Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Music Computers (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/)
-   -   Better performance out of one CPU? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/1005471-better-performance-out-one-cpu.html)

cherub2g 7th May 2015 08:09 PM

Better performance out of one CPU?

Good evening Gearslutz.

I have a question for the technical masters on this website, maybe they (you) can help me.

I currently run on a Dell Precision T7500 workstation with dual x5675 CPU's. 12gb of ram on each CPU. Windows 7 professional 64bit.

I love this workstation. I actually purchased this a few months ago off of ebay for very, very cheap. I came from an i5 2500k (not overclocked) PC that I built. I used my LS56 audio interface with the I5 2500k because I could not use my 1820m pci audio interface. Well this Dell allows me to do because of the CPU change and I never knew how much I missed that sound. I know people say that you can't really tell a difference between audio interfaces these days but I can tell a difference between these two. It also comes with performance benefits coming from the I5 2500k and firewire, to now being on the PCI bus.

Well my problem, question, is this. I have a large project running in Cubase 8 with MANY MANY VST EFFECTS that all run off of the CPU's. No DSP whatsoever. My VST performance meter (average load) hovers around 3/4 of the way with no pops but my "real time peak" meter is bouncing near the max. I assumed it was my Old audio interface causing the bottleneck somewhere.

Well, just playing around one day, I pulled the 2nd CPU riser out and ran the workstation with one CPU. I opened that project and both the VST average and real time load hovered steadily around 50%.

Can someone explain this? Is there a reason for this? Where is the bottleneck? Why do I get more performance out of one CPU?

If you need more specs let me know. I do have PCI-e cards installed also (boot drive, usb 3.0).

Thanks in advance

cherub2g 8th May 2015 10:12 PM

Well, for the time being, I just pulled out the 2nd CPU. I mean, not only do I get a performance boost in Cubase 8, but I also use less power kfhkh

I was just hoping someone had a possible answer or "tweak" I could do to the system. No big deal though.

thanks

Alndln 9th May 2015 01:46 AM

Are all cores getting used and balanced in Cubase?

Shaolin 9th May 2015 09:04 AM

Precisely. Somewhere there's a tick box in performance or options or some such for multithreading.

cherub2g 9th May 2015 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alndln (Post 11032669)
Are all cores getting used and balanced in Cubase?

I believe so. I did use the "UNPARK" registry edit trick to unlock all cores, but I think I found the problem........

I thought I had tweaked everything but I didn't. It turns out that I still had hardware Prefetch and Hyperthreading on in the Bios. I turned those off and now that same project is sitting just past 1/4 on both meters........ with a lower latency. Input of 4.xxx output of 3.xxx. Needless to say I'm very happy.

I have 102 vst's running right (Waves, Slate Digital, some J-bridged 32it plugins as well) and it isn't breaking a sweat. I wish I had rechecked the bios to begin with.

kafka 9th May 2015 11:34 PM

I'm having a hard time seeing how one could be categorically better than two. I retired my Dell 690 with dual Xeon X5350's a year or two ago, and it never broke a sweat as far as CPU is concerned. I'm pretty sure the old ProTools tweaks advice included disabling hardware prefetch.