Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   So Much Gear, So Little Time (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/)
-   -   Computer Speakers - AWESOME SOUNDING? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/1015401-computer-speakers-awesome-sounding.html)

ilovetubes 24th June 2015 03:41 AM

Computer Speakers - AWESOME SOUNDING?

Any recommendations for computer speakers/desktop speakers - was thinking two speakers and a sub?

I have a soundcard so I could do an RCA cable or the aux cable.

just using them to listen to itunes and youtube but want some nice quality tunes

i have hs80s for monitors with a diff setup

mirka 25th June 2015 06:27 PM

It always comes to how much you can spend.

fritz.john 25th June 2015 06:29 PM

I've always liked Altec Lansings.

Lotus 7 25th June 2015 08:18 PM

Budget?, Size preference/limitations?

Models with great performance to cost ratios:

1. Audioengine A5+ Sound very musical, and are also available in a beautiful natural bamboo finish if looks are important.

2. Mackie CR4
Probably currently the "best bang for the buck" winner, as long as you don't mind the juvenile, bright-green paint trim.

3. Mackie CR3 (if desktop space and your budget is tight)

4. JBL LSR305 (if you have some room for "larger" "real" monitors, and can position the monitors 3 or 4 ft. from your listening location.

The CR4's and the LSR305s are both impressive sounding even without a sub.

The little CR3s sound better, play louder, and cost a lot less than than the Audioengine A2+, so the A2+ is not on my list.

If you really don't want to spend much, and don't need to listen at rock-concert levels, the Logitech Z130s always receive good reviews, and are really inexpensive.

hculture 27th June 2015 05:14 AM

Klipsch Promedia 2.1, very very good computer speakers. Around $120.00.

Kimotei 27th June 2015 05:37 AM

Check out the new Soundbucket on Kickstarter!

Gusss 27th June 2015 10:23 AM

Blue sky media desk

FLZapped 27th June 2015 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fritz.john (Post 11144641)
I've always liked Altec Lansings.

They don't even make PC speakers anymore.

I had an old pair of ACS 48s that were great and I am currently using an pair of 621s.

I agree with another poster, the JBL LSRs would be amazing.

filipv 27th June 2015 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lotus 7 (Post 11144862)
1. Audioengine A5+ Sound very musical, and are also available in a beautiful natural bamboo finish if looks are important.

What exactly does "sound very musical" mean?

If you put music on, can any speaker not sound "very musical"?

explorer 27th June 2015 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by filipv (Post 11148423)

Some speakers are more clinical, while others do have a more involving sound for music. Demo some different high end speakers and you will get a feel for how they all have different characteristics...

aaronsmith 27th June 2015 03:44 PM

altecs are really good yes, used them a lot, but currntly use microlab which really is amazing,

MicroLab FC330 56W 2.1 Speaker System - Dark Wood Finish | FC330

Lotus 7 27th June 2015 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by filipv (Post 11148423)

Fair question, sorry for the use of non technical, subjective terminology.:)

"Very musical", for me, means a smooth midrange response without obvious peaky resonances, no excessive, exaggerated highs that cause listening fatigue, warm bass without the obvious, "one-note" resonance of some small speakers that try to use an upper bass peak to simulate real bass response. In other words, a speaker that compliments typical music, rather than one which exaggerates or spotlights it's possible weaknesses.

For me there are many speakers that don't sound "very musical" when attempting to play music. Most computer speakers are an example, but, the prime example of a "not very musical" reproduction transducer today would be a smartphone speaker playing anything. I hear them every day and cringe at the abominable, distorted, extremely bandwidth-limited, peaky sound that the users seem perfectly content to listen to music through.

monitorlove 29th June 2015 10:21 AM

You havent mentioned your budget .

ilovetubes 8th July 2015 12:50 AM

Thanks for all the responses guys!! Ill let you know what i got soon! :)

monitorlove 30th August 2015 02:22 PM

Eve audio sc203 . Has built in dac. You can either connect via usb or via audio interface

LJay Audio 7th September 2015 05:48 AM

1st post on here howdy but I recently picked up a pair of Creative A250 2.1 computer speakers (due to selling my KRK's) & they sound pretty good for the money ($30). Of course they're not mixing worthy but they're good to just listen to some tracks!

Whack Doofa 7th September 2015 06:38 AM

JBL make a few useful sets. The control 1 & 2 are great.

By great, I mean they are useful as a mix reference and tool. They aren't particularly nice sounding.

I had an emergency last year and had to use a cheap <£50 pair of JBL computer speakers to do a quick mix overnight. I was blown away with the translation when I got to listen the next day. I just had to pull down the reverb a touch, as you do on smaller monitors, but that was it!

Nystagmus 7th September 2015 07:29 AM

I like the Alesis M1Active 320 USB Monitors/Interface. The interface is only 16-bit so it's not ideal for recording, but as computer speakers they are pretty good once you plug up the back ports. I just stuck some socks in mine and it got rid of the extra boominess. They aren't overwhelming in terms of sound, but that's good. They are a good analogue for lots of other common speakers such as car speakers, bookshelf speakers, boombox speakers, etc. They are USB Class Compliant so there's no drivers to install. You just plug them in and the computer sees them. There's also the M1Active 520s which are a bit larger and bassier.

I got the 320s for 90 dollars including shipping. They are magnetically shielded of course which is also a plus and the speakers are grilled for protection. I'm actually quite happy with mine. I actually mix with them. I know they aren't fancy monitors but they work good enough for my electronic music composing (with the socks in them). The go down to about 69 Hz which actually works out. There's a bass boost switch on the back for a 100 Hz hump too.

http://alesis.com/stuff/contentmgr/f...0_angle_md.jpg

MusicMixer28 17th July 2019 03:56 AM

Speakers

I am still for jbl monitors. I personally like my lsr305