Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   Burl b2 with Apogee Symphony workflow (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/1003682-burl-b2-apogee-symphony-workflow.html)

RABE 29th April 2015 09:50 AM

Burl b2 with Apogee Symphony workflow

hey slutz!

I was wondering if someone had a pointer or two on how i could incorporate the burl b2 into my current set up. Running PTools 10 native with an apogee symphony 16x thunderbolt. Want to be able to run out of the symphony into outboard gear as both inserts and 2 bus... then hit the burl and use that as the 2 bus converter to get back into pro tools... while monitoring through the front of the apogee...

thanks!

-jas

ebenard913 29th April 2015 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RABE (Post 11008605)
hey slutz!

I was wondering if someone had a pointer or two on how i could incorporate the burl b2 into my current set up. Running PTools 10 native with an apogee symphony 16x thunderbolt. Want to be able to run out of the symphony into outboard gear as both inserts and 2 bus... then hit the burl and use that as the 2 bus converter to get back into pro tools... while monitoring through the front of the apogee...

thanks!

-jas

Do you use any sort of analog summimg. Not a huge deal but if u do there's a way I will reccomend over another

ebenard913 29th April 2015 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RABE (Post 11008605)
hey slutz!

thanks!

-jas

Ok rabe. This was a good one and I have been wondering this myself. Did airless research and it seems u could go out of symphony via spdf or aes. Into b2 spdf out via b2 analog. Now you said you would like to monitor that via symphony???? I don't think you will be able to do that unless you put the analog section into a patch bay and then re patch the da of the b2 into an input on symphony and monitor the loop

I think. D maybe dsp doc or psycho monkey can chime in more on aes. I still haven't had a real life scenareo with aes so I can't pretend their might not be a flaw in the spdf to aes (which I think they are inter connectable )

Doc Mixwell 29th April 2015 01:30 PM

So, you have a Symphony I/O with a 16x16 module? Connected with Thunderbridge. But you want to add a Burl B2 Stereo AD converters to the setup.

The only way you can add Digital Audio connections with the 16x16 module is to use the SPDIF I/O ports, but they are not added to the unit as channels. You can mirror or replace a pair of Channels only.

It is pretty easy if you are sending 16 channels to a mixer and you want to use the Burl B2 for Recording the Mix. You just connect SPDIF cable and assign the channels.

Then you can record your mix with the Bomber.

EDIT: If you need to monitor back (golden rule and all)...You need another DAC attached to the other end of the SPDIF

matskull 29th April 2015 04:47 PM

I would use the spdif input like the others said.

Once you figure it out let me know how the burl compare to the symphony converter. I have a symphony and used a burl before but not at the same time so I couldn't compare.

Doc Mixwell 29th April 2015 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell (Post 11008973)
So, you have a Symphony I/O with a 16x16 module? Connected with Thunderbridge. But you want to add a Burl B2 Stereo AD converters to the setup.

The only way you can add Digital Audio connections with the 16x16 module is to use the SPDIF I/O ports, but they are not added to the unit as channels. You can mirror or replace a pair of Channels only.

It is pretty easy if you are sending 16 channels to a mixer and you want to use the Burl B2 for Recording the Mix. You just connect SPDIF cable and assign the channels.

Then you can record your mix with the Bomber.

EDIT: If you need to monitor back (golden rule and all)...You need another DAC attached to the other end of the SPDIF

^Damn, I really needed more coffee when I posted.

EDIT;
As I said before...The SPDIF I/O are only assignable to the existing 16 Channels of I/O.

With a 16x16 module...You would need another Symphony I/O module with AES/EBU I/O to ADD any Digital I/O to your setup.

Or you could sum out with 14 Channels instead of 16. And use the Last two Channels for 2-Bus Stereo Mix and 2-Track Monitoring.

RABE 29th April 2015 08:29 PM

ok cool thanks for all the info!

So just to be clear... I'm not using any analog summing. So the workflow would be : out channels 3-16 into the outboard gear and back into the symphony. connect the burl via SPDIF. use channels 1-2 to come back into the symphony via the burl analog inputs. the symphony would be taking the signial in via the SPDF thus bypassing its own converters. How about the clock? and i'm still confused about the monitoring. would i be able to hear a signal at this point or do i need more gear?

thanks again slutz!

Doc Mixwell 30th April 2015 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RABE (Post 11009966)
ok cool thanks for all the info!

So just to be clear... I'm not using any analog summing. So the workflow would be : out channels 3-16 into the outboard gear and back into the symphony. connect the burl via SPDIF. use channels 1-2 to come back into the symphony via the burl analog inputs. the symphony would be taking the signial in via the SPDF thus bypassing its own converters. How about the clock? and i'm still confused about the monitoring. would i be able to hear a signal at this point or do i need more gear?

thanks again slutz!

Yea for sure, that makes this task much easier,
First connect the Bomber to the SPDIF input. Clocking options are flexible. You can Sync the Apogee right from the SPDIF port, or connect external clock with a Word Clock cable between them. You can use the Apogee or the Burl as the master. I would suggest trying it out both ways, but it won't matter to me as much as others how you clock these two. They are both extremely good.

Anyway, so you want to send channels to outboard gear and re-record it with the Bomber AD. Well you would just assign the SPDIF to replace Analog Inputs 1/2 but to monitor that signal you can use any Channel of DA you want with your DAW mixer output. Since you are just looping through gear. It would seem you can devote any pair of Channels to your Monitor/Mix output.

RABE 30th April 2015 03:22 AM

Great! thanks again. I'm looping through some outboard gear but also have some hardware on the 2 bus... so it would connect via spdf - then i can take analog 1-2 out of the apogee into my 2 bus comp/eq then directly into analog inputs of the burl? so spdf would replace the analog inputs of the apogee... would i need an additional 2 inputs in order to monitor? although i have a 16x i only have one breakout cable for use at home so only 8 in and out...

-jas!

Slug1 30th April 2015 03:48 AM

If you have the dollars, get a nice analog mixer(Allen and Heath, mackie, toft, etc) and go out of the symphony 16 outs, into the 16 mixer channels (each set to unity gain). Then go out of the mixer's stereo output into the Burl analog inputs. Then out of the Burl digital outputs, and back into the symphony SPDIF inputs. A poor mans summing set up. If you get a 24 channel board with direct outs, you can also use the other 8 channels as mic inputs that go direct out into the symphony analog inputs. You can also use the mixers master section for monitor control. You can probably get a nice mackie 24 channel for $1000. Or grab a Dangerous D-box and really get crazy! But putting something between the symphony and Burl will open up you capabilities. Oh and you can use channel or buss inserts for your outboard gear!

RABE 1st May 2015 01:15 AM

lynx aurora

without going the mixer route... what would be the workflow for using the burl with an lynx aurora 8 thunderbolt? it doesn't have spdif correct?