Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Product Alerts older than 2 months (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/)
-   -   Slate Digital Launches The VIRTUAL MICROPHONE SYSTEM (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/1041981-slate-digital-launches-virtual-microphone-system.html)

Steven Slate 30th October 2015 03:03 PM

Slate Digital Launches The VIRTUAL MICROPHONE SYSTEM
 
Hi folks! I'm so happy after yesterday's Audio Legend's announcement to reveal another product we are showing at AES 2015.

We previewed the Virtual Microphone System at the 2014 NAMM, a product that recreates the sound of several vintage microphones and preamps through the means of using reference quality hardware and digital signal processing.

Unfortunately, we paused the project soon after that preview so that we could update all of our plugins to AAX (at the time our team was half the size). But I'm very proud to tell you that last year we resumed the VMS, and it is done. And it is great! We will be shipping in December and many dealers who sell Slate are taking orders. For the Microphone, the preamp, and the software, it's only $999.

The mics we used for the VMS are some of the VERY best of their class, and their owner is one of the world's biggest gear collectors, but he also has some of the best ears in the biz. We visited him last week to FINALLY show him the VMS, and he wanted to compare his U47/1073 combo to our FG47 emulation through our FG73 emulations. You'll soon hear from the man himself about what the results were. ;)

So anyway, here is our official new launch video with several new audio examples and feature presentations, hope you enjoy, and please come see the VMS as we have several amazing artist singing through it LIVE at booth 137!


Cheers,
Steven

thedommer 30th October 2015 03:16 PM

Sick. Who are your Canadian dealers?

Never mind. found them!

thedommer 30th October 2015 03:22 PM

Can you go into more detail on the limitations? I am assuming its just cardiod but what else? Very cool that its mimicking proximity based on the virtual microphone.

Hows this with dynamics? Ribbon?

anon 30th October 2015 03:38 PM

Does anyone know which three mics these are modelling?

Melodeath 30th October 2015 03:45 PM

Awesome! Been looking forward to this since it was first announced in 2014

I take it that's a C800G, not a C800, right?

brucerothwell 30th October 2015 03:57 PM

Amazing!

Will there be provision for other mic patterns?

What about ribbons and dynamics?

-

The Oracle 30th October 2015 04:04 PM

Great product! Great price! kfhkh

nept 30th October 2015 04:29 PM

Steven, where can I preorder one?

lukecage 30th October 2015 04:41 PM

Looks great and I'm getting one!

The rack mountable option with the additional mics looked better though. What happened to that!?

Estudio10 30th October 2015 05:11 PM

The real question is WHEN WILL BE AVIALABLE? please just don´t tell me soon!

cww2 30th October 2015 05:12 PM

Interesting product. Since this has a software component, what will the return policy be?

ashkilamande 30th October 2015 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedommer (Post 11445874)
Sick. Who are your Canadian dealers?

Never mind. found them!

Hey looking for canadian dealers, which did you find?

thedommer 30th October 2015 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashkilamande (Post 11446195)
Hey looking for canadian dealers, which did you find?

Long and mcquade and studio ekonomik (no idea how to spell it). There is a third also. Slate site has the info.

rick2630 30th October 2015 05:59 PM

Third one is mediamusique

mixedup 30th October 2015 06:01 PM

Hey Steven. It certainly looks slick and the examples you give seem to sound nice. But — unless I misunderstood — you mention in the vid that it mimics the off-axis response, which is something the examples obviously don't show. I'm struggling to understand how that can be the case from a cardioid mic. Can you tell us a bit more about that side of things? It's not a deal-breaker — looks useful just as a vox mic/strip if nothing else —*but I'm intrigued by this...
Cheers, Matt

Sarrova 30th October 2015 06:17 PM

Okay ... new thread I see. To repeat myself :) :

I could hear a difference for the 251's, but not a $29.000 difference
It's a pity the mics and preamps need their own racks though. Now you have to use up 2 racks for a big (but beautiful) picture and two knobs instead of having this together like it was in the first previews (see below)

http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/761990.jpg

Alacrise 30th October 2015 06:45 PM

Sounds fantastic! I'm curious though: how high bandwidth is the ML1 actually? Any frequency response specs you can share?

ChaseUTB 30th October 2015 06:46 PM

Another thread for the same exact product. Why aren't the two threads merged together? Hope everyone enjoys their VMS and gets the quality level they expect. Congrats to Slate for bringing another innovative product to market.

Toggle_Tom 30th October 2015 06:53 PM

Congratulation Steven & the whole Slate-Team!
Well done.
I am convinced VMS will conquer the Studios with the "Speed of Light" and I can´t wait to receive my first unit...

Solar 30th October 2015 06:55 PM

And Baaaaam @ Slate Digital keeps rolling the innovating :-) Been waiting for this one. Can't wait to try it out

Kudos to @ steven & @ Slate TEAM

And as Steven said HAPPY VIRTUAL RECORDING!!!

Kazrog 30th October 2015 07:22 PM

Long time user and supporter of your products, Steven, and this looks like another home run. Congrats on your new release!

However, as a DSP engineer, I am bothered by the claim at 4:33 in the video:

"This is not an impulse response, or convolution, or some filters..."

:facepalm:

The problem is, in order to emulate the frequency response aspect of a system, some kind of filtering has to happen. Also, that system itself (and any emulation thereof) by its very nature contains an impulse response that can be measured. Whether or not you use convolution, you are still using some kind of filtering process to manipulate the frequency response to emulate that of the analog hardware - and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that - it's just the nature of DSP itself.

Your emulations sound astoundingly accurate, and I can imagine this product being incredibly useful for so many studios out there, so I'm really only critiquing the marketing itself. Your marketing can be fixed by adding one word to that sentence - "just." It's not just an impulse response, convolution, or filter by itself, in other words - it's a combination of unique processes that the Slate Digital team undoubtedly spent countless hours slaving over, because it sounds amazing. I wish you guys the best with your release!

bumpkin

Benj 30th October 2015 07:33 PM

I think I can hear a slight difference between the two examples in the video, first one sounds a sliver more "contained", the second one is a bit more dynamic and slightly more open to my ears (well at least with Senn 650 straight off the laptop, which isn't exactly ideal). Very subtle stuff though... One could easy hear a greater difference take to take on a single mic. If the VMS is version 1, then perhaps the slider effecting the mic color or preamp gain could be turned down? If the VMS is version 2, then perhaps the slider effecting the mic color or preamp gain could be turned up? I guess either way it says a lot about the potential for this system. It seems to sound good, and perhaps the ability to tweak these kind of settings in the mixing stage would be a powerful and useful option. Part of me wonders if it truly sounds like a $20-30K signal chain is almost irrelevant if it's a good sounding and useful tool and has the solidity of a quality setup. Would certainly be interested in trying this out and would be curious in a dynamic or ribbon version as well.

I do have a couple questions though...

How does the A/D effect the sound and accuracy of the system. I use a Burl Mothership and am curious if Steven or the guys at Slate have ever tried this with a transformer based A/D (Burl or UA2192)?

Also curious about CPU hit if there are many instances in a session?

Interesting times...

bcn flo 30th October 2015 07:42 PM

Really looking forward to!!!!
 
This will be the perfect addition for my project studio!!
Really portable, easy setup and super awesome sound!!

castmemberzack 30th October 2015 08:04 PM

A few things...

1. I'm guessing it doesn't have any other patterns except cardioid?

2. Can we hear these in a mix? I mean it sounds stupid and all, but I'd really like to compare how they do in a mix rather than alone.

3. Oh and also, will there be more mics to purchase or download for free after launch?

Benj 30th October 2015 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarrova (Post 11446308)
Okay ... new thread I see. To repeat myself :) :

I could hear a difference for the 251's, but not a $29.000 difference
It's a pity the mics and preamps need their own racks though. Now you have to use up 2 racks for a big (but beautiful) picture and two knobs instead of having this together like it was in the first previews (see below)

http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/761990.jpg

There are added controls though (mic intensity and trim added along with drive on the preamp)... and I imagine in the future there could be HP filter, EQ bump or perhaps other microphone settings that may need some gui space. It also opens the possibility of more complex preamp emulations that have options other than just gain (emulating entire channel strips that would also function in VMR without a VMS present). Just some thoughts anyways... peachh

Vdub 30th October 2015 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benj (Post 11446510)

How does the A/D effect the sound and accuracy of the system. I use a Burl Mothership and am curious if Steven or the guys at Slate have ever tried this with a transformer based A/D (Burl or UA2192)?

Also curious about CPU hit if there are many instances in a session?

Interesting times...

I 2nd this question

ahrayeph 30th October 2015 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarrova (Post 11446308)
Okay ... new thread I see. To repeat myself :) :

I could hear a difference for the 251's, but not a $29.000 difference
It's a pity the mics and preamps need their own racks though. Now you have to use up 2 racks for a big (but beautiful) picture and two knobs instead of having this together like it was in the first previews (see below)

http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/761990.jpg

I think that has to do with the fact that the preamps now can also be used outside of VMS in a VMR chain, without the mic, preamp and mic sims, so people can make use of the preamps' characteristics with their own mic/preamp setups. I rather like the fact that the preamp section is being made available for VMR, even if that means it will take up another rack slot. But then, I do believe the VMR rack has at least six slots, so I think that is sufficient for most effects chains?

M2E 30th October 2015 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Slate (Post 11445853)
Hi folks! I'm so happy after yesterday's Audio Legend's announcement to reveal another product we are showing at AES 2015.

We previewed the Virtual Microphone System at the 2014 NAMM, a product that recreates the sound of several vintage microphones and preamps through the means of using reference quality hardware and digital signal processing.

Unfortunately, we paused the project soon after that preview so that we could update all of our plugins to AAX (at the time our team was half the size). But I'm very proud to tell you that last year we resumed the VMS, and it is done. And it is great! We will be shipping in December and many dealers who sell Slate are taking orders. For the Microphone, the preamp, and the software, it's only $999.

The mics we used for the VMS are some of the VERY best of their class, and their owner is one of the world's biggest gear collectors, but he also has some of the best ears in the biz. We visited him last week to FINALLY show him the VMS, and he wanted to compare his U47/1073 combo to our FG47 emulation through our FG73 emulations. You'll soon hear from the man himself about what the results were. ;)

So anyway, here is our official new launch video with several new audio examples and feature presentations, hope you enjoy, and please come see the VMS as we have several amazing artist singing through it LIVE at booth 137!


Cheers,
Steven

Can you buy the software separate?
I would like to use the PreAmps alone.

Thanks,

Marckfhkh

lxm 30th October 2015 09:25 PM

What happened to the pencil Mic for dynamic mic emulations? There seemed to be way more 'mics' the last time you talked about this... Now we only get three?

noiseflaw 30th October 2015 09:30 PM

I can't keep up with all this Slate goodness. This is a project studio owners dream.jummpp