Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Q+A with Ross Hogarth (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-amp-a-with-ross-hogarth/)
-   -   Digital recording (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-amp-a-with-ross-hogarth/1019417-digital-recording.html)

captainj 15th July 2015 10:14 AM

Digital recording
 
Hi Ross,

Thanks for taking the time to do this - I've really enjoyed reading your responses so far.

I was wondering if you have a preferred sample rate when recording digitally & also if you have any preferences as far as converters (A-D & D-A)

Cheers

BoogieMotel 17th July 2015 09:04 PM

sample rates can't help a bad song or singer .. haha
neither can your clock or converter
just sayin .. ok got that out of the way

sample rate is easy
I like 96k for most things but if you are one of those engineer/producers that likes to record 140000 tracks and takes
go down to a manageable rate
48/24
plain and simple
44.1 is just a little closed off for me but its just fine in the end too
I don't get to caught up in it
but for hi track counts
88.2/96 is a nightmare still

clocking and conversion
clocking I have to get something off my chest
I hate the sound of the Big Ben
there .. i said it
It makes the rig sound awful
bad voodoo if you ask me

my fave clock/converter is the Black Lion
and the Antelope Audio clock
I had an Antelope for years until recently
also Lavry is just fine
the Crane Sone Hedd 192 is awesome and has the extra added bonus for color
my rig in my studio are modded brown avid hd by Black Lion
with an external Black Lion and a Crane Song Hedd 192 also
I'm using now the amazing internal Black Lion clock
I no longer am using external clock

bigbone 18th July 2015 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoogieMotel (Post 11197044)
I'm using now the amazing internal Black Lion clock
I no longer am using external clock

Hello Ross.

Think's for your time ,i do appreciated that you share some of your experience
and knowledge here.

Can i ask what Black Lion clock your referring ,

All the best

bigbone 20th July 2015 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoogieMotel (Post 11197044)
my rig in my studio are modded brown avid hd by Black Lion
with an external Black Lion and a Crane Song Hedd 192 also
I'm using now the amazing internal Black Lion clock
I no longer am using external clock

Thank's for your time Ross, it's very nice of you.

I just can't understand,you use an external Black lion…..but you
no longer use an external clock,……isn't the external Black Lion an
external clock……….i'm confuse, thank you.

BoogieMotel 21st July 2015 03:48 PM

I'm using the internal clock now in my newly modded Black Lion convertors . I think this clock is the newest best clock that Black Lion has and will be releasing as an external clock ..

bigbone 21st July 2015 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoogieMotel (Post 11204427)
I'm using the internal clock now in my newly modded Black Lion convertors . I think this clock is the newest best clock that Black Lion has and will be releasing as an external clock ..



Thank you Ross. i do appreciated your time.

All the best

drybones77 21st July 2015 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoogieMotel (Post 11204427)
I'm using the internal clock now in my newly modded Black Lion convertors . I think this clock is the newest best clock that Black Lion has and will be releasing as an external clock ..

BLA has a new mk3 Word clock that Tony Maserati is supposed to be blown away by. I don't think that it's the same clock as in the XB modded HD rigs though, but you'd need to check with them.

What are your thoughts regarding the BLA Sparrow and the Crane song? Do you have a preference between the two based on their performance, or is it a coloration/subjectiveness?

BoogieMotel 22nd July 2015 09:13 PM

yep .. subjectiveness .. they do different things

NewOrleansSteve 26th July 2015 12:53 AM

Crain Song HEDD
 
Hi Ross,
Am I to understand that you mix the 2 buss otb and the stereo through the HEDD? In over dubs, To you go through the HEDD? Any more insight to your stereo conversion, overdubs etc. and The Lavry and the HEDD's role in that.
THANKS

not trying to mimic your set up, just figure that you have had the opportunity to try many and I am curious what you have chosen as a consensus. I'm thinking stereo converter upgrades and would welcome your impressions.

BoogieMotel 29th July 2015 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewOrleansSteve (Post 11214242)
Hi Ross,
Am I to understand that you mix the 2 buss otb and the stereo through the HEDD? In over dubs, To you go through the HEDD? Any more insight to your stereo conversion, overdubs etc. and The Lavry and the HEDD's role in that.
THANKS

not trying to mimic your set up, just figure that you have had the opportunity to try many and I am curious what you have chosen as a consensus. I'm thinking stereo converter upgrades and would welcome your impressions.

I use the Black Lion as my ad/da to my compression/eq eq chain on my mix buss
I used to use either the HEDD or for somethings I had EVH's Burl
but after much going back and forth
I use the HEDD more like a mastering engineer as the last in the chain D-D for its mild tape and tube distortion
it seems to give me a nice little last saturation on the mix with some nice harmonics

when i am over dubbing
since my rig had modded avid I/O by Black Lion
my A/D is super cool and I do not need to use anything external

I have never owned a Lavry but have used them and they sound great
as does the Burl .. but for my rig the Burl was too thick
since I am using passive transformers/the Obsidion that has transformers/ mastering Pultecs that have tubes and transformers ...all amounting to a nice load of iron and tube .. so when I added the Burl into that equation
it was just too thick ..
even the little touch of HEDD color sometimes I back off depending on the material ...