Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Photo diaries of recording studio construction projects (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/photo-diaries-of-recording-studio-construction-projects/)
-   -   Hyperreal Overkill – Studio Construction (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/photo-diaries-of-recording-studio-construction-projects/1000449-hyperreal-overkill-studio-construction.html)

Helvetica 15th April 2015 02:05 AM

Hyperreal Overkill – Studio Construction

Long time lurker here. I've been building a personal studio over the last few years and eventually started a blog. I thought I would share it here as I have enjoyed and been inspired by many studio build threads here on GS. If you're interested in another studio build, please check out the blog at:

Blog | HYPERREAL OVERKILL

Cheers,
helvetica

Kiwi Audio 15th April 2015 06:21 AM

Love it! Love your attention to detail. I for one, as many others currently sharing their builds on this forum, know the extra work it takes to stretch a dollar and maintain a smaller budget. The place looks awesome!! I can wait to see more! Be sure to post on here often as well as your blog!

-Brad

Helvetica 15th April 2015 12:46 PM

Cheers

Thanks, Brad. BTW, your build is one of the most inspiring I've seen on GS since Clueless posted his build of Manifold Recording. My build isn't nearly on this scale but it's all about making the best with what you've got.

Cheers,
helvetica

incubus 16th April 2015 01:12 PM

Great build. I will be following this!

Helvetica 24th April 2015 09:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
New post on the blog:
Framing for the acoustic treatment.

I'm starting to build the framing inside the control room walls for the acoustic treatment.

For the story see: Acoustic Framing | HYPERREAL OVERKILL
To see how I got here, see: Blog | HYPERREAL OVERKILL for the whole blog.

Cheers,
h

Helvetica 28th May 2015 01:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, a new post is up on the blog about building the ceiling cloud.
Sorry this has taken a bit of time. These things are sometimes more work than they appear.
Here’s an idea of how the frame ended up looking.
For the full story on how it all came together, check out the blog at:

Acoustic Cloud | HYPERREAL OVERKILL

Cheers,
h

Helvetica 27th June 2015 05:10 PM

New blog post: More Acoustic Framing

1 Attachment(s)
Another post on the studio construction blog:
Framing for the acoustic treatment in the live room.

It’s still mostly timber and fibreglass but now I’ve got an actual piece of gear installed: the live room patchbay. Ok, it’s just a patchbay but…

For the story see: More Acoustic Framing | HYPERREAL OVERKILL

Cheers,
h

Helvetica 6th August 2015 02:50 PM

Progress in the Live Room

1 Attachment(s)
Another post on the studio construction blog:
A bit of progress being made in the live room.

It's amazing how a bit of moulding can change the appearance of things.

For the story see: Progress in the Live Room | HYPERREAL OVERKILL

Cheers,
h

Helvetica 17th September 2015 02:16 AM

Live Room Completed

1 Attachment(s)
New blog post – live room is now done!

For the story, check out:
http://hyperrealoverkill.com/live-room-completed/ ‎

To see how I got here, see:

Cheers,
h

spacyman 18th September 2015 09:43 AM

Nice job with the fabric, looks very clean

Helvetica 18th September 2015 01:09 PM

Fabric

Thanks! The fabric is pretty easy to work with, building the frames is a bear though. Like everyone else, I'm using Guilford of Maine fabric – I have no complaints about working with them. :)

nippoo 30th September 2015 01:33 AM

Gorgeous work! I've been following your blog as pretty much the main inspiration for my own home studio - I'm only building a control room but the pictures and detail you've explained the build process is absolutely awesome. Great result, too - congrats!

If I may ask, where are you in the world (i.e. which country/state)?

Helvetica 30th September 2015 01:11 PM

Thanks for following the blog, Nippoo! It's great to hear that the work is inspiring you - as I have said, I have been very inspired by the projects I've seen here on GS. Incidentally, there are very strong arguments in favour of single room studios. If you have pictures up, I'd love to see them. I'm in the Greater Toronto Area, BTW.
Cheers,
h

Helvetica 1st October 2015 04:07 PM

Rigid Fibreglass

1 Attachment(s)
New blog post in the construction of the new studio. This time: rigid fibreglass and electrical work in the control room. Enjoy!

Rigid Fibreglass | HYPERREAL OVERKILL

Cheers,
h

Helvetica 22nd October 2015 10:07 PM

Scrims

1 Attachment(s)
New blog post in the construction of the new studio. Today it's all about the scrims. Enjoy!

Scrims | HYPERREAL OVERKILL

Cheers,
h

Colliderman 22nd October 2015 10:38 PM

This is such an amazing and inspiring build. Great work. Can't wait to see it full of gear! kfhkh

Helvetica 23rd October 2015 02:00 PM

Cheers!

Thanks Colliderman. It's been a long time – I can't wait for this thing to be operational as well. :)
Cheers,
h

Kiwi Audio 26th October 2015 06:58 AM

Looks absolutely amazing! Top notch quality work! How do the rooms sound? How excited are you to get in there and start working?! :)

Great job!!

Helvetica 27th October 2015 01:29 PM

Excited to get in there? You have no idea!
Just about everything has been put on hold over the past 5 years while I work on this project. That said, there are a thousand little things that will need to be dealt with before I start rolling in the racks so I have to stay focussed or they will never get done. Still, the rooms do sound really good and I know we will get there. kfhkh Thanks for the words!

Cheers,
h

Helvetica 12th November 2015 09:14 PM

Done! Sorta.

3 Attachment(s)
New studio construction blog post. I'm calling an end to major construction!
cooge Woo hoo!

Done! Sorta. | HYPERREAL OVERKILL

Cheers,
h

Helvetica 17th December 2015 03:08 AM

Quick Update

2 Attachment(s)
Folks,
A minor update – so minor that it doesn’t even warrant a blog post. I have been sorting out where the gear is going to go, building some furniture, pulling some snakes and just generally cleaning up a bunch of loose ends. I also got the drapes installed. As you can see, still no TV or monitors in the room but I thought I’d post a picture with the stuff in rough placement because I’m going to start wiring this thing – and the room never looks as pretty after the cables go in. Send me questions if you’ve got ’em. Thanks for following along.
Cheers,
h

Owen L T 17th December 2015 07:26 PM

A fitting conclusion to an epic, 5 year (!) journey. Congratulations.

Helvetica 18th December 2015 02:27 PM

Epic indeed. Thanks owenIt! kfhkh

Motoxxx 18th December 2015 06:22 PM

Absolutely gorgeous! The compliment you got from Kiwi should not be taken lightly if you have seen the quality of work he has done on his build. That guy is also a badass!

Great freakin job! My build is coming up on 3 years here pretty soon so I know and can relate to putting things on hold. Way to go!!!

Motoxxx 18th December 2015 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helvetica (Post 11552982)
Epic indeed. Thanks owenIt! kfhkh

Where is this excellent space located?

Helvetica 19th December 2015 04:22 PM

Yep. I can assure you – I have huge respect for Kiwi's work. kfhkh I've followed his thread and the results are exquisite. Thanks for following!
Cheers,
h

Helvetica 19th December 2015 04:24 PM

BTW. I am located in the Greater Toronto Area.
h

thedigitalgod 21st January 2016 12:00 AM

this may seem like a simple detail, but how do you attach the fabric covered scrims to the wall invisibly?

Helvetica 21st January 2016 02:20 PM

The scrims are nailed to the timber frames underneath with finishing nails. I used a cordless nail gun that fires nails that have virtually no head – then sunk them with a nail set. If you get up close, you can find the nails if try but otherwise they are pretty invisible. Thanks for the question. More pictures coming soon with the gear set up. Cheers!

Helvetica 2nd February 2016 01:35 AM

Epilogue

4 Attachment(s)
New post in the studio blog:
I’ve got most of the equipment in and am in the setup and troubleshooting stage.

For the story see: Epilogue | HYPERREAL OVERKILL

Cheers,
h