Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   SSL Duende is here to stay!! (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/103910-ssl-duende-here-stay.html)

hankloose 15th January 2007 07:37 PM

SSL Duende is here to stay!!
 
Hi everybody!

I borrowed the SSL duende for a test last week and I must say i´m super stoked!!
I work normaly on swedish national radio and I´ve mixed hundreds of live concerts on our SSL 4000G+. I´ve took some multitrack sessions home and loaded them thru the duende plugins and just after I begin to process the Kick I felt immediatly that I was home. It was very close to the way I normaly work with the 4000G+. The results of the mixes was just what I could wish for! I think it´s even more versatile than the real thing since u have so many more options! I must also tell every one I´m not biased! I just love ssl, and I feel very much at home with the way I have been working before. Compared to the Waves plugins
Duende sounds much more open and airy! I thin the waves ssl sounds a little bit harsh and brute for my taste.

Hank

Soldier777c 15th January 2007 07:42 PM

How is the processing power of the unit itself . . . seemless? Any problems?

vudoo 15th January 2007 08:00 PM

What system are you running it on ???

hankloose 15th January 2007 11:07 PM

Hi!

I have a PC with a athlon x2 3800+ processor windows xp service pack 2
2 gb ram asus sli premium motherboard with nforce 4 chipset. Motu 2408 mk2 soundcard with buffers set to 128.

The FW chipset is texas instruments and it is on the mobo! nothing else is connected to the FW port!

Everything worded perfect right away!

I´ve used 30 monochannelstrips and 1 stereobus compressor

Lindell 15th January 2007 11:47 PM

Gött....får ta och testa snart oxå....

JimmySX 16th January 2007 12:11 AM

Good to hear! I'm waiting for a unit myself to check it out. Hopefully it will come this week along with my Uad and LiquidMix kfhkh

thephatboi 16th January 2007 08:47 AM

How about latency, it's firewire right? There must be some, how are you dealing with this? I am on Protools HD, will it work with that? thanks!

hankloose 16th January 2007 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindell (Post 1072100)
Gött....får ta och testa snart oxå....


Du! Snackade med Mattias Glavå om Focal monitorerna! Han va mäkta impad!
Vi skulle försöka ta en lyssning nån dag i januari!

hankloose 16th January 2007 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thephatboi (Post 1072878)
How about latency, it's firewire right? There must be some, how are you dealing with this? I am on Protools HD, will it work with that? thanks!

I´ve worked with nuendo and nuendo has full latency compensation on everything so there wher no problem! If you are using it in liveinput mode I´ll guess there would be some issuses but i´m not sure!

elambo 16th January 2007 09:18 AM

In ProTools anyway, Duende is automatically bypassed when a track containing Duende is record-enabled. When you switch out of record it re-engages Duende. This is not the case for Aux track of course, which will always need to be manually disengaged when recording through it. Duende is meant to be a machine for mixing, not for tracking.

[email protected] 16th January 2007 11:03 AM

I was at Swedish radio not too long ago.

Thay have some lovely studios.

Glad to hear the Duende is working out.

Best wishes,

Sam Wetmore

SSL

Bob Yordan 16th January 2007 12:57 PM

Häffans. jummpp

Skaffa precis en LM och det får nog bli en Duenderburk me snart. heh

boing howdy

JulianBrightnes 16th January 2007 01:02 PM

Is this a Svensk forum now?

Hedoch, Julian

RichT 16th January 2007 01:20 PM

Bork bork bork!

heppy

Faderjockey 17th January 2007 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hankloose (Post 1071557)
Hi everybody!

I borrowed the SSL duende for a test last week and I must say i´m super stoked!!
I work normaly on swedish national radio and I´ve mixed hundreds of live concerts on our SSL 4000G+. I´ve took some multitrack sessions home and loaded them thru the duende plugins and just after I begin to process the Kick I felt immediatly that I was home. It was very close to the way I normaly work with the 4000G+. The results of the mixes was just what I could wish for! I think it´s even more versatile than the real thing since u have so many more options! I must also tell every one I´m not biased! I just love ssl, and I feel very much at home with the way I have been working before. Compared to the Waves plugins
Duende sounds much more open and airy! I thin the waves ssl sounds a little bit harsh and brute for my taste.

Hank

Nice... I thought it was based more on C200/ J series... Not 4000G. Glad your kickin it with AMD ok.. I'm X2 4800+ and Asus A8V Deluxe so I should be good to go as well.. Thanks.heh

Gigolo Tony 17th January 2007 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimmySX (Post 1072146)
Good to hear! I'm waiting for a unit myself to check it out. Hopefully it will come this week along with my Uad and LiquidMix kfhkh

dosen´t work with UAD over here. Duende sounds great, but i had to sell it, can´t wait anymore until the driver worx fine.

Logic Pro/Mac G5 2Ghz

barryjohns 17th January 2007 06:15 AM

SSL Duende is here to stay!!

Yea, on eBay!

TonyBelmont 17th January 2007 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faderjockey (Post 1074433)
Nice... I thought it was based more on C200/ J series... Not 4000G.

You are correct! kfhkh

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigolo Tony (Post 1074556)
dosen´t work with UAD over here. Duende sounds great, but i had to sell it, can´t wait anymore until the driver worx fine.

Logic Pro/Mac G5 2Ghz

Works fine over here with a dual 1.8 G5 & Logic... no UAD, though.

preben 17th January 2007 01:24 PM

Works fine here with Logic Dual 2gig + UAD + powercore pci mkI, mkII and firewire.

JimmySX 17th January 2007 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigolo Tony (Post 1074556)
dosen´t work with UAD over here. Duende sounds great, but i had to sell it, can´t wait anymore until the driver worx fine.

Logic Pro/Mac G5 2Ghz

That's a petty. I'm on PC so maybe the 2 can live side by side.
I'll let you know if it works out!

t.dizzle 17th January 2007 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faderjockey (Post 1074433)
Nice... I thought it was based more on C200/ J series... Not 4000G.

Actually, the Duende is based on the C200 which emulates E/G. These answers are really easy to find on SSL's website. There's no mention of the J anywhere. The Duende doesn't really sound or feel like a J anyway...

[email protected] 17th January 2007 05:11 PM

Not entirely true, but close.....

Duende uses the same DSP platform as the C200.
C200 was not designed to emulate an E/G, but does have E/G EQ curves in.

If anything, the C200 sounds more like a J or a K than it does an E or a G.

t.dizzle 17th January 2007 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 1075475)
Not entirely true, but close.....

Duende uses the same DSP platform as the C200.
C200 was not designed to emulate an E/G, but does have E/G EQ curves in.

If anything, the C200 sounds more like a J or a K than it does an E or a G.

It's hard to argue with a guy from SSL, but I don't hear the J thing in the eq's at all. This is what it says on the C200 page of your website -

"Processing is dedicated to every channel so there's no need to assign resources at the start of the setup, and emulations such as the SSL 'E' and 'G' Series EQ, and 'Quad' compressor, provide familiar and great sounding audio tools."

elambo 18th January 2007 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t.dizzle (Post 1075661)
It's hard to argue with a guy from SSL, but I don't hear the J thing in the eq's at all. This is what it says on the C200 page of your website -

"Processing is dedicated to every channel so there's no need to assign resources at the start of the setup, and emulations such as the SSL 'E' and 'G' Series EQ, and 'Quad' compressor, provide familiar and great sounding audio tools."

What's the problem - he said the C200 has E/G EQ curves - the blurb from SSL's website says it has E/G emulations. Same thing, no?

Then he added (what seems to be his own opinion) that it sounds more like a J or K, probably based on the eq when the E/G emulation isn't engaged. I personally don't think it's so dissimilar to a J/K.

Mikem 18th January 2007 06:56 AM

How well can this thing coexist with UAD-1's and a Fireface 800?

I'm also using an Asus A8V Deluxe.

barryjohns 18th January 2007 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikem (Post 1077091)
How well can this thing coexist with UAD-1's and a Fireface 800?

I'm also using an Asus A8V Deluxe.


Not good at all. I tried to use it with 2 UAD cards and my Fireface 800 and had ZERO luck. Did all the troubleshooting you can possibly imagine.

Mikem 18th January 2007 07:28 AM

I see you have a Liquid Mix--you had better luck with that?

I'd consider a Duende very seriously if I knew it could get along with my present gear.

alexkemp 18th January 2007 11:12 AM

duende & DP
 
I've been trying to use Duende w/ DP 5.11 on G5 Quad, 2xUAD-1e cards, PowerCore FW, Motu traveler and its NOT happening. Duende so far still doesn't officially support DP, but you have to look pretty deep on the SSL website to find that info... It sounds amazing, but its just not solid. I'm really surprised a company like SSL would let the Duende out when its still so underdeveloped. Makes me wary of all their whole new 'project level' gear...

: (

T-fonk 18th January 2007 12:05 PM

Svensk nörd-attack! Skånska hälsningar från danmark! jkthtyrt

Tobbe

Faderjockey 18th January 2007 05:28 PM

Looks like they tried to hard to get it out fast that's a shame.