Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   Rca bk-5 (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/1043684-rca-bk-5-a.html)

Midas 8th November 2015 03:38 AM

Rca bk-5
 
Hello slutzs

i just recently used a RCA BK-5 recording a flugelhorn..and the result was pretty amazing...sounding very smooth and pleasant. That mic was constructed to hold a very high perssure levels...like shoutguns recordings inna films recordings ( foleys) so where and how do you use yours??

cheers

Greg Curtis 8th November 2015 04:46 AM

Don't own a BK5. How would you compare to 77, 44, and 10001s?

Midas 8th November 2015 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Curtis (Post 11466504)
Don't own a BK5. How would you compare to 77, 44, and 10001s?

i would compare according its price...the RCA 44 is a very expensive mic...but the BK-5 still sounding cool

Peller 8th November 2015 11:13 AM

I have a couple of these. I must say that 'smooth' is pretty much the last word I'd use to describe mine... They have a pretty strong peak in the frequency spectrum somewhere around 3.5kHz, and are far from flat elsewhere. They certainly don't have the dark, soft tone that people tend to associate with ribbon mics.

The last time I used mine was on Django Reinhardt-style 'manouche' guitar, where it did a great job of capturing the 'bite' that the player was after -- sounded awful in solo but just right within the mix. They can be great on guitar amps when you want a sound that cuts through. I should probably dig them out and try them on a few more different things.

[email protected] 8th November 2015 06:35 PM

Yup. Great guitar cab mic.

Midas 9th November 2015 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peller (Post 11466861)
I have a couple of these. I must say that 'smooth' is pretty much the last word I'd use to describe mine... They have a pretty strong peak in the frequency spectrum somewhere around 3.5kHz, and are far from flat elsewhere. They certainly don't have the dark, soft tone that people tend to associate with ribbon mics.

The last time I used mine was on Django Reinhardt-style 'manouche' guitar, where it did a great job of capturing the 'bite' that the player was after -- sounded awful in solo but just right within the mix. They can be great on guitar amps when you want a sound that cuts through. I should probably dig them out and try them on a few more different things.

Last time i used mine recording a flugelhorn and it sounded so smooth and like a silk...like you right said you have to try it on different sources until find the sweet spot....for some instruments it will not be the best cup of tea...and it is not dark at all indeed...i actuall never heard that ribbon mics have the "dark" softone that you said...

hasbeen 9th November 2015 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 11467467)
Yup. Great guitar cab mic.

God yes, my fave for this chore.

Philip S Bova 9th November 2015 05:19 PM

Used a BK5 for years. Found that for most things an EQ dip of about 2-3db at 3.5K was essential for me to get what I wanted out of it. Then it sounded great! These days I prefer a Beyer M160.

soundinista100 10th November 2015 11:33 PM

Are you talking about a BK5a or a BK5b? The top end response on the BK5b is better.

leadplayer 11th November 2015 12:48 AM

Great mic... As a trumpet player, I have a pair-- fully restored and in mint condition. They are the " baby" 44, designed by John Sank, Harry Olson's #1 guy at RCA. I've used these on a trumpet section with a pair of Coles..
very well match up !!
Speaking of RCA's ... I have too many 77dx's... anybody interested ??

Ollie 12th November 2015 08:23 PM

Great Mic
 
A BK5 does not really sound like a typical ribbon. It is probably one of the best guitar mics I have used. It can take high spl and it sounds very good on snare as well.

Midas 12th November 2015 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ollie (Post 11476943)
A BK5 does not really sound like a typical ribbon. It is probably one of the best guitar mics I have used. It can take high spl and it sounds very good on snare as well.

the BK5 on a midrange instruments shines everywhere..

Ollie 14th November 2015 02:16 AM

Funny,
I used a beyer m-160 for years and now am happily using a bk5b :)


Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip S Bova (Post 11469457)
Used a BK5 for years. Found that for most things an EQ dip of about 2-3db at 3.5K was essential for me to get what I wanted out of it. Then it sounded great! These days I prefer a Beyer M160.


Stitch333 14th November 2015 03:03 AM

Kick drum with a blast pad is cool