Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/)
-   -   Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim OB6 (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1058699-dave-smith-tom-oberheim-ob6.html)

wendell r. 21st January 2016 01:49 PM

Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim OB6

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/product/ob-6/

"The OB-6 is a once-in-a-lifetime collaboration between two of the most influential synth designers in history — Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim. It’s an all-analog, 6-voice poly synth with voltage-controlled oscillators, a state-variable filter, and voltage-controlled amplifiers, inspired by Tom’s original SEM design — the bedrock of his legendary 4-voice and 8-voice synthesizers.
Manufactured and sold by Dave Smith Instruments, the OB-6 features six discrete analog voices with two oscillators (plus sub oscillator) per voice, continuously variable waveshapes with triangle, sawtooth, and variable-width pulse waves, X-mod with 2 sources and 5 destination, a 64-step polyphonic step sequencer, dual digital effects that include faithful recreations of Tom’s acclaimed phase shifter and ring , a full-featured arpeggiator, and a powerful, in-your-face, sonic signature like no other instrument.
This analog is packed into a four-octave, semi-weighted keyboard with velocity and channel aftertouch, making it perfect for stage or studio."

rasseru 21st January 2016 01:52 PM

first

StepLogik 21st January 2016 01:52 PM

Since this was a collaboration with Dave Smith it will probably have MIDI!

thedealman 21st January 2016 01:54 PM

HOLY!!!! boing

hogberto 21st January 2016 01:56 PM

£2,249 according to the link. :cop:

sold. kfhkh

PoundTound 21st January 2016 01:57 PM

Seriously a great time to be alive

A.M 21st January 2016 01:59 PM

you win again dave, time to commence wallet preparations.abductionboing

kslight 21st January 2016 01:59 PM

Bwahaha 4 octave Keybed again!

Yup figured it would use the SEM filter from the Pro 2.

soundxplorer 21st January 2016 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hogberto (Post 11633652)
£2,249 according to the link. :cop:

sold. kfhkh

Might as well jump (jump!) at that price. kfhkh

Mitch101 21st January 2016 02:00 PM

So for the ob inexpierienced, what should I expect to be different from the regular Dave smith offerings? I know my prophet is pretty brassy, my moog is warm and does amazing bass, what's ob famous for?

Soothing Sound 21st January 2016 02:00 PM

!!!

carlosacosta 21st January 2016 02:02 PM

Finally, cover bands can play "Jump" without getting burnt at the stake. $3k seems right for a Tom/Dave love child.

xanax 21st January 2016 02:02 PM

Interesting. was not expecting another 6-voice VCO synth by them.. ?!! :amaze:

synthtonic 21st January 2016 02:03 PM

This is for me! Excellent.

''a 64-step polyphonic step sequencer, dual digital effects that include faithful recreations of Tom’s acclaimed phase shifter and ring modulator'',.

StepLogik 21st January 2016 02:04 PM

Dave Smith is a stand-up guy! To work with Tom Oberheim - a former serious competitor - is pretty cool. By using Dave's R&D and manufacturing facilities he was able to get a more mainstream (as opposed to the SEM) product to market and hopefully without months/years of backorder delays. I'm actually surprised this hadn't happened sooner. It might be interesting to see if Dave collaborates with other synth "legends" to release updated versions of classics.

I can't wait to hear it!

wendell r. 21st January 2016 02:05 PM

I find this an absolutely astonishing collaboration. I'm even more stunned than last year.

ranzee 21st January 2016 02:06 PM

I love the Oberheim sound ... This is great news ... and confirms a few rumours that I read.

Australians will see this in 2017. Time to move to the U.S.

Vertflyer 21st January 2016 02:07 PM

Could this be seen as a P6 with Oberheim filter? Or do you think the VCOs are reworked as well?

ToyBox 21st January 2016 02:08 PM

So people guessed right, this is cool!

recnsci 21st January 2016 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitch101 (Post 11633668)
what's ob famous for?

Everything. As in, "Every position of every control on SEM/OBX is in one huge sweet spot". This will be IMveryHO biggest test for OB6: will it so effortlessly sound so great what ever you do to it, as it's predecessors did? Regardless of this issue, OB6 is new and undisputed king of poly analog kingdom, that goes without saying.

SonicBern 21st January 2016 02:09 PM

Really looking forward to hearing this...

patrickdafunk 21st January 2016 02:11 PM

OMG!!!! boingboingboingboingboingboingboing

too bad about the 4 octaves though. did anybody screencap it??

shimoyjk 21st January 2016 02:14 PM

Yeeeessssss! ;)jkthtyrt

That Other Guy 21st January 2016 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoundTound (Post 11633653)
Seriously a great time to be alive

Man... this might be the last expensive a$$ overpriced synth he sells if the likes of Korg keep doing what they're doing. Nobody but diehard gear headz will buy another 6 voice poly when you got a 4 voice with similar specs over there... for 500. Can you imagine if Korg put 6 times the effort in the Minilogue but sold it for $3000? It would come with a personal bodyguard to keep your wife/girlfriend away for 2 weeks.

antilles 21st January 2016 02:18 PM

I'm really looking forward to hearing that. (And seeing it)

GeminIAm 21st January 2016 02:20 PM

Really excited about this boing

zawinul 21st January 2016 02:21 PM

buying this and matrixbrute.... thats the first 2 albums made in my head! :cop::cop::cop:coogecoogecooge:synth::synth::synth:boingboingboingboingboingjkthtyrt:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

shimoyjk 21st January 2016 02:26 PM

Somewhat agree

Quote:

Originally Posted by That Other Guy (Post 11633740)
Man... this might be the last expensive a$$ overpriced synth he sells if the likes of Korg keep doing what they're doing. Nobody but diehard gear headz will buy another 6 voice poly when you got a 4 voice with similar specs over there... for 500. Can you imagine if Korg put 6 times the effort in the Minilogue but sold it for $3000? It would come with a personal bodyguard to keep your wife/girlfriend away for 2 weeks.

I would say it is not over priced, but Korg can produce that cheap because it is pretty big company compare to dsi, isn't it?

I am worrying that if yamaha, roland, and korg decied to keep develope synth for very affordable price thaf might kill other companies like Dsi, waldorf and few others. Just saying.

I came from South korea and saw how samsung and hyundai dominated little companies, and I don't think that is good for us because we need variety for sure.

Firechild 21st January 2016 02:26 PM

This is so strange...why a competing product with his own Prophet 6 ?
For Tom it is of course a win situation , everybody knows the manufacturing part is not his best side.

Benzebub 21st January 2016 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zawinul (Post 11633754)
buying this and matrixbrute.... thats the first 2 albums made in my head! :cop::cop::cop:coogecoogecooge:synth::synth::synth:boingboingboingboingboingjkthtyrt:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Slutty setup, indeed!