Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   Antelope Pure 2 vs Cranesong Hedd (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/1016622-antelope-pure-2-vs-cranesong-hedd.html)

Ulbe 30th June 2015 06:01 PM

Antelope Pure 2 vs Cranesong Hedd

Hi everyone,
I'm looking for a high quality AD/DA for two main purposes:
-to go from the output of a summing mixer
-to track overdubs.

We currently have an Avid HD I/O in one room and a Symphony I/O in a different room.

So I have a few questions:

-Anyone had a chance to A/B these two units yet?
-Will the Antelope or Hedd offer a significant improvement over either the Avid or Symphony to print the output of the summing box? I know this is subjective and all, but I'm curious if anyone has specific experiences.
-The Hedd has the digital processing "analog emulation" options.... how do these stack up with all the current options by UAD, Waves, etc? Is it worth the price difference on this alone, or is the conversion just superior?

I'm leaning towards the Antelope, as it has Word Clock options, and less expensive and has monitor control (although I don't need it now, it could provide useful in the future). But I've heard excellent comments about the Hedd.

Thoughts?

ManaTau80 1st July 2015 03:34 AM

Also curious about this. I currently use a HEDD and love it, but would like to hear opinions on the Pure2.

farhadkd 1st July 2015 04:28 AM

AdDa

From my personal experience, both the HD IO and the Symphony IO are stellar in their performance and pretty much the bleeding edge of non exotic multichannel converter design. It would possibly benefit you more to buy a second analog IO card for either unit (assuming that they aren't maxed out) and use that to track back your mixes, with possibly the added advantage of even tracking back stems, if you need to.

I've heard all the Antelopes and I currently use the Eclipse 384 with the Symphony IO for the same purpose myself. Unless you go seriously high end, all you're getting is an averagely good 2 channel converter that relies a lot on the marketing and legacy of their top of the line units. In short, unless you're buying a Rubicon, Eclipse, or Zodiac, I would avoid. Best to do A/B tests and hear the difference. Even with the high end, you might also be surprised at how little the difference is, and decide that it's not worth the money.

As far as the HEDD goes, it's a great unit, but a little long in the tooth, and very possibly due for a major overhaul in design. It's already been through 3 revisions. YMMV.

Hope this helps.

Overdrive 1st July 2015 01:02 PM

IMO
If you go seriously high end, Best to do A/B tests and hear the difference. You might also be surprised at the differences. They are big or small depending on the units tested.

Talking of the HEDD - it's a little old and dated and I don't like the "process". having DSP on board is not my liking. I highly recommend the Pure2 as I've heard it in work. It's is a great fully pro unit of the highest caliber, don't let the low price fool you.

warhead 1st July 2015 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farhadkd (Post 11156841)
Unless you go seriously high end, all you're getting is an averagely good 2 channel converter that relies a lot on the marketing and legacy of their top of the line units. In short, unless you're buying a Rubicon, Eclipse, or Zodiac, I would avoid.

I would respectfully and wholeheartedly disagree with this statement, the Pure2 is tops among converters in our converter test and is in no way an under-performer.

Gun to my head, today as I'm writing this?

The HEDD if I wanted the extra effects, the Antelope Pure2 if I just want AD/DA stereo conversion.

That is NOT implying the HEDD is some inferior product, but without the effects needs the Pure2 is simply an awesome spend for conversion that is top notch.

War yingyang

warhead 1st July 2015 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 11157463)
...don't let the low price fool you.

THIS.

War peachh

farhadkd 1st July 2015 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warhead (Post 11158308)
I would respectfully and wholeheartedly disagree with this statement, the Pure2 is tops among converters in our converter test and is in no way an under-performer.

Gun to my head, today as I'm writing this?

The HEDD if I wanted the extra effects, the Antelope Pure2 if I just want AD/DA stereo conversion.

That is NOT implying the HEDD is some inferior product, but without the effects needs the Pure2 is simply an awesome spend for conversion that is top notch.

War yingyang

Sure, War. It's an opinion, and I respect it. Just like mine. I must point out that "averagely good" hardly qualifies it as an underperformer as you've stated. But you should take a minute to shoutout the pure vs the Eclipse. No gun required. Just use your ears. Sorry, that's my take, and I'm sticking to it.

warhead 1st July 2015 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farhadkd (Post 11158319)
Sure, War. It's an opinion, and I respect it. Just like mine. I must point out that "averagely good" hardly qualifies it as an underperformance as you've stated. But you should take a minute to shoutout the pure vs the Eclipse. No gun required. Just use your ears. Sorry, that's my take, and I'm sticking to it.

kfhkh

The good news is nobody is wrong!

War freshflowe

Ulbe 2nd July 2015 01:02 AM

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. Certainly some food for thought.
It is very hard to make the decision without testing it in the setup I have.
I am aware it is almost certain the conversion of either the Pure or the Hedd is superior to the HD IO or Symphony, but as some have pointed out, its a matter of how much that superiority is worth to me.

I'm not so sure I'd be using the internal FX of the Hedd... I'm inclined to experiment with the Antelope, also in part because of the clocking options.

felipousis 2nd July 2015 10:15 PM

We tested the Symphony against a HAPI in a professional studio, and the HAPI won based on the sound and the add on of really clean remote preamps.

Avantmidi 2nd July 2015 10:42 PM

I love my hedd192. The process knobs are awesome for big sparkly mixes and the other very nice bonus is: The hedd makes my appolo 16 mk1
Sound totally more open and analog like when the hedd clock is boss!:)

SoundEng1 22nd March 2016 01:47 AM

Has anyone had a chance to A/B the Cranesong to the Pure 2?

Edinburgh 2nd April 2016 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farhadkd (Post 11156841)
I've heard all the Antelopes and I currently use the Eclipse 384 with the Symphony IO for the same purpose myself. Unless you go seriously high end, all you're getting is an averagely good 2 channel converter that relies a lot on the marketing and legacy of their top of the line units. In short, unless you're buying a Rubicon, Eclipse, or Zodiac, I would avoid. Best to do A/B tests and hear the difference. Even with the high end, you might also be surprised at how little the difference is, and decide that it's not worth the money.

Hello,

In your description, it seems like the DA of Zodiac (basic version?) is better than the DA of Pure2? How about the DA quality of other Antelope products compare to these two? Would you rank the DA quality of all the DAC or ADDA of Antelope? Maybe along with the symphony IO and the Apollos if you have ever listened to them?

I'm trying to upgrade my interface from the little Duet (latest version). They are great for the size and price but I assume the higher end products will provide even better quality of sound. I'll connect them to my Mac directly. The monitors I'm using are the Solo6s.

I also wonder if the upgrade of DAC will make a huge difference.

Really look forward to hear back from you. thanks!

Edin

Celinara 6th April 2016 03:17 AM

Personally from when I listened to a Pure2, I have to say its a very impressive 2 channel, and even more impressive when you factor in its pricing. Antelope DACS are among my favourites. I got a chance not long ago to try out the Eclipse DAC, not side by side with a Pure2 though. What I find with Antelope ADDA is that it is VERY true to what is being put through it, while remaining musical. I'd put it in closer to the realm of the DAC on the Grace M905 (still have differences) as opposed to being HEDD like. Personally, I want to hear EXACTLY what I'm putting in through my DAC, and get my colour through things other than my ADDA. Thus the pure2 being on my wishlist. Just my 0.02

CDW 7th April 2016 04:26 PM

Based on my experience, I would have to disagree with the poster who recommended avoiding the Pure2. I use the Antelope Pure2 after my summing mixer and it is an outstanding "straight-wire" A/D for that purpose. I cannot speak to the D/A conversion since I do not utilize it.

I have no idea if the Pure2 is better than a Symphony or HEDD. I do know there was a clearly audible improvement over a Drawmer A2D2.

Good luck!