Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   Electronaut M63 or other Tube Pre? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/106446-electronaut-m63-other-tube-pre.html)

rids 29th January 2007 03:17 PM

Electronaut M63, A-Designs MP-2A, or other Tube Pre?

I'm pretty set on getting a M63. They seem like agreat deal being able to switch new tubes and transformers in and out of the unit for different colors. Never heard of any preamp being able to do that. I considered the Pendulum MDP-1 and A Designs MP2A along with the V72, but I think the M63 being so versatile is too tough to pass up. They are a new company, but this really seems like a nice one. Any thoughts/suggestions on the M63 or other tube pres?

C/G 29th January 2007 04:03 PM

The M63 is the next tube pre I will buy. Period. Right now I have a Mercury M72 which I adore. I pretty much sold off every tube pre I owned after I got the M72 and made comparasins, so the UA 2-610 and Tab Funkenwerk pair got sold.

I've been talking with Rob Roy, the builder/designer of Electronaut over the past year or so about the M63 and it's available options but havn't been able to scrape the cash together yet. It will happen soon and I'm getting impatient about it.

Like you I was/am considering the Pendulum but I want something with more vibe to it, plus one could easily change the mannerisms of the pre with a tube or transformer swap.

rids 30th January 2007 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin Gaucher (Post 1098657)
Like you I was/am considering the Pendulum but I want something with more vibe to it, plus one could easily change the mannerisms of the pre with a tube or transformer swap.

Yeah, the quality and versatily combined almost make it a no brainer for me. There are other tube pres that seem real nice, but none of them seem to offer what this can.

rob99 30th January 2007 04:27 PM

m63 owner

hi, I own the m63 with the variable feedback option. GET IT. Rob Roy chose tube types that makes it easy to source many different kinds in each type. The sound color of the m63 very, very flexible.

And it looks fantastic. Everyone who sees it is impressed.

good luck
rob

rids 31st January 2007 01:25 AM

Yeah, I think I will get it. I remember T. Ray in another thread mentioning he thought the M63 was on the clean side but more creamier and warmer than the Pendulum. Is there a configuration that would be good for adding some color on the M63?

rids 1st February 2007 01:27 AM

Has anyone seen T Ray Bullard around here? Haven't seen him for a while. I know he's used a M63.

C/G 1st February 2007 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rids (Post 1104332)
Has anyone seen T Ray Bullard around here? Haven't seen him for a while. I know he's used a M63.

I talk to him once in a while. He's living on a farm in NC right now with no internet.

jeff deff 1st February 2007 04:49 PM

I had the pleasure of using a M63 once. It is a work of art. The build quality is top notch and it sounds fantastic. Also, Rob Roy is a genius and all around swell guy. It is like a piece of gear from another era, made like they used to make'm.

rids 8th March 2007 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C/G (Post 1098657)
The M63 is the next tube pre I will buy. Period. Right now I have a Mercury M72 which I adore. I pretty much sold off every tube pre I owned after I got the M72 and made comparasins, so the UA 2-610 and Tab Funkenwerk pair got sold.

Was that the TAB Funkenwerk V-78M you sold? The Mercury looks great, but it's out of my price range right now.

Alright, I'm about to buy a tube pre probably this month. I think I've narrowed it down to the Electronaut M63 and the A-Designs MP-2A. Both look great. I'm really leaning towards the M63 because of the options on it. (The Pendulum MDP-1 is out) I was looking at something like a V72, but am not completely sure.

So I'm about to put the hammer down, any last comments or requests on tube pres? hittt

C/G 8th March 2007 10:02 PM

yeah, I had a pair of V-78M that I sold. I kind of miss them already but at the time I needed to sell something so I usually opt to sell something that I can easily buy again.

The M72s was expensive, but damn, I love it.

The M63 is still in the back of my mind but as of now, I find it hard to plop down $2000 all at once. I, like you am considering the MP-2a since I can buy one locally and do the half now half later payment thing if needed.

I would still really love an Electronaut.

emkay 8th March 2007 10:09 PM

I visited their site a couple of weeks ago and sent an email-no response. Anyone know what the pricing is?....thanks

rids 11th March 2007 04:28 AM

I'm strongly considering the MP-2A and am almost torn. But the M63 pulls me to it since you can change out transformers and tubess for a ton of options. I like options.

I wish someone around here has ABed these 2. They both seem great. Not sure about the pricing, but I think it's cheaper or around the MP-2A price. But that's just a guess.

C/G 13th March 2007 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rids (Post 1172897)
I'm strongly considering the MP-2A and am almost torn. But the M63 pulls me to it since you can change out transformers and tubess for a ton of options. I like options.

I wish someone around here has ABed these 2. They both seem great. Not sure about the pricing, but I think it's cheaper or around the MP-2A price. But that's just a guess.

I'm with you but available cash is scarce right now and I want another 2ch Tube pre.

The Electronaut used to be $1800 US but Rob Roy mentiond he has to raise the price. I'm thinking around $2200 or so.

jdunn 20th May 2007 08:45 PM

bump. I emailed Rob Roy and he said that he hasn't been able to build any preamps for a while due to problems with the metalwork. He's got it ironed out now, and will be back in production in about a month. He said that there are a number of back orders to fill, so it sounds like you'll need to be patient if you want one of these. He didn't mention anything about the price, but if the metalwork supplier changed, it's understandable that the price may change. Still.... it seems like a great deal for what he's offering.

Jamz 2nd June 2007 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rids (Post 1104332)

Teddy called me yesterday and we spoke a while on the phone. He is living on a farm in North Carolina and adjusting quite nicely to post military life. He does not have internet access. To some degree he considers that a plus as it has allowed more time for reading and other interests.
Of course we caught up on some gear talk. He's having his mics moded and is very happy with his DAV and Pendulum pres.
He has an earlier version of the Electronaut M63 and considers it to be something very special. Last fall after Teddy raved about the M63 I called Rob Roy a couple of times. Very smart fellow and really into this unit. Seemed he was continually altering/improving the design. At that point in time he expected new production to start up the beginning of the new year (2007). Last communication I had with him somewhere around March he expected production in May. I sent a couple of emails
probably in April or beginning of May but have not heard back.

84K 2nd June 2007 04:24 PM

I wonder how many Electronaut M63's have been made? I also wonder if he has seattled on the design yet? Some look at it as him constantly revising the design. I look at it as him selling the product before all the R&D is complete. Which, if I bought an early one, I would probably be a tad angry. But then again, people like Teddy Ray seem to really be happy with it, so if it really sounds that good I wouldn't care, but still...
Its funny.

Jamz 2nd June 2007 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 84K (Post 1306590)
I wonder how many Electronaut M63's have been made? I also wonder if he has seattled on the design yet? Some look at it as him constantly revising the design. I look at it as him selling the product before all the R&D is complete. Which, if I bought an early one, I would probably be a tad angry. But then again, people like Teddy Ray seem to really be happy with it, so if it really sounds that good I wouldn't care, but still...
Its funny.

Sounds like you just pointed out one of the downsides of hardware gooof

84K 4th June 2007 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamz (Post 1307020)
Sounds like you just pointed out one of the downsides of hardware gooof

five letters for ya:

Wfuuck Afuuck Vfuuck Efuuck Sfuuck

gooof Those middle fingers are NOT aimed at you my friend, just waves. My ass still hurts from the Mercury Bundle. abduction gruudge

Jamz 4th June 2007 07:40 PM

LOL! heh

I've got one thread for ya...
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...ompressor.html

84K 4th June 2007 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamz (Post 1309396)
LOL! heh

I've got one thread for ya...
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...ompressor.html

Yep. There are all kinds. shiee

At least I got my money back and Vintage King handled it like the pros they are kfhkh

Jamz 4th June 2007 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 84K (Post 1309566)
Yep. There are all kinds. shiee

At least I got my money back and Vintage King handled it like the pros they are kfhkh

Glad to hear you got your money back instead of the store credit.

There are Pros and cons regarding aspects with both hardware and software. I've been around long enough to have both proponents check my prostate...a few times heppy
All in all the Mercury upgrade was a short jump for me and while I have issues with their policies I must admit they're software is very good. I love many of the new pieces in Mercury. I also very much look forward to Rob Roy's piece when it's available. However, I'll wait until it's being produced before paying for it.
Rock n Roll!~

84K 4th June 2007 10:41 PM

Cheers! I look forward to your review of it... Always good for accurate insight. kfhkh

stike ROCKNFUKNROLL! stike

Jamz 4th June 2007 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 84K (Post 1309681)
Cheers! I look forward to your review of it... Always good for accurate insight. kfhkh

stike ROCKNFUKNROLL! stike

Cool! If I ever get one I promise you'll be the second to hear it.

Ciao!

Hey!!! Rob Roy!!!! Where are ya't babe????

electronaut 7th July 2009 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamz (Post 1309766)

Hey!!! Rob Roy!!!! Where are ya't babe????

Somehow I managed to overlook this thread for two years...

Anyway, after spending considerable time setting up my own little metal shop, I am now making preamplifiers again. I make the aluminum enclosures myself, from scratch, because I had so much trouble getting small quantities of nicely made parts from other metal shops.

Regarding the changing design... the M63 did change quite a bit over the years. Actually, the amplifier circuits changed very little -- mostly just the physical design. The changes weren't due to lack of R&D, as 84K suggested, but because I struggled for a long time to come up with a design that was actually affordable to build.

I can say with certainty that the current version of the M63 is here for good -- I will not be changing anything as I am super happy with the build quality and, especially, the sound of it, and I've been over the moon about the feedback I've been getting from people about it. I will be assembling a list of testimonials from people over the next two weeks or so, which I will post on my website.

Website has been updated with some photos & info, etc. www.electronaut.info

Thanks again for your interest, people!

-Rob Roy

Isle of Weight 8th July 2009 04:41 AM

http://www.electronaut.info/Vague/M63_Insides.html

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm
Rob, nice pics, I wanna know more!
I'm in the chicagoland area, do you allow visitors?

AA
abduction

electronaut 8th July 2009 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isle of Weight (Post 4355489)
http://www.electronaut.info/Vague/M63_Insides.html

I'm in the chicagoland area, do you allow visitors?

Absolutely. Send me an email and we can plan a date & time...

-RobRoy

info at electronaut dot info

Isle of Weight 9th July 2009 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by electronaut (Post 4355562)
Absolutely. Send me an email and we can plan a date & time...

-RobRoy

info at electronaut dot info

SWEET!
I PMed you

abduction

theo aronson 12th September 2010 06:20 PM

Also, just want to give my boy George Hajioannou at Studio Logic Sound a shout out for originally introducing me to electronaut.

I believe George is a dealer for them now so if you are interested in buying you can reach out to him for pricing and availability: george at studiologicsound dot com.

Plush 12th September 2010 07:45 PM

Here in Chicago I have never seen or heard the mic amp. I would like to hear it. I am always interested in supporting home town products.

Is the sound phat?

Currently for tube mic amps we are using Thermionic Culture, D.W. Fearn, and Presonus ADL 600.

electronaut 13th September 2010 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plush (Post 5780124)
Here in Chicago I have never seen or heard the mic amp. I would like to hear it. I am always interested in supporting home town products.

Plush and anyone else who lives or finds themselves in Chicago:

My lab and shop are right in the city, in West Town, so if you're ever interested in stopping by and taking a look around or seeing an M63 upclose, or hearing me blab for hours on end about all the reasons why I think tubes make better audio amplifiers, feel free to PM me or email me and we can hook it up.

Also, Plush, since we're city-mates, I'd be happy to set you up with one of my demo units for you to try out, if you're interested. I always appreciate constructive feedback!

Thanks,

-Rob Roy