The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Presonus Studio One - 5 months on.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Presonus Studio One - 5 months on.

Hi All,

I have been reading the threads on this great app. I have been thinking about taking the plunge and purchasing the pro version based on how fluid the demo felt.

Those of you that have purchased it, how do you find it almost 6months later? now that a fair bit of the hype has died down. Is this still a contender? It seems pretty god to me, I just dont want to switch DAWs and then find that I have a DAW that is going to fade out.

How are your final mixes sounding?

Has anyone dropped their old DAW completely for this?

One concern I have is regarding the midi, I have not been using midi with the demo but have heard that it is not midi friendly?

Just thought I would ask

Thanks all.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I dropped Cubase and FLStudio because of it.

Suits my style of work, it's extremely fast and intuitive. Sound quality is amazing. I produce electronic music only, lot's of vsti's, etc....and I find it suitable for what I do. But on end, it all comes down to the personal preference. It may suit me, but it doesn't mean it will suit you.

Conclusion, it's great DAW, you can't go wrong with it.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I might be a bit biased because I wrote the Groove 3 tutorials for Studio One. But doing that, I spent a LOT of time with it. In the range of available DAWs Studio One is not the full featured but it wins on a single word, "workflow". Fast to learn, fast to render mixes and bounces and it tends to work like other software, but not necessarily other DAWs.

I really enjoy working in S1 and for the most part, I do everything in it. Midi works well but the features are more limited than other DAWs. I typically have one midi part per track... like bass lines or piano parts. But if you were doing complex orchestral scores, it might not be the best fit. I sometimes miss having a score view as well.

While time stretching and pitch shifting are smooth and well implemented, there is nothing like elastic audio or warp markers. It is a manual operation.

Apart from that, the workflow speed gains are considerable. Drag and drop makes sense and sound quality is great. It works well on Mac or PC. The user forum is friendly had helpful. The PreSonus staff and developers are accessible and responsive.

Over the year, the product has matured in stability and features. There were many bug fixes and multiprocessor support tweaks issued during 2010. I know that lots and lots of people have dropped Cubase and other DAWs for the ease of use and sound quality of S1. But if you aren't in the early adopter category, you might want wait and watch a bit longer.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search