Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Remote Possibilities in Location Recording & Production (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remote-possibilities-in-location-recording-amp-production/)
-   -   Marantz Professional PMD620 1st gen owner: be careful with firmware update v.3.02 (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remote-possibilities-in-location-recording-amp-production/1044783-marantz-professional-pmd620-1st-gen-owner-careful-firmware-update-v-3-02-a.html)

Widowsky 13th November 2015 01:23 PM

Marantz Professional PMD620 1st gen owner: be careful with firmware update v.3.02

TL;DR: latest firmware update v.3.02 bricked my Marantz Professional PMD620 handheld recorder unit.

I downloaded and performed the latest official firmware update as available on Denon / Marantz Professional (inMusic Brands) website (here under the tab "Downloads": Denon Professional - PMD620).

At the end of the process, the message "Update Completed" was displayed as expected, but the system was frozen and failed to automatically restart as it should. I waited several hours with nothing else happening. Finally I had to unplug the device from the power outlet to turn it off, the soft power on/off switch having no effect (obviously the Key Lock switch was off).

Then all attempts to turn the unit back on have failed. It is bricked.

Previous firmware updates worked like a charm, up to v2.33.

Support tried to lose me between the online European support (UK-based), the useless French support and distributor Algam (since I live in France), reseller, various repair centers, certified or not (dozen of emails, many phone calls, four trips to the reseller...).

At the end of the day, inMusic denies any problem with the update, denies any responsibility for the bricking of my unit, doesn't have an emergency boot procedure for the PMD620 1st generation, refuses to sell me a new device at cost price.

What's left is to send my unit to the Germany-located inMusic brands repair center, to have the main PCB replaced. InMusic charges for this part almost as much as a brand new PMD620 MKII, not including labor and shipments. Obviously it's not worth it and it's by design.

Current price for a new unit is $400/€300. That's pretty expensive for a portable device which does only audio recording, designed a decade ago (MKII is exactly the same as MKI, with the added ability to encrypt files). Nothing professional about this, except for the brand name and the price...

Talk about planned obsolescence and artificially created electronic wastes!

boojum 14th November 2015 02:16 AM

Is there anything you could have done that would have contributed to this? I am not interested in establishing blame. What would be nice is finding a possible glitch to help solve the problem. Good luck.

Thomas W. Bethe 14th November 2015 12:55 PM

It is a tough one. Normally when this happens it is because the new firmware is corrupt or did not finish installing because the machine or the power got turned off before the update completed. Have you tried Marantz tech support?

Best of luck and let us know how things are progressing. What a bummer.

Widowsky 15th November 2015 04:12 PM

Thank you both for your answer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by boojum (Post 11480023)
Is there anything you could have done that would have contributed to this? I am not interested in establishing blame. What would be nice is finding a possible glitch to help solve the problem. Good luck.

No, nothing. I followed the manual instruction as I did with the previous firmware updates. The unit was placed on the ground and I let the process unfold without touching anything, while I was doing something else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe (Post 11480593)
It is a tough one. Normally when this happens it is because the new firmware is corrupt or did not finish installing because the machine or the power got turned off before the update completed. Have you tried Marantz tech support?

Best of luck and let us know how things are progressing. What a bummer.

I did all I could with Marantz tech support. They're unable to help technically and unwilling to help financially (by selling a new unit at cost price or a replacement PCB at a competitive price). They refuse to question the reliability of this firmware update and to acknowledge any responsibility with this.

Thomas W. Bethe 15th November 2015 04:22 PM

I am wondering if you are dealing with two different scenarios happening at the same time. The unit did the update to the bios but there was a problem with the power supply or something in the unit died... They would, on the surface, seem to be the same thing but they may just have happened at the same time. I had on of these units for about 3 years and was very happy with it. I used it to do on location interviews and it always worked flawlessly but I never updated the bios. Most companies are more that willing to do anything they can to help the consumer. I am surprised Marantz is not more willing to help you. Best of luck!

seabrook7039 11th January 2017 07:17 AM

PMD620 survives update

I have a first-gen PMD-620 and I was able to upgrade from v2.34 to v3.02. Ironicaly the sole improvement listed with the v3.02 update was to address a problem where the unit would fail to turn on.

Jaston10078 26th June 2020 03:31 PM

Hi all. Sorry to resurrect an old thread... I recently purchased a second hand pmd620 1st generation with firmware v.1.0 and I'm coming up against a brick wall trying to find any firmware download locations as it seems Denon have removed it from their website. If anyone here has a copy of a firmware update that addresses the monitoring latency issue I'd be happy to transfer a fiver to say thanks.

Many thanks in advance :)

James

hipporu 27th June 2020 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaston10078 (Post 14823094)
Hi all. Sorry to resurrect an old thread... I recently purchased a second hand pmd620 1st generation with firmware v.1.0 and I'm coming up against a brick wall trying to find any firmware download locations as it seems Denon have removed it from their website. If anyone here has a copy of a firmware update that addresses the monitoring latency issue I'd be happy to transfer a fiver to say thanks.

Many thanks in advance :)

James

I am on version 2.27
V3.03 at your own risk
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...fY?usp=sharing