Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Rap + Hip Hop Engineering and Production (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-hip-hop-engineering-and-production/)
-   -   Avalon V5/Neumann TLM 102 (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-hip-hop-engineering-and-production/1007217-avalon-v5-neumann-tlm-102-a.html)

parbkingh 16th May 2015 05:45 AM

Avalon V5/Neumann TLM 102

I've got my first time to make an impression on this site so I'm going to make this as concise as I can. Just ordered an Avalon V5, a trigger buy especially for $400 off. As for the details, I didn't start research on it until a day after winning the bid, and surprisingly couldn't find many reviews and still cannot on this recently released preamp by a so-called acclaimed manufacturer. Anyways, the question is, will the Avalon V5 with my TLM 102, help me receive a well balanced, clean yet slightly colored sound I desire for my vocal track? Or will I have to do some additional compression and processing in the mix? Thanks in advance for the replies.

kangking 16th May 2015 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parbkingh (Post 11050231)
I've got my first time to make an impression on this site so I'm going to make this as concise as I can. Just ordered an Avalon V5, a trigger buy especially for $400 off. As for the details, I didn't start research on it until a day after winning the bid, and surprisingly couldn't find many reviews and still cannot on this recently released preamp by a so-called acclaimed manufacturer. Anyways, the question is, will the Avalon V5 with my TLM 102, help me receive a well balanced, clean yet slightly colored sound I desire for my vocal track? Or will I have to do some additional compression and processing in the mix? Thanks in advance for the replies.

The recording will be more on the cleaner side. It should sound great! I'm thinking TLM 102 might sound similar to the TLM 103 (a good mic for rap). I'm sure the preamp sounds great. Even though its nice gear, On any mic and preamp you will want to compress when mixing for highest quality. You don't need to compress while tracking though as long as your not clipping. With that mic/preamp combo used right you should get some really nice recordings. Learn your gear

Sokrates 22nd May 2015 04:45 AM

You should be able to get some pretty serious results with that combo.

If you don't know by now, I'll fill you in on a little open secret. Almost 90 percent of this entire forum hates the living crap out of Avalon pres and Neumann TLM series microphones. I personally don't know why, I just know that's the way it is. So don't be surprised if someone pops up and starts getting all irrational.

Enjoy the V5

Inverted314 22nd May 2015 04:59 AM

I wouldn't have bought the Avalon. Any of the higher end audio interfaces do clean pretty well. I don't think this setup will have much color. It should sound quite good on many sources though. 102 is pretty versatile.

Recognizeus 11th April 2019 02:18 AM

I love my tlm103 and v5 along with ua1176. People who get it work a lot and enjoy it. Thats why it seems like most people hate it. Especially for rap this is great. Got thank blink blink factor as well