Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   Cadac 2073 (Neve 10XX size) modules? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/1006284-cadac-2073-neve-10xx-size-modules.html)

Paul_G 11th May 2015 11:08 PM

Cadac 2073 (Neve 10XX size) modules?

Anyone know anything about the history of these? Cheers Paul

Geoff_T 12th May 2015 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul_G (Post 11039216)
Anyone know anything about the history of these? Cheers Paul

Hi Paul

No, not really, but here are a few clues...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadac_Electronics

You'll note the early connection to an Audix employee as I believe both companies were in close proximity. Also bear in mind that David Rees, Rupert's cousin, had left Neve around that time and worked at Audix.

Tenuous connections I know, but may have a grain of truth as to the validity of the coincidence...

jkthtyrt

Paul_G 12th May 2015 06:41 PM

Thanks Geoff!

I bought 6 recently and I believe they were originally custom made for the
De Lane Lea Neve console.

Primal Gear have a Neve A3929 (?) with 16 of them in at the moment.

They are transformerless like other old CADAC stuff.

I was just surprised given the vintage Neve fever how there was zero info on these on the web.

API 12th May 2015 07:01 PM

From what i know they were made by Cadac sometime on the 80´s as a cost effective way to expand and fill up some Neve console.

So they are not made by Neve or were sold with a Neve console originally, but do fit in a 1073 size slot.
They are all IC based and transformerless as you say, so nothing like the 80-series Neve design (or sound i guess) at all.

Geoff_T 12th May 2015 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul_G (Post 11040998)
Thanks Geoff!

I bought 6 recently and I believe they were originally custom made for the
De Lane Lea Neve console.

Primal Gear have a Neve A3929 (?) with 16 of them in at the moment.

They are transformerless like other old CADAC stuff.

I was just surprised given the vintage Neve fever how there was zero info on these on the web.

Hi

I couldn't find A3929 in my records but it may have been a standard console... that series of number was around summer 1976 when Neve were moving from RAF Blue to Extra Dark Sea Grey and PL numbers to PN.

I couldn't find a link to Primal Gear either, other than a load of camping stuff!

jkthtyrt

Paul_G 12th May 2015 07:16 PM

Pre Loved Consoles

Cheers!

Paul_G 12th May 2015 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by API (Post 11041025)
From what i know they were made by Cadac sometime on the 80´s as a cost effective way to expand and fill up some Neve console.

So they are not made by Neve or were sold with a Neve console originally, but do fit in a 1073 size slot.
They are all IC based and transformerless as you say, so nothing like the 80-series Neve design (or sound i guess) at all.

Yes that makes sense. Thanks!

Wiggy Neve Slut 12th May 2015 07:56 PM

I was looking at that console last year.

It's a bit overpriced FWIW and spoke to Blakey and Geoff at length about it and decided to go down the Raindirk route instead which I am most happy about.

The EQ are quite unique so in as far as they're very flexible, but I've never heard one per se.

I know Larking had the 6 unit rack for sale recently, did you buy these? Looking at the pics I'm not sure they'd be in the same ballpark as A Real 1073 etc.

Interesting units all the same I'd say.

Paul_G 12th May 2015 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut (Post 11041141)
I was looking at that console last year.

It's a bit overpriced FWIW and spoke to Blakey and Geoff at length about it and decided to go down the Raindirk route instead which I am most happy about.

The EQ are quite unique so in as far as they're very flexible, but I've never heard one per se.

I know Larking had the 6 unit rack for sale recently, did you buy these? Looking at the pics I'm not sure they'd be in the same ballpark as A Real 1073 etc.

Interesting units all the same I'd say.

Yes that's the ones I picked up. Out of curiosity really as I didn't have any Cadac stuff. The build quality is lovely and I'm looking forward to putting them through their paces….

If that console had still been on this side of the pond I would have seriously considered it too but not at that price and distance. It would have made a nice rack for my modules though.gooof

API 12th May 2015 08:38 PM

Not realy sure how close these are to other 80´s Cadac gear, but they are quite far from the 70´s Cadac (and Neve) modules.
Could be great sounding anyway of course.

Geoff_T 12th May 2015 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul_G (Post 11041057)

Hi

Judging by the Africaan silk screening, it's an South African Broadcast Corporation console.... one of many sold mostly in the A3317 to A3342 region of A number.

A3329 (as against A3929) was a 16 channel 4 Group console for their drama studios, one of ten produced (A3325 to A3334)

jkthtyrt

Paul_G 12th May 2015 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff_T (Post 11041314)
Hi

Judging by the Africaan silk screening, it's an South African Broadcast Corporation console.... one of many sold mostly in the A3317 to A3342 region of A number.

jkthtyrt

Interesting, thanks Geoff. kfhkh

blakeyboy 17th May 2015 08:10 PM

Hi all
The 2073's were made for a console in London that Console Electronics had butchered in the early 80's with the worst rewire ever.
(Not the SABC frame- the 2073's were put in when the 1089's were used in something else.)
The modules ( complete with Cadac monitor section) were an add- on, with the +- 22v rails slung underneath.
The 2073's do sound fast and clean, with crazily comprehensive eq. I had eight at one point, and miss 'em!
The things you sell, eh??

Paul_G 17th May 2015 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blakeyboy (Post 11053173)
Hi all
The 2073's were made for a console in London that Console Electronics had butchered in the early 80's with the worst rewire ever.
(Not the SABC frame- the 2073's were put in when the 1089's were used in something else.)
The modules ( complete with Cadac monitor section) were an add- on, with the +- 22v rails slung underneath.
The 2073's do sound fast and clean, with crazily comprehensive eq. I had eight at one point, and miss 'em!

Thanks Blake, fast and clean sounds great, I love have lots of slow and dirty! Quite a mad history they have.
The rack they're in is a signed one by yourself. Were these 6 three quarters of the 8 you mention?

Geoff_T 17th May 2015 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blakeyboy (Post 11053173)
Hi all

Hi Blake

KACHING!!!! Thanks for the memory jog.... Console Electronics..... I keep seeing crappy Neve modules with /CE silkscreened on the front panel.

I used to know/deal with him/them back in the eighties and it completely slipped my mind!

blakeyboy 18th May 2015 10:22 AM

Ah--- that explains my 1922/CE panels!!!
Kerching indeed!!
Peter Self? Right name?

blakeyboy 18th May 2015 10:30 AM

Hi Paul
Oh I remember that rack now...yes those were some of mine once...

Paul_G 18th May 2015 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blakeyboy (Post 11054405)
Hi Paul
Oh I remember that rack now...yes those were some of mine once...

Okay, that's good to know, thanks Blake.

Weirdly, I used to work for Peter Self when I was a teenager, helping take classic consoles out of studios, picking them up from auctions etc. He used to make test tapes too as I recall.

Geoff_T 18th May 2015 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blakeyboy (Post 11054400)
Ah--- that explains my 1922/CE panels!!!
Kerching indeed!!
Peter Self? Right name?

Hi Blake

That's the guy...

Remember those photos I sent you of a weird /CE module from an 8038? He took perfectly good working Neve modules out of the rev returns and fitted a passive module using the module carcass with a P & G 900 small fader. That poor little fader had to drive a dual 10K pan pot with 2.2K slugging resistors and then both 2T and Aux busses. Needless to say there was no signal until the fader right at the top.

And to crown it all, he fitted P & G faders to the monitor section, which was passive oddly enough, didn't have the BA372 PCB with 8 x BA338s, and those faders had to drive all the pan pots, bus sends and aux sends. Those also did not pass signal until near the top.

To fit them he "removed" the talkback panel which I found stuffed inside the frame.

Some guys should not touch Neve consoles as they do a disservice to the Neve company name and the unsuspecting clients.

Mind you, the dealer who sold him the console should have noticed that as they proclaim they are Neve experts also. Sonically speaking that console was a circus of mods.

jkthtyrt