Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/)
-   -   Yamaha Reface countdown (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1014452-yamaha-reface-countdown.html)

lutefish 19th June 2015 06:50 AM

Yamaha Reface countdown

I just updated the Yamaha SynthBook iPad app, only to find a giant count down timer for the Reface. 18 days until....?

SovietSpaceChild 19th June 2015 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lutefish (Post 11130040)
I just updated the Yamaha SynthBook iPad app, only to find a giant count down timer for the Reface. 18 days until....?

Summer NAMM 2015, July 9th-11th

https://www.namm.org/summer/2015

lutefish 19th June 2015 07:03 AM

Well, yes. The rumor that NAMM will happen is true.

Perplexo 19th June 2015 08:23 AM

Can't wait! This is gonna be great :D

Jamie munro 19th June 2015 08:34 AM

God I wish yamaha would hit us with an analog hybrid fm synth !

asynchro_nous 19th June 2015 12:16 PM

Odd name.

Sounds like an arch-villain: Watch out, Batman -- Reface is right behind you!

ToyBox 19th June 2015 12:39 PM

Finally, here they come. Let's see:
Reface trademark
Last year's Amazona (German) interview, where they first hinted at something coming. Also gives an idea of their way of thinking.
Speaking of which, their synth history is a good read, ties into what is said in the interview.

Bert Smorenburg filming videos with Nick Batt, a month ago. Other image.

Speculative blog post by some unknown person that I found interesting.

Recent Reddit where someone bumped into a Yamaha rep that said "I can't say much, but make sure to keep your eyes open during Summer NAMM. It's an unusual time to release what we're putting out, but people are going to be blown away"

An image of what the countdown looks like. Do those colors say anything?

boing

Ned Bouhalassa 19th June 2015 12:50 PM

Sounds like an interface.

StepLogik 19th June 2015 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ned Bouhalassa (Post 11130512)
Sounds like an interface.

Man that would be epic if Yamaha drummed up all this hype for a USB audio interface :lol:

Vertflyer 19th June 2015 03:23 PM

I heard from a rep, and don't spread this, Yamaha is entering the vinyl market.

Vinyl siding.

For real though, if it's a jdxa style workstation with built in analog, and sampling, with multiple cv outs, and a true multi parameter step sequencer. I'm in..

Hahah. Yeah.

ToyBox 19th June 2015 04:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
"Create your sound
Any place, Any time
"

The attached banner is from this Roland...wait no...YAMAHA Korea page, links to the Yamahasynth website when you click on it.

Btw, those colors refer to some classic Yamaha synths, if I'm not mistaken.

robinkle 19th June 2015 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToyBox (Post 11131046)
"Create your sound
Any place, Any time
"

The attached banner is from this Roland Korea page, links to the Yamahasynth website when you click on it.

Btw, those colors refer to some classic Yamaha synths, if I'm not mistaken.

You mean Yamaha site right? :P anyways.

The slogun is interesting.
"Create your sound, any place any time."

The first thing that came to my mind when reading it, was Modal Electronics. It would fit their technology, since you can edit sounds from a website.

Vertflyer 19th June 2015 05:36 PM

Yawn

Accent 19th June 2015 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToyBox (Post 11130483)
Finally, here they come. Let's see:
Reface trademark
Last year's Amazona (German) interview, where they first hinted at something coming. Also gives an idea of they're way of thinking.
Speaking of which, their synth history is a good read, ties into what is said in the interview.

Bert Smorenburg filming videos with Nick Batt, a month ago. Other image.

Speculative blog post by some unknown person that I found interesting.

Recent Reddit where someone bumped into a Yamaha rep that said "I can't say much, but make sure to keep your eyes open during Summer NAMM. It's an unusual time to release what we're putting out, but people are going to be blown away"

An image of what the countdown looks like. Do those colors say anything?

boing

There's also this interview with Richard Devine, where he mentions working on a top secret new thing for Yamaha: Richard Devine: Retaining Mastery of Machines In The Face of The Singularity - Eliptik Magazine

Exciting stuff. About time Yamaha got back in the game.

antoinevg 19th June 2015 05:39 PM

Reface?

My 5c says some kind of software-loadable synth which allows you to swap out the synth engines.

Basically Yamaha's answer to Roland's SYSTEM-1.

ToyBox 19th June 2015 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robinkle (Post 11131214)
You mean Yamaha site right? :P anyways.

The slogun is interesting.
"Create your sound, any place any time."

The first thing that came to my mind when reading it, was Modal Electronics. It would fit their technology, since you can edit sounds from a website.

...Oh god :facepalm:

I've been paying Roland far too much attention :lol:

Anyway, yeah, this hints at something cloud-y, maybe related to Cubase's VST Connect online collaboration thing.

Alternative is something very portable, but that's only valuable from a performance point of view, less so in the studio, and wouldn't represent much of a leap forward.

ToyBox 19th June 2015 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antoinevg (Post 11131231)
Reface?

My 5c says some kind of software-loadable synth which allows you to swap out the synth engines.

Basically Yamaha's answer to Roland's SYSTEM-1.

Possible, I think that's part of the future: it fully disconnects the sound engine from the interface, so you can access/play it from anything anywhere.

I do find that appealing.

cresshead 19th June 2015 05:56 PM

probably a phone app.

Sebastian N 19th June 2015 06:01 PM

Probably some iPad app and some midi controller for it. Probably cheap plastic. Or some absurdly expensive va with 8 knobs and a slow tuch screen

Synth Buddha 19th June 2015 06:13 PM

Groovebox with VA tech (AN2015).

ToyBox 19th June 2015 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accent (Post 11131224)
There's also this interview with Richard Devine, where he mentions working on a top secret new thing for Yamaha: Richard Devine: Retaining Mastery of Machines In The Face of The Singularity - Eliptik Magazine

Exciting stuff. About time Yamaha got back in the game.

"I’m working with Yamaha on a project right now; I can’t say what it is, but it’s pretty crazy. This synthesizer has new technology that’s never been implemented before, so it’s totally alien to anything I’ve ever used. I’ve had to spend a few weeks just understanding the architecture of it. " - Richard Devine

Wow, coming from sound guru Devine!!? What is Yamaha up to... wworried

robotunes 19th June 2015 07:39 PM

the update of the yamaha synth book app also included a "music remixer" applet that plays loops a la launchpad and ableton live. possibly they'll do a groovebox in the cloud that requires a monthly subscription? if so they won't get a dime outta me, even tho i'm a groovebox *****. will never subscribe to a cloud music instrument.

syntonica 19th June 2015 07:48 PM

Trademark search gives:

Goods and Services: Musical instruments, namely, music synthesizers and electronic keyboard instruments; structural parts and structural fittings for all the aforesaid goods

So it's a physical keyboard/synth, no? :/

robot gigante 19th June 2015 08:32 PM

Finally something new, Yamaha!

hittt

Ned Bouhalassa 19th June 2015 08:33 PM

A cloud synth. Play it on any device, anywhere there's WIFI. User and celebrity-uploaded waveforms, patches.

Cranngorm 19th June 2015 08:59 PM

"Any place, any time" --> not a new CS80 --> keep calm and carry on.

Probably something like refaced Tenori-On heavily influenced by Pocket Operator but with more hi-fi sound.

StepLogik 19th June 2015 09:22 PM

"I’ve had to spend a few weeks just understanding the architecture of it. " - Richard Devine

This is true for all Yamaha synthesizers :lol:

tux99 19th June 2015 09:29 PM

My guess a compact portable CS80 remake, but not analog, some kind of VA technology.

Mace Clef 19th June 2015 09:38 PM

Behold, the Motif Reface!

rockreid 19th June 2015 09:41 PM

yeah, probably VA tech a la Roland AIRA. Yes! you can get a new CS-80 ... Digital CS-80 that is.