The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Building a pc for fl studio maschine and studio one
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Maniac

Building a pc for fl studio maschine and studio one

Im looking to build my first pc and att first I was going to just buy a dell gaming pc and a mac mini but I think it would be cheaper to just build one for production and recording and mixing.

This is what ill be running:

Production
FL studio 11
Maschine
Komplete 9 or korg kross 61
Nexus
Omnisphere
Sklenth
And a couple of older vsts but these are my resource hogs lol

Recording
Studio one 2.6
Izotope ozone 5
Waves ren bundle
Izotope nectar and allow
Sound toys filter

Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 (upgrading to modded echo audiofire 12 next year)

Now this is my first build I was using a Toshiba laptop for my production (intel dual core 2.2gb 3gb ram with windows 7 home) & a dell inspiron (core duo 1.8gb 2gb with windows xp sp3) and I cant really dig in without a overload and dropouts.

Any body know what I should look at? I can spend about 400-600 on the build not including hard drives monitors and dvd drives..

Sent from my SGH-T989
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Maniac

you wont find any developers of software testing their product on home brews......and from what my friends have experienced with homebrews builds and lack luster performance, compared to almost stock units....honestly...its not worth the risk and headaches....just sayin but ...i would buy the dell platform that is a known entity...
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Maniac

I really dont want to use windows 8 to much of a ram hog just to run the os I perfer 7 and a basic dell inspiron is better for production and recording than a built amd 8core at the same price point?

Sent from my SGH-T989
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear
^I think it's pretty bad advice to grab a store-bought unit lol.

They don't come close to the specs you can build for yourself.... and come loaded with tons of garbage you have to sift through. I think you're on the right track. A clean install of Win7 + the drivers for all of your hardware (all motherboard drivers (ie. SATA drivers, chipset, LAN), video card, interface, yada yada) and you're in business. Just make sure you go to the motherboard's support website and download everything. Downloading takes longer than the actual install.

Anyway... I've done a ton of recommendations in multiple threads. But... for $4000-$600, i'd probably go with AMD.

At Micro Center:
AMD FX8350 + Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 mobo combo - $267
Samsung 840 Pro - $139
Crucial Ballistix 8GB (2 x 4GB) - $80
Corsair 600Watt PSU - $65
Corsair Hydro H690 - $65
Fractal Design XL case - $99

Find a cheap Radeon 5450

That totals to about $715... however, you can obviously do things to knock down the price. I'd buy CPU, MOBO, and PSU new. Don't skimp there.

If you remove the SSD, it's well under budget. Samsung Pro 840 is one of the top of the line SSDs... you could find an aftermarket used SSD and it would be fine. Practically anything is fast enough for a system drive, if you're not into the benchmarking craze (muost music guys are not lol.. we only care if it works). I had an old Intel X25m i got on ebay for like $50.. it works great. So there's a huge savings right there.

You could find used RAM kits as well. That's fine to buy after market.

Also.. you don't absolutely have to grab a water cooler for your CPU. It's a good idea, so you can overclock your CPU and get that extra power. it is noticeable. But... not necessary... especially since you're currently working on older equipment. You'll notice the sginificant improvement either way.

So yeah... you could easily end up spending somewhere around $500 for a ridiculous new setup. It won't be the new i7 stuff... but... the 8350 should still be LIGHTS OUT better than what you have.

Just remember to get a cheap vid card like a Radeon 5450 or something, b/c most good motherboards don't come with one. I just sold my old 5450 for like $30. Didn't need it. They're a case of old technology that still works great for anything other than gaming. Perfect for custom builds where no gaming or video editing is going to happen lol

If you're magically able to increase your budget by about $100... upgrade the CPU/Mobo combo to at least an i7 3770K and a Gigabyte/ASUS mobo that supports it and you won't be disappointed. However... the FX8350 is probably a smarter way to spend your money. I recommend it to you b/c you don't seem like you care for the "biggest, baddest on the block" CPU... and it doesn't sound like you plan to upgrade much.. if you were working on that current setup for so long. So the AMD should be a good fit. However... just be aware that as good as the FX8350 will be... the i7's are even better.

Also... I wouldn't worry too much about the build. It's not rocket science... at least no anymore. The only parts to research and pay close attention to are:

1) Installing a heatsink.
Heatsinks usually come with preapplied paste. Just make sure you get it on right the first time. You don't want to put it on, smear the paste, and then remove it. That's a no no. It can lead to heat issues down the line. So.. do research to get that right the first time.

2) Driver installations
Just make sure you make a list of everything you need to install, so it becomes easier to do. Everything down to installing Java, Adobe Flash, etc.

3) The knee bone's connected to the thigh bone
Everything else just has to do with mounting the mobo into the case (easy) and attaching things to it (easy). Just make sure you have a nice small screw driver and about 2-3 hours. It takes less time when you're familiar with it. The first time, it's easy to be nervous b/c you don't wanna break something. However.. all you're doing is just pluggin things in to the motherboard. The manual will tell you what is what.. (ie.. which slot to put the RAM in... which pin is the power pin for your case's front panel.. etc).
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Maniac

My hard drives need to be:
ssd for system,
ssd for sample libaries for kontact and omnisphere,
7200 rpm hdd for recording audio files, and
5400 rpm hdd for session files and samples

So 4 internal hard drives would be needed (2 ssd and 2 sata drives)?

can I use hybrid drives instead of a ssd drive or hdd?

Sent from my SGH-T989
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOCTOR FIKX View Post
you wont find any developers of software testing their product on home brews......and from what my friends have experienced with homebrews builds and lack luster performance, compared to almost stock units....honestly...its not worth the risk and headaches....just sayin but ...i would buy the dell platform that is a known entity...
This is bad advice in my opinion for a production system.

Dell is notorious for loading their computers up with unnecessary software.

Their computers don't seem to perform nearly as good as a home built system and they use cheap components.

I would never buy a dell or any other mass produced PC machine for music (or any other activity really other than internet browsing and word document editing). Unless it was a DAW manufacturer.

The mini on the other hand works great for music, but it isn't very upgradable which is fine for me due to the price.

If you're going to build a windows machine I'd definitely do the research on the system and build it yourself or spend extra and get a computer made for production.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicitybeats View Post
My hard drives need to be:
ssd for system,
ssd for sample libaries for kontact and omnisphere,
7200 rpm hdd for recording audio files, and
5400 rpm hdd for session files and samples

So 4 internal hard drives would be needed (2 ssd and 2 sata drives)?

can I use hybrid drives instead of a ssd drive or hdd?

Sent from my SGH-T989
HI,
If you are wanting that drive configuration and want them to be large enough and fast enough and big enough to deal with your sample libraries then $1500 to $2000 would be a more realistic budget.
No matter if you got a off the shelf Dell or built your own budget AMD or powerful Intel system.

Chris
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Maniac

Hard drives are not included in my budget because I already brought 2 ssd drives and 2 hybrid hdd and 4 external hdd now I have a professional studio where I do my sampling and final recordings, all I want to do is run my soft synths and plugins when I make records or record rap vox

Sent from my SGH-T989
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear
If you already have the SSDs... golden.

Use that savings and get the 3770K + cooler and overclock about 30%.

Or... get the 4770K and don't overclock it (those babies get hot.. too hot to recommend overclocking without a lot of experience)
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodan View Post
This is bad advice in my opinion for a production system.

Dell is notorious for loading their computers up with unnecessary software.

Their computers don't seem to perform nearly as good as a home built system and they use cheap components.

I would never buy a dell or any other mass produced PC machine for music (or any other activity really other than internet browsing and word document editing). Unless it was a DAW manufacturer.

The mini on the other hand works great for music, but it isn't very upgradable which is fine for me due to the price.

If you're going to build a windows machine I'd definitely do the research on the system and build it yourself or spend extra and get a computer made for production.
I disagree.......you can get a dell precision t7400 with dual quad core xeons x5482 and 16gb ram for about 250 used......and your just assuming somebody is just going load all the dell stuff.....wrong

that with clean install of win 7 on a ssd...
flying machine....

and it rated #9 here......so show me a better bang for the buck....pls !!!!!!

PassMark - [Dual CPU] Intel Xeon X5482 @ 3.20GHz - Price performance comparison

CPU Mark Relative to Top 10 Common CPUs

As of 22nd of October 2013 - Higher results represent better performance
Intel Core i7-3930K @ 3.20GHz
Intel Core i7-4770K @ 3.50GHz
Intel Core i7-4770 @ 3.40GHz
Intel Core i7-3770K @ 3.50GHz
Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40GHz
AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core
Intel Core i7-3820 @ 3.60GHz
Intel Core i7-2700K @ 3.50GHz
[Dual CPU] Intel Xeon X5482 @ 3.20GHz

Intel Core i7-2600K @ 3.40GHz
Intel Core i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz
PassMark Software © 2008-2013
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOCTOR FIKX View Post
I disagree.......you can get a dell precision t7400 with dual quad core xeons x5482 and 16gb ram for about 250 used......
Link?
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
Link?
got mine on craigs list

here is one close enough...they are out there

Building a pc for fl studio maschine and studio oneDell Precision Workstation T7400 Intel Dual Xeon Quad Core 3 20GHz 8GB No HDD 3 | eBay
Old 23rd October 2013
Well, those workstation PCs (HP, Dell, IBM, etc) on craiglist or Ebay could be good, but you need to make sure you can return. Many of those come from corporates/universities, and after 5-10 years of service, they go to surplus/salvage facility because of unstable motherboard/RAM, PSU, etc and found to be 'not worth fixing' (they are usually not allowed to sell on Ebay/CL). Then, some folks go to those surplus buildings, and pick up some of them, with almost free (sometimes $10-$20 if the machine doesn't work). Then, they take parts from one machine and put it in another one to see if works.....Then, listed in Ebay or CL around $200-$500.

I know at least handful of people doing this kind of 'business'.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Maniac

hey...servers are speced for 24/7 usage.....take a chance...i did....i had 4gb ram go bad....but that was lifetime warranty ....and crucial replaced it for free...just saying this is a valid option ....

as these dell precision servers have out performed all my friends homebrews...and i nean all......honestly....
and i say this from a user....not somebody who has not even had the product...to review

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search