Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   So Many Guitars, So Little Time (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-many-guitars-so-little-time/)
-   -   Best Tremolo Pedal (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-many-guitars-so-little-time/1047926-best-tremolo-pedal.html)

CJ1973 28th November 2015 06:56 AM

Best Tremolo Pedal

Looking for a few options here, Analog. I've heard of Lightfoot Labs Goatkeeper. Tempo options besides Tap if possible....Any other options out there?

Thanks heaps!!

axs1 28th November 2015 09:04 AM

Not pure analog, but Strymon Flint is very nice sounding, and very tweakable. Also has a very nice reverb on it. With expression pedal you can control the speed.

Joe Porto 28th November 2015 09:10 AM

I really dig my Empress Tremolo2. Does tap tempo or you can program 8 preset tempos. It also has 8 programmed rhythms and can sync to MIDI with their optional MIDIbox. Waveform options are square, triangle and "tube".

SoundSlinger 28th November 2015 09:18 AM

+ 1 for Strymon Flint. They make good stuff.

Mylithra 28th November 2015 01:10 PM

The Empress is one of the nicer sounding tremolos out there. The tap tempo digital control with analog signal path is nice. The control on this is actually very sophisticated. Does far more than what you set the knobs at its easy enough and powerful enough to do whatever you ask of it.

Dr. Scientist tremoloessence is amazing. Probably the best sounding tremolo out there (IMO). It has a lighted rate knob that pulses with the rate of the tremolo. It does have a jack for external control of the rate by expression pedal. I used a 10 turn pot to fine control the rate.

The Gravitas is also a nice trem pedal. Great sound, great control and lots of control options the others don't have. Also tap tempo control-able in a standard small pedal footprint. Lots of external control options.

I actually own all of these. The Empress is on my pedalboard because I need the tap tempo control. If the Dr. Scientist had tap tempo, I would probably be using that as I think it sounds better.

Joe Porto 28th November 2015 05:28 PM

Wampler Latitude is also nice.... tap tempo with subdivisions. It has an "space" control for shortening space between the waveform for a really short staccato effect, and also has an "attack" control to alter the rise of the waveform....so you can get some really interesting, non-traditional tremolo sounds.

TonyS 28th November 2015 05:30 PM

Not sure which is best. The Cusack Tap-A-Whirl V3 will do everything you asked for and much more.

donsolo 29th November 2015 06:53 AM

I like my little guyatone VT-2, when I don't have tube bias trem available on my amp at the gig. I still prefer tube bias trem. So, my actual answer is "the foot switch to my Vibrolux. That's my favorite trem pedal."

The only complaint I have about my VT-2 is that there's a little volume boost when you engage it. It was actually my first pedal ever. Two knobs and a switch. I still am glad I got it, even though I was a little disappointed in tremolo as an effect until later.

I've used the pigtronix echolution. That's got a ton of great tremolo settings. I like the interface better than the strymon screen.

phillyn 29th November 2015 09:01 AM

T-Rex Tremster

stratobuc 29th November 2015 09:29 AM

The best one for me is the VFE Old School. There are a lot of other tremolos with more features, but this one simply sounds best to my ear, and works best in real working settings.

norbury brook 29th November 2015 05:46 PM

Demeter Tremulator is very nice, designed for Ry Cooder.

MC

aramism 29th November 2015 05:49 PM

what's the "holy grail" tremolo? in other words even stuff from 30 years ago. the "dyna comp" or "phase 90" or "big muff" of tremolo?

Joe Porto 29th November 2015 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramism (Post 11511669)
what's the "holy grail" tremolo? in other words even stuff from 30 years ago. the "dyna comp" or "phase 90" or "big muff" of tremolo?

I would say bias-modulated tube tremolo such as that found in the Fender Tweed Tremolux.

aramism 29th November 2015 06:45 PM

I should've indicated pedal or non amp form. Rack?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Porto (Post 11511709)
I would say bias-modulated tube tremolo such as that found in the Fender Tweed Tremolux.

mcgruff 29th November 2015 07:42 PM

Quote:

For me it would be the Strymon Flint because you get a variety of tremolo types in one pedal - and reverb.

Zoobiedood 29th November 2015 07:48 PM

The Shapeshifter Tremolo isn't analog, but it has tap tempo, ratio (for different tap options) and is stereo, so those trems can pan back and forth. You also get choices of the shape of the trem, too.

Jeff Scott 29th November 2015 10:00 PM

Here's another vote for the Strymon Flint. Fantastic tremolos, and the other side of the pedal, the one with the reverbs, fantastic, too! :) Well, except for the '60s spring reverb, which doesn't sound all that great, to me, but the '70s and '80s reverbs are the bomb! kfhkh

RicTone 29th November 2015 11:47 PM

This Joyo Tremolo pedal is excellent and it's currently only $35.99 USD. Joyo Tremolo JF-09 Pedal | CheaperPedals.com I love mine, it's a workhorse and sounds fantastic.

Snorktop 30th November 2015 04:06 AM

Quote:

what's the "holy grail" tremolo? in other words even stuff from 30 years ago.

It's called a Leslie rotating speaker and they still make them, not sure why more guitarists don't use them, they spank the pedals like an evil merchant. The holy grail pedal is the '60s Shin-ei Uni-Vibe.

Joe Porto 30th November 2015 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snorktop (Post 11512822)
It's called a Leslie rotating speaker and they still make them, not sure why more guitarists don't use them, they spank the pedals like an evil merchant. The holy grail pedal is the '60s Shin-ei Uni-Vibe.

Neither of which are tremolo FX. The Leslie does modulate volume somewhat, but mainly modulates pitch due to the Doppler effect. The Univibe modulates pitch as well (and mixes it with the dry signal to create it's signature sound). Both these FX are for the most part vibrato FX, not tremolo FX.

delichef 30th November 2015 06:17 AM

I've tried Fulltone Supatrem, Toneczar Powerglide, Strymon Flint and Suhr Jackrabbit. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. The Fulltone and Toneczar seemed to have that extra "something" when they are on (like an extension of the amp if that makes sense). The Suhr felt the most functional to me and has more goodies in it (and sounds great too). The Strymon has a great rep, but you wanted analog. If I could only pick one, it'd be the Suhr based on how much I use trem and the features. But I don't have to pick only one, so I get to keep the power glide too. ;)

[email protected] 30th November 2015 08:25 AM

I just use a Zoom MS-50G. It does a really good trem plus a whole lot of other FXs if you need them. A toolkit stomp if there was ever one.

Snorktop 30th November 2015 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Porto (Post 11512922)
Neither of which are tremolo FX. The Leslie does modulate volume somewhat, but mainly modulates pitch due to the Doppler effect. The Univibe modulates pitch as well (and mixes it with the dry signal to create it's signature sound). Both these FX are for the most part vibrato FX, not tremolo FX.

That's right chief, Leslie does both, she'll do anyone. Nobody with any talent uses FX pedals anyway.

Whitecat 30th November 2015 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snorktop (Post 11513158)
Nobody with any talent uses FX pedals anyway.

:lol: riiiight. heppy

blakestree 30th November 2015 05:50 PM

I don't limit myself to "analog only" anything. And, really, I don't worry too much over trems. I have a ZVex Sonar that I love because it does wonderful, weird things. If I had to choose another it would probably be a Dr. Scientist Tremolessence or Tidal Waveforms Tremulust.

Jeff Scott 1st December 2015 12:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snorktop (Post 11513158)
Nobody with any talent uses FX pedals anyway.

Here's one you might find helpful. ;)

kafka 1st December 2015 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoobiedood (Post 11511908)
The Shapeshifter Tremolo isn't analog, but it has tap tempo, ratio (for different tap options) and is stereo, so those trems can pan back and forth. You also get choices of the shape of the trem, too.

I use the older green mono Shapeshifter. It's a really nice pedal.

Jeff Scott 1st December 2015 12:08 AM

I forgot about the analog preference (although I still think you should check out the Flint kfhkh). I was going to buy this pedal until I learned about how great the Flint is.

Snorktop 1st December 2015 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitecat (Post 11513264)
:lol: riiiight. heppy

Hendrix, Clapton, Page, Beck, SRV, EVH, Vai, Gilmour, Satriani never used tremelo pedal they just hit the volume pedal really fast. Cocaine is a helluva drug.

kafka 1st December 2015 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snorktop (Post 11514634)
Hendrix, Clapton, Page, Beck, SRV, EVH, Vai, Gilmour, Satriani never used tremelo pedal they just hit the volume pedal really fast. Cocaine is a helluva drug.

It's amphetamines that make your limbs shake like that, not cocaine.