Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   Sorry to bring up the Monkees, BUT....... (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/1010756-sorry-bring-up-monkees-but.html)

thenoodle 3rd June 2015 07:54 PM

Sorry to bring up the Monkees, BUT.......

Name the racked gear Mickey is sitting next to at 4 seconds into the video-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNyGl0babiQ

This was filmed on August 2, 1967 at Chicago's Fred Niles Production studios during two days that opened up (due to Detroit and Milwaukee race riots that forced the two cancelations) during the band's 1967 summer tour. The rack was wheeled in from one of the audio studios in the facility for visual effect.

To make use of the rare downtime, a series of ten music videos were filmed that day in the Niles' Rainbow room. Those would be inserted into the second season of the tv show.

The tapes were flown to Chicago from here in LA. Most of the tracks weren't even finished, so the lip synching was done along to tracks that maybe didn't yet have bass, or drums (only click) etc. Some lyrics weren't even completed on two of the tracks.

As an aside, Jimi Hendrix had split from that tour two weeks earlier. I saw the band from the stage area a couple of weeks after these Chicago lipsync sessions and it was a great show. Not quite like seeing Cream that year. But nice.

I don't want to sound like a Monkees pusher, but I followed the production team pretty closely in those days. I loved all the Chip Douglas produced Turtles stuff as well as what he brought to the Monkees in his short six month production of them. A master at editing to get decent performances imo. At least when that was needed for when only the four monkees guys were tracking.

I also admire drummer Eddie Hoh, who was the drummer on many monkees sessions. I could go on and on about his talent. Look him up... and his discography if you aren't already aware of him.

vincentvangogo 3rd June 2015 08:19 PM

No one should have to apologize for bringing up the Monkees - great band, who contrary to popular belief could play their instruments. I can't help you with your question unfortunately, other than to see it looks quite EMI-ish.

timtoonz 3rd June 2015 08:48 PM

The Monkees are awesome, and this song is one of their best.

I think it says a lot about that particularly fertile "post Beatles" musical period that even stuff like this that was intended to be "pop cheese" still came out as gourmet cheese of the highest order. Some of the best songwriters, producers, and musicians played on this stuff and it shows.

I've always wanted to cover this tune…

As for the Gear, NO CLUE. Looks like those giant military grade compressors you see sometimes like the 'Federal Something or Other' and those other pre-Altec designs that I believe are somewhat similar to the 'Ridge Farm Boiler' (?) or the Sta-Level. Total clueless guessing though.

mbvoxx 3rd June 2015 09:06 PM

can't tell from the photo but I bet there are some tubes in those units!
(Looks like they are not powered up though)

timtoonz 3rd June 2015 09:13 PM

This is the kind of thing that rack reminds me of…

Maxson CA 1589 Tube Compressor Limiter Amplifier AMP Dept OF Commerce 19918 | eBay

narcoman 3rd June 2015 09:17 PM

variants of things like the Collins KWM or R 390 or maybe some o the old Hewlett Packard oscillators like the HP325B distortion analyser or HP206A oscillator. Not audio gear per se (but often used to generate signals - this is the root of some primitive synthesis but from a good 10 or 15 years before this video) I'm afraid but transmission strength systems. Not sure of all of these things but they're more on the modulating signals side than audio. Well - certainly the middle one anyway!!

12ax7 3rd June 2015 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by narcoman (Post 11094279)
variants of things like the Collins KWM or R 390 or maybe some o the old Hewlett Packard oscillators like the HP325B distortion analyser or HP206A oscillator. Not audio gear per se (but often used to generate signals - this is the root of some primitive synthesis but from a good 10 or 15 years before this video) I'm afraid but transmission strength systems. Not sure of all of these things but they're more on the modulating signals side than audio. Well - certainly the middle one anyway!!

Yeah, that rack only has 3 items mounted in it (plus a spacer at the bottom).

I'm pretty sure it was brought over to the set because the director heard all the echo stuff on the record, and figured there should be some techie-lookin' stuff to play with in a few shots.

It DOES look like test gear.

superwack 4th June 2015 01:16 AM

No info (other than the same various military tube guesses) but I love the Monkees - met Micky a year or two ago at Largo in LA when Mike Nesmith was playing. Awesome and a thrill.

vincentvangogo 4th June 2015 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superwack (Post 11094791)
No info (other than the same various military tube guesses) but I love the Monkees - met Micky a year or two ago at Largo in LA when Mike Nesmith was playing. Awesome and a thrill.

I met Mickey a couple of years ago in London. One of the few celebs I've met where I felt genuinely in awe. (I think my voice went up half an octave while talking to him.) Lovely down to earth guy though who was happy to answer my numerous questions eg how Hendrix got to tour with them (he saw him in Greenwich Village, then headlining Monterey and thought 'he's a showman like us.')

Labs 4th June 2015 09:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I can't identify it, but I can contribute with a screen shot.

Gustav

Labs 4th June 2015 09:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am sorry....really sorry.

...I had to do this.

Gustav

sharkboy 4th June 2015 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Labs (Post 11095456)

...I had to do this.

Gustav

I like the Monkees and I approve of this message.

Karloff70 4th June 2015 01:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
....or it's a woman, and Mickey is trying to work it out. gooof

Rolf Ebitsch 4th June 2015 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karloff70 (Post 11095710)
....or it's a woman, and Mickey is trying to work it out. gooof

kfhkh

R.

jmikeperkins 4th June 2015 10:15 PM

I have no idea what the equipment is in those racks, but it is very interesting looking. It could be radio broadcast gear, test equipment or something else totally unrelated to recording audio. I absolutely love the Monkees and the records they made. I saw the Nesmith, Dolenz and Tork Monkees tour a year or so ago and witnessed Nesmith actually playing the riff to Pleasant Valley Sunday and I was blown away by seeing Tork's keyboard solo to the Nesmith song The Girl I Knew Somewhere played live right in front of my eyes. Never thought I would see that happen.

People still talk about the Monkees becasue they recorded great songs, written by some of the world's finest, and that is what sets them apart from every other manufactured pop group before or since. When you have material that good to record, how can you lose? I don't think the Monkees continued popularity can be attributed to simply nostalgia even though I love Mickey's voice and Chip Doulglas' production. If Miley Cyrus had songs that good on her records, even she might be respectable. There is an old saying in this business "you can't polish a turd" and by that, I mean the song is king. Get a good one and it's hard to screw up but you can't make a bad one sound good no matter what you do. I also think the Monkees TV show, with the exception of the music and the Monkeemobile, was generally awful and I can't even make it through a single episode without fast forwarding to the music parts.

adogg4629 4th June 2015 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Labs (Post 11095456)

...I had to do this.

Gustav

I'm stealing this for my Avatar here!!!

Swing 4th June 2015 10:58 PM

Also: Where'd Mickey find the nice curtain to wear?

VO Guy 5th June 2015 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincentvangogo (Post 11094123)
No one should have to apologize for bringing up the Monkees - great band, who contrary to popular belief could play their instruments. I can't help you with your question unfortunately, other than to see it looks quite EMI-ish.

Amen. I'm barely old enough to remember when they were on Network Prime Time TV. They were then, and remain, way cool.cooge

Arthur Stone 5th June 2015 01:42 AM

The Monkees inspired me...great tunes/techniques. Love those guitar riffs...I can play them slowly.

pcbiz 5th June 2015 04:47 PM

High end at its best. I've got a Monkees station on Pandora.

climber 5th June 2015 06:59 PM

Here's the original Carol King demo for Pleasant Valley Sunday... Very cool IMO

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FtyqPzeso5A

vincentvangogo 5th June 2015 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by climber (Post 11098975)
Here's the original Carol King demo for Pleasant Valley Sunday... Very cool IMO

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FtyqPzeso5A

Great example of how 'pop' didn't used to mean predictable chord changes and dumbed down lyrics. When was the last chart hit that had a line as cool as 'here in status-symbol land' or 'serenade the weekend squire, who just came out to mow his lawn.'

Brent Hahn 5th June 2015 07:39 PM

Right next door, here in the SF Valley, we have a movie/TV prop house that specializes in electronic stuff. Recording studios, NASA, Mad Scientist, that sort of thing. Lots of lights and meters. Good chance that that rack is sitting in their warehouse. Also a good chance that the gear isn't audio-related.

Drumnbass411 5th June 2015 07:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Have y'all seen the Manley MP in the new ninja turtle movie? heppy

thenoodle 5th June 2015 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent Hahn (Post 11099060)
Good chance that that rack is sitting in their warehouse. Also a good chance that the gear isn't audio-related.

Except the Rainbow Room videos were filmed in Chicago on Aug 2 1967. That rack is/was in Chicago, not out here.....at what was known as the Fred Niles production studios which did film/tv stuff..... which nowadays is owned by Oprah.

What with everyone's comments, I'd sort of go along with the stuff being test equipment.... but a definitive answer would be cool. I have an idea of another forum where I'm going to ask and then report back.

RTR 5th June 2015 08:04 PM

maybe its just for looks?

thenoodle 5th June 2015 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RTR (Post 11099116)
maybe its just for looks?

Yeah, I mentioned it was just for looks, but was trying to identify just what those things are. The Chicago facility was a big tv/commercial/audio facility, so no telling in what capacity that stuff was used for there day to day.

RTR 6th June 2015 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoodle (Post 11099152)
Yeah, I mentioned it was just for looks, but was trying to identify just what those things are. The Chicago facility was a big tv/commercial/audio facility, so no telling in what capacity that stuff was used for there day to day.

ya, thats true!

Petesie2 7th June 2015 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumnbass411 (Post 11099092)
Have y'all seen the Manley MP in the new ninja turtle movie? heppy

My favorite recent GS post. It's so out of context on one level yet completely in context on another. Also I can't tell if you're joking and that shot is 'shopped. And I like that.

Re: Monkees rack gear. They're not singing into mics but dragged in an awesome rack of weird outboard? Not sure what that stuff is, but it's probably not directly related to what you're hearing in the clip. Maybe it is, though.

It's all happening.

12ax7 8th June 2015 05:28 PM

Back in the day, test gear wasn't just something that got dragged out when something went "on the fritz" in a TV studio:

A lot of video gear required pretty frequent adjustment (sometimes several times a day), and so test gear would be permanently installed in the rack near the stuff it was testing.

That video was shot at about the time everyone was "going color" (rendering a lot of stuff obsolete overnight).

...And so stations were tossing TONS of obsolete gear.

A lot of it went straight to the landfill, and so the prop houses were just loaded with any of the stuff that looked cool.

...The bottom line is that a lot of the guys who might recognize that old gear "on sight" are dying off, so you might have a hard time finding out what the hell it is (even if you had a model number!).