Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Newbie Audio Engineering + Production Question Zone (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/newbie-audio-engineering-production-question-zone/)
-   -   How to EQ (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/newbie-audio-engineering-production-question-zone/1006816-how-eq.html)

matt thomas 14th May 2015 11:29 AM

How to EQ

Does anyone know of any other great videos of how to eq?

Here is a great lesson on how to EQ (or at least one of the ways to eq), that I thought some newbies might appreciate:

The engineer in the video is the legend George Massenburg, he has a fantastic ear.

cheers
matt

ps. I'm going to sticky this for a while to see if we can get any more responses
pps. The point is to get a collection of videos in this thread, and not links to other sites

matt thomas 14th May 2015 07:54 PM

Any comments?

nickamandote 14th May 2015 11:28 PM

now we have graphical eq's and we still find mixing difficult sometimes. it seems the ears are the best option after all ;)

Liko 14th May 2015 11:42 PM

I'm a fan of the "boost, sweep, cut" method of finding ringing frequencies. It's one of those very basic tricks of the trade; people think you just know which frequencies to boost or cut, but really you're sweeping through in the headphones to find those lively, speaking frequencies, then taming them. It doesn't help that the piano track is wandering from left into center.

ReckNC00 15th May 2015 12:06 AM

Yeah, this is a great one. I remember finding it some years ago and pretty much using exactly this technique for then on, with a bit of Bypass button added in.

I think the most important take away from his technique is to keep moving rapidly; "rocking it" as he says. You need to keep your brain from getting used to any changes. Otherwise, your brain will automatically equalizes any frequency to your ears, once you "get used to" it.

matt thomas 15th May 2015 01:23 PM

Great comments.

Yes, I had always eq'd a similar way, but the way he "rocked it" is what I personally took away from this video.

I think I might start another thread about compression, but I don't know a video for that yet. If anyone knows of one, please put it in that thread. kfhkh

Matt

PeteGJ 15th May 2015 01:57 PM

Great video. Seems to me equing is the almost the entire job.

matt thomas 15th May 2015 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteGJ (Post 11048504)
Great video. Seems to me equing is the almost the entire job.

Especially if you're Bruce Swedien!

matt

matt thomas 25th May 2015 04:51 PM

whilst fabfilter's videos are designed to be promos for their (fab) products, they also provide excellent general info on techniques:

matt

killsganti 28th May 2015 05:21 AM

EQing is really easy. It's just cutting out the frequencies that sound bad and boosting the ones the sound good. The hard part is developing the ear to find those frequencies :D

215526 1st June 2015 01:05 PM

Great video. I only watched the first video in the thread.

So how would one go about employing what George Massenburg describes as a 'combination of using it (the EQ) as a peak and a dip' on a virtual eq (e.g. FabFilter Pro-Q)?

Muser 1st June 2015 01:29 PM

if you take into account Massenburgs experience, what's interesting is how focussed
his attention is and how much moving of the controls he does along with re-checking.
he's going to get that right and then commit.

he covers ground fast and to a high level of integrity. he has instant access to 30 controls, two handed.
he can also EQ L&R differently. it's hardly possible to translate that to a plugin.
most plug's don't even have independent L&R EQ. it's a tough call to try to get
that speed of control from a plug-in.

He doesn't have to think about his hands and fingers or anything else except
what he's listening for.

mutetourettes 1st June 2015 01:41 PM

just to add, the 'rocking it' approach is one I originally learned for manually focusing a camera lens... keep sweeping forward and back through the point of focus until your fingers get to know the point at which the focus 'pops' and your fingers can stop at precisely that point.... with practice it takes less and less 'rocking'

RoadToNever 1st June 2015 01:41 PM

That's why I stick with modern UI plugins like Fabfilter EQ over vintage emulations. You can easily do that rocking thing with the former, with the latter it's pretty hopeless. Talk about substance over matter. cooge

215526 1st June 2015 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt thomas (Post 11072482)
whilst fabfilter's videos are designed to be promos for their (fab) products, they also provide excellent general info on techniques:

matt

The narrator's voice for the FabFilter tutorials...wow! Is that for real?

maxgetz 3rd June 2015 07:00 PM

I don't know how many people actually know about this feature, but it's awesome-

On the stock PT eq3, if you hold control+shift and click on a bands frequency knob, it isolates/solos the band. Much more effective than boosting a band and sweeping that way. Obviously nothing new or groundbreaking, just didn't know it was available on the stock digi eq. Very helpful for learning frequencies and developing your ears.

As far as videos, Puremix.net has been an indispensable resource for me. They have some basic videos for free, and although most content is only available to paid subscribers, the monthly fee is extremely reasonable and to me well worth it. They do an awesome job and I'm constantly learning new techniques and ideas!

Young Max 4th June 2015 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxgetz (Post 11093914)
helpful for learning frequencies and developing your ears.

Not trying to spam (I posted a fresh thread on this this morning but it's getting buried) but I want people looking to improve their ears to find this useful.

Ear Training

I made this flash app, its a free tool to help train your ear to hear specific frequencies with more accuracy.

Piedpiper 4th June 2015 06:34 AM

With all due respect to George, does anyone else think he overdid it? I appreciate he was trying to get the piano out of the way of the vocal but it kinda raped the piano in the process...

Also, stating the obvious, I hope, but you better be damn sure your monitors are accurate, which is rarer than most people realize.

chainrule 4th June 2015 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piedpiper (Post 11095239)
With all due respect to George, does anyone else think he overdid it?

I saw a similar video a year ago and thought the same.

he took a beefy full piano sound and made it sound unbelievable thin.

Piedpiper 4th June 2015 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chainrule (Post 11095286)
I saw a similar video a year ago and thought the same.

he took a beefy full piano sound and made it sound unbelievable thin.

Kinda the opposite here. In this case he took a very clear piano and made it sound overly rich and mid scooped. I can imagine the need for either. He obviously had his reasons, but I usually am trying to get the job done while still staying within an arguably natural range, but that's just me. It's certainly interesting to watch in any case.

kangking 9th June 2015 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt thomas (Post 11045521)
Does anyone know of any other great videos of how to eq?

Here is a great lesson on how to EQ (or at least one of the ways to eq), that I thought some newbies might appreciate:

The engineer in the video is the legend George Massenburg, he has a fantastic ear.

cheers
matt

ps. I'm going to sticky this for a while to see if we can get any more responses

Really nice! That piano / vocal has really good sounding eq even through youtube. vocal works perfect with the piano too. I want to hear the whole song now!

Here's one I have used, this is a great tutorial for beginners for Eq'ing vocals. Similar approach, boost with narrow q, listen for "bad" frequencies, then cut, repeat on more bands until vocal sounds nice!

oceantracks 9th June 2015 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Max (Post 11095170)
Not trying to spam (I posted a fresh thread on this this morning but it's getting buried) but I want people looking to improve their ears to find this useful.

Ear Training

I made this flash app, its a free tool to help train your ear to hear specific frequencies with more accuracy.

Hey thanks for this, very cool..

TH

PatMC 10th June 2015 03:57 PM

Thanks, Gearslutz!
PatMC

chainrule 10th June 2015 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piedpiper (Post 11096402)
Kinda the opposite here. In this case he took a very clear piano and made it sound overly rich and mid scooped. I can imagine the need for either. He obviously had his reasons, but I usually am trying to get the job done while still staying within an arguably natural range, but that's just me. It's certainly interesting to watch in any case.

in general if you need to eq that drastically then you tracked/miced it wrong, or the instrument is not the right one.... You can't make a 22 inch kick sound like a 26 with eq, you can't make an upright sound like grand piano with eq.

I'm not sure what he was trying to accomplish with that much eq, but at that point just re-record it or sample it. If you have to use more than 2-4 db boost or cut there are obvious issues with your micing technique or recording technique. I realize in the demo world drastic eq is quite common to fix poorly recorded home studio or garage tracks, but a GML 8200 is generally found in rooms were people know how to track. Or one would think. The general rule of thumb in recording is to make things sound natural. That end result sound not only unnatural but rather unpleasing to the ear.

audiotasker 13th June 2015 05:00 AM

Pro q is one of my favorite when mixing in the box. I love how you can isolate the frequency targeted and listen to the exact tone you are manipulating.

TwinkleToes 6th July 2015 11:13 PM

Use your ears. Not your eyes. If you get the right sound at the source, then the need for EQ per individual track and thus the overall master track is minimal.

I made the mistake in my early days trying to copy settings people had used in online tutorials, and thinking if I used the same settings my mixes would sound great too. I was wrong!

At the end of the day, you can't polish a turd.

kasinjsh 7th July 2015 09:37 AM

You need to train Your ears to listen to sound shape, and goal whit eq is to balance sound that material is easy to hear. Sometimes some frequencies are too much in front that feels like sound is going through your head, not in front of it. Sometimes it is opposite and some frequencies are too distant and it feels like sound is too far away. A lot of people think that EQ is a magical tool that will make sound somehow better, but no - it doesn't. EQ is changing frequencies gain and only can shape sound that it sounds the best it can. If recording is bad nothing can fix that.

Hope it helps someone to understand a bit more about EQ.

apartment dog 7th July 2015 03:10 PM

I just shared this Michael White tutorial in another thread.
It is very insightfull for me and gives me the tools I lacked.

Cheers!

puremix.net 21st July 2015 12:55 PM

how to mix vocals

Free video here. Fab Dupont eqs Will's Vocal.

Gearfest 2011: Mixing 2/4 Vocal Tutorial | puremix.net

Teguh52 4th August 2015 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kangking (Post 11106255)
Really nice! That piano / vocal has really good sounding eq even through youtube. vocal works perfect with the piano too. I want to hear the whole song now!

Here's one I have used, this is a great tutorial for beginners for Eq'ing vocals. Similar approach, boost with narrow q, listen for "bad" frequencies, then cut, repeat on more bands until vocal sounds nice!

Good Video