Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Video Production and Post-Production (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/video-production-and-post-production/)
-   -   Premiere workflow for multi-take classical video editing? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/video-production-and-post-production/1050006-premiere-workflow-multi-take-classical-video-editing.html)

bkazez 8th December 2015 08:07 PM

Premiere workflow for multi-take classical video editing?

Hello,

I'm recording classical pieces with multiple takes and want to get into editing takes together. Audio/video sync has to stay perfect. Does anyone here do this in Premiere? How? (The multi-cam source sequence doesn't work since these takes can vary quite a bit in timing.)

If this is the wrong place for such a question, please let me know where else to post!

Ben

Thomas W. Bethe 23rd December 2015 12:30 PM

We have done this. Maybe PM me and we can chat about this.

georgia 24th December 2015 01:55 PM

easy to do in Premier.

bkazez 24th December 2015 05:35 PM

Georgia, would you mind sharing your workflow for clip selection and finding/adjusting audio edit points while maintaining video sync?

bkazez 24th December 2015 09:05 PM

In particular, I've heard the recommendation to do the audio editing separately and then slip/slide to sync the video manually at each cut. It would also be possible to do all the editing in Premiere and try to keep the video/audio takes together, but the need for differently timed audio from video cuts makes this slightly more involved. I'm curious (1) how people do it and (2) how people organize their workflow.

georgia 10th January 2016 04:57 PM

the real trick to to make sure you are recoding audio on a quality second system and slating takes or locking the sound recorder and all cameras to a timecode source. Once you've set up correctly the post is easy. First simply take the final mix and drop it in a time line. Then with the single camera (or if multi-cam you need to create the multicam clips ) drop video clip with the temp audio track onto a time line and sync the temp audio and image with pluralize or by eye and lock those together. Then move the locked clips to the master time line and sync by eye to the wave form from the temp track and the master mix. it takes time but it'll give you the best audio/video lock. Also make sure the video monitor you are using has the proper amount of delay compensation ( if any ) to the audio playback option you are using. Then edit the piece accordingly and turn off the temp audio.

cheers
geo

bkazez 10th January 2016 05:51 PM

Thanks so much for replying, Georgia! Unfortunately I think I lost you partway through your explanation. Is any of this right?

1. Edited audio-only mix goes to the timeline
2. Video clip from a "primary" take (whichever shares the most audio material in the result of #1 ) goes to the timeline
3. Drop video clips from "secondary" takes on the timeline and sync based on waveforms.

Thanks again for sharing your immense experience with a newcomer!

Ben

georgia 16th January 2016 04:17 AM

that's pretty much it.

LarryS 17th January 2016 07:56 PM

Thanks -- have been doing this and though it requires so much repeated audio-syncing of each short clip, it does seem to work very well!

jasonwole2n 4th March 2016 06:21 AM

I haven’t tried doing it my own yet but am trying to plan something. Last month I made a product video with the help of a commercial video production team in Hamilton and they have done a good job in picturising, editing and also in sound mixing. So I gave them my second project too and waiting to release soon.