The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Studio One Exporting . . . how long?
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Studio One Exporting . . . how long?

How long are you guys waiting for stems to export?

I just finished a song at 5min30sec long w/ a little over 60 tracks. Hardly running any plugins as I like a clean track to send to mixing. I use a limiter on master bus ONLY for very rare or slight clipping. Meaning there's tons of headroom, but just in case something clips slightly that I didn't notice.

It took 2 hours and 20 minutes. I never remember it taking this long. I'm running the most recent version 2.6

I've had others say that they stem out full projects in 5-10 minutes.

When I'm saying stem, I am saying individual multi tracks. I know stems are usually groups of instruments, but I'm using the terminology used in my DAW which is stems = one track.

How long are you track exports taking?

I'm not only interested in S1 users, anybody can reply.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subby33 View Post
When I'm saying stem, I am saying individual multi tracks. I know stems are usually groups of instruments, but I'm using the terminology used in my DAW which is stems = one track..
I suppose the question would be, why export one track at a time (in series?) instead of all tracks at once?

There is no case where a stem render (using the stem dialog and "Channels" tab?) should take longer than the song length since they render all at once and it always goes (when doing offline) faster than real time ... and they can render all at once in real time while the song plays, so a 5 minute song rendering all of it's mixer channels to individual stems would render in 5 minutes (if the render is real time).

You could also easily just record everything back to new tracks in real time "PT Style"... but I'm not clear on the reasoning of what you're doing.

Bounces go in series (one after the other). Stems (mixer "Channel" stems) render parallel. Maybe you're just doing it wrong and printing "Track" stems, not "Channel" stems.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
I suppose the question would be, why export one track at a time (in series?) instead of all tracks at once?

There is no case where a stem render (using the stem dialog and "Channels" tab?) should take longer than the song length since they render all at once and it always goes (when doing offline) faster than real time ... and they can render all at once in real time while the song plays, so a 5 minute song rendering all of it's mixer channels to individual stems would render in 5 minutes (if the render is real time).

You could also easily just record everything back to new tracks in real time "PT Style"... but I'm not clear on the reasoning of what you're doing.

Bounces go in series (one after the other). Stems (mixer "Channel" stems) render parallel. Maybe you're just doing it wrong and printing "Track" stems, not "Channel" stems.
Then something must be off. I'm telling it to process offline and I'm choosing channel stems.

I'm having new issues anyway. I upgraded to 2.6 and I cannot hear my audio anymore :-/
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subby33 View Post
Then something must be off. I'm telling it to process offline and I'm choosing channel stems.
Yes, something is definitely wrong. I mean, if you choose "real time" instead of offline it should print all the stems checked in that dialog in real time which should only take as long as the song takes to play. Maybe if you could do a YouTube video of what's happening I could see it and understand better.

In the meantime until you sort it out (instead of waiting so long, hours?) maybe just record back to audio tracks in real time like with PT.

I hope you get it sorted.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Yes, something is definitely wrong. I mean, if you choose "real time" instead of offline it should print all the stems checked in that dialog in real time which should only take as long as the song takes to play. Maybe if you could do a YouTube video of what's happening I could see it and understand better.

In the meantime until you sort it out (instead of waiting so long, hours?) maybe just record back to audio tracks in real time like with PT.

I hope you get it sorted.
Alright well I am an idiot.

I did have Realtime Processing selected, somehow I clicked it and thought it said "Offline" when there really is no option for offline, its just like that by default. It was simply just checking my settings again and unchecking that option

God I feel stupid.

The audio issue was actually an issue w/ Guitar Rig 4. When I updated, it somehow switched the channels in the plugin that I use for audio, so I had to manually select the correct channel in the plug in, and then I could hear the guitars again.

Thanks for responding anyway and at least maybe this post will help some poor sap like me in the futre HAHA.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search