Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   SSL Duality .. Did anyone mixed on it yet ? Hard to find any review on it.... (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/106493-ssl-duality-did-anyone-mixed-yet-hard-find-any-review.html)

pw8888 29th January 2007 07:21 PM

SSL Duality .. Did anyone mixed on it yet ? Hard to find any review on it....
 
I know that few consoles are around and would like to know what YOU think of it.
Sound first...
Did anyone found any review about it ? I can't found anything on the net....

thanks
P.

ringoman 30th January 2007 12:49 AM

I received my duality three days ago.
give me some time and I'll try to tell.
cheers,
p.

theother 30th January 2007 01:05 AM

The problem with reviews from Duality owners is they hardly will tell you that their $200.000 purchase sucks.heh

So we have to wait to get worthwhile feedback from clients or engineers who worked there.

CJ from SSL told me you can drive the duality better than the J/K. That means it breaks up in a nicer way when driven hard.

I would also like to know how useable the 2nd/3rd Drive on the inputs is.

ringoman, keep us posted! Congrats on the desk!

OKden 30th January 2007 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theother (Post 1099794)
I would also like to know how useable the 2nd/3rd Drive on the inputs is.

ringoman, keep us posted! Congrats on the desk!

Me too. I got to hear the console, but not do any tracking. As I understood it, if you drive the preamp, there is no way to trim the level back except with the direct out knob. That means you're hammering the input to the EQ or Dyn if you choose to use it. Is the answer to use two channels?mezed

I miss a mode where the large faders are analog only, instead of DCAs. I realize it's necessary in order to use it as a controller on the fly, but it'd sure be great to have a mode where an all analog path is avialable from input to output.

I also didn't get to see the modules. Pulling a module isn't as easy as on other SSLs. What chips are they using to draw such low current? (I was told that the Duality has slightly less headroom than a J/K.)


I too look foward to hearing more reviews. peachh

delcosmos 30th January 2007 04:11 AM

Soon...

drew 30th January 2007 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKden (Post 1100055)
As I understood it, if you drive the preamp, there is no way to trim the level back except with the direct out knob. That means you're hammering the input to the EQ or Dyn if you choose to use it. Is the answer to use two channels?mezed

This is not true. Each channel has a trim control (+/- 20db) just after the dual mic amp.


I'm freelance and have tracked 4 records on one already. I love it. The DCA's are cool. No more dirty faders, no more dirty master volume pot. And you can certainly get an all analog signal path straight through. Not sure I follow what you're saying here.

The VHD is cool as hell IMO. I've written about it elsewhere. It's subtle at first but can be driven hard and gives you a lot of color options while sitting right at the desk.

I'll be happy to answer any specific questions anyone has.
drew

delcosmos 30th January 2007 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drew (Post 1100205)
This is not true. Each channel has a trim control (+/- 20db) just after the dual mic amp.
I'm freelance and have tracked 4 records on one already. I love it. The DCA's are cool. No more dirty faders, no more dirty master volume pot. And you can certainly get an all analog signal path straight through. Not sure I follow what you're saying here.

The VHD is cool as hell IMO. I've written about it elsewhere. It's subtle at first but can be driven hard and gives you a lot of color options while sitting right at the desk.
drew

mmm... sounds good to me.

Thanks for your comments.

Best regards.

blaugruen7 30th January 2007 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ringoman (Post 1099773)
I received my duality three days ago.
give me some time and I'll try to tell.
cheers,
p.

cool. a german duality user.
please post some pictures.
i dont ask for mp3s...gooof

pw8888 30th January 2007 09:16 AM

Ringoman,kfhkh
What model did you get ? (48,72,96?) ?
I will go my self to the factory (mid feb) and will let everybody what I think.
I am really wondering how hard you can puch them ....?!?
And if the sound is going to 2 or 3 dimensional (if you know what I mean)
Mix,Resolution,Sound on Sound etc... neither of them did a test on it ? Or did I miss them ?

theother 30th January 2007 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drew (Post 1100205)
This is not true. Each channel has a trim control (+/- 20db) just after the dual mic amp.


I'm freelance and have tracked 4 records on one already. I love it. The DCA's are cool. No more dirty faders, no more dirty master volume pot. And you can certainly get an all analog signal path straight through. Not sure I follow what you're saying here.

The VHD is cool as hell IMO. I've written about it elsewhere. It's subtle at first but can be driven hard and gives you a lot of color options while sitting right at the desk.

I'll be happy to answer any specific questions anyone has.
drew

All analog path is not true, there will always be the DCA in it. But they are pretty good, so I don't mind.

You can have an all analog path to record though with the Direct Out and that's good enough for me.

I also prefer the DCA to the 'old' motor faders that had audio going through.

No headaches with the alignment anymore (Ultimation G+/J/K) which was a nightmare and the VCA/audiopath would never perfectly align to start with.

If the Duality has a decent sound you certainly have a lot less headaches than with the earlier desks. And I mean A LOT.
No more dirty switches & faders.

The channels are easy to get out BTW.

Let's hope the Duality has enough headroom. That's my main concern. Especially with the 72 and 96 channel versions. Would like to know how it handles a full mix with 72/96 channels.

syra 30th January 2007 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theother (Post 1099794)
The problem with reviews from Duality owners is they hardly will tell you that their $200.000 purchase sucks.heh

...makes sense. Personally I would have no problem to come out and say that the duality didn't meet my expectations. I already criticized the fact that I'd like more sends and the ability to switch on/off dynamics from the master section - is that really a deal breaker though? No by a long shot.

Duality exceeded my expectations and I had lots. A few bugs/features have still to be ironed out but if I felt as strong for other purchases as this one I would be a very happy camper.

IMO compared to other consoles (new or old) the advantages of this board easily outweigh its disadvantages.

And yes. I love the way it sounds.

pw8888 30th January 2007 08:55 PM

thanks guys !

ringoman 31st January 2007 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pw8888 (Post 1100542)
Ringoman,kfhkh
What model did you get ? (48,72,96?) ?
I will go my self to the factory (mid feb) and will let everybody what I think.
I am really wondering how hard you can puch them ....?!?
And if the sound is going to 2 or 3 dimensional (if you know what I mean)
Mix,Resolution,Sound on Sound etc... neither of them did a test on it ? Or did I miss them ?

Hi pw8888,
Its a 48 channel.
I had an AWS900 before and loved the sound but needed more channels.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/images/icons/icon12.gif
I've finished the installation today and I'm starting tomorrow.
best regards

pw8888 31st January 2007 12:38 AM

keep us informed !

tsd 31st January 2007 06:52 AM

although im not a Duality owner, i can tell you that after a 2 hour demo today that it is a very special console! it has all the things i love about G/E SSL's and all the things that are annoying or limiting have been radically improved. the best part being that every component has (speaking in general) 2 different sounds (EQ, DYN, Pres etc) so your not limited in that aspect.

it has a number of quite amazing ideas and looks to be a unique but familiar console

tsd 31st January 2007 06:55 AM

BTW the overdrive on the preamp is no gimic, it sounds fantasticl!!!

blaugruen7 31st January 2007 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ringoman (Post 1101881)
Hi pw8888,
Its a 48 channel.
I had an AWS900 before and loved the sound but needed more channels.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/images/icons/icon12.gif
I've finished the installation today and I'm starting tomorrow.
best regards

are you patrik?
maybe you like to join the next berlin gearslutz meeting.
that would be fun. its always a colorful bunch of people.

Andi Rauscher 31st January 2007 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaugruen7 (Post 1102793)
you are patrik?
maybe you like to join the next berlin gearslutz meeting.
that would be fun. its always a colorful bunch of people.

yeah, I think so, too...
P., Du bist ertappt! ;-)

Blaugruen, he´s already invited via PM to the Gear Slutz Group.
hittt

ringoman 31st January 2007 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andi Rauscher (Post 1102827)
yeah, I think so, too...
P., Du bist ertappt! ;-)

Blaugruen, he´s already invited via PM to the Gear Slutz Group.
hittt

caught.
thanks for invitation.
p.

Andi Rauscher 1st February 2007 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ringoman (Post 1104103)
caught.
thanks for invitation.
p.

heh kfhkh

imacgreg 1st February 2007 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theother (Post 1100680)
All analog path is not true, there will always be the DCA in it. But they are pretty good, so I don't mind.

.

This still doesn't make any sense. If they are using a DCA (Digitally Controlled Amplifier) then the audio path is still all analog. The only thing that could make the path not entirely analog is a set of AD and DAs, which I highly doubt they are using.

I'm not sure of the topology they use for their DCA, but could be something like a network of FETs forming a very fine stepped attenuator. The "on-off" state of the individual FETS can be controlled digitally, but the audio passing through them is still analog. I'm sure it is much more complicated, or it could be a different topology all-together. Point is, just because something is Digitally controlled does not mean that the audio must be converted to digital and back.

Ian

theother 1st February 2007 10:47 AM

I think what was meant is a 'pure analog' path. No VCA's etc.

DCAs and VCAs are pretty good these days, so for me that isn't a problem anyway.

Of course there is no digital in the path.

IPLayHamers 9th February 2007 07:11 AM

from Mix Online: Duality pricing begins at less than $200,000 for a 48-frame version, making it a viable alternative to an older E , G or J Series console. Other than the number of channels (48, 72 or 96), options are few, but include 12-degree wings for the extra channels and a choice of patchbays. Duality is now shipping. The first board went to a Japanese studio last month and other pre-launch orders are in production.

delcosmos 9th February 2007 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IPLayHamers (Post 1120982)
Duality pricing begins at less than $200,000 for a 48-frame version

Really? where?

theother 9th February 2007 08:22 PM

In dreamland...khrthjdrt

Lindell 11th February 2007 02:46 PM

"it's huuuuuuuge".......

http://www.solid-state-logic.com/ima...oMusic_web.jpg

Dan 11th February 2007 02:58 PM

Whadup Pimp?
 
Could you post a larger picture? I can't quite read the scribble strips.




Nice board!boing

blaugruen7 11th February 2007 07:38 PM

lindell,
where is this studio?
its hard to decide panorama settings when you work on the rightest channel...gooof

blaugruen7 11th February 2007 08:21 PM

yes delcosmos. i think its "cool"!!!!
in near future i foresee something similiar in your personal life.
gooof
all the best!

Matt Salazar 11th February 2007 09:35 PM

Has the Duality Pricing been posted anywere. I thought I saw it in one of these threads, but I can't seem to find it.