The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
S1: How do I assign CC control to the hi-hat in SSD5.5 ?
Old 5th August 2020
Gear Addict

S1: How do I assign CC control to the hi-hat in SSD5.5 ?

I tried, I swear. Googled and all that.

I don't get it, the External Devices window doesn't let me assign CC Midi.

In SSD5.5 (Steven Slate Drums) there are two CC channels for hi-hat control, but how to link to any device/knob?

Thanks!

Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

What CCs is your external device sending?!

Does SSD5 have a control you can click for the hi hat?
If it does you can just control link it (so long as the midi control you want to assign it to is appearing in the external devices gui for that controller).

Use midi learn to bring the physical control up if it's not there.

If you can't click the hi hat control in SSD5 in order to control link it, then you'll have to translate the CCs your controller is sending to match the SSD5 CCs using Bomes/Midi ox/MidiPipe.
Old 7th August 2020
Gear Addict

Thanks for helping.

Quote:
What CCs is your external device sending?!
I have no idea. It's an AKAI MPK mini.

Works like a charm, if it doesn't come to CC.

Quote:

Does SSD5 have a control you can click for the hi hat?
If it does you can just control link it (so long as the midi control you want to assign it to is appearing in the external devices gui for that controller).

Use midi learn to bring the physical control up if it's not there.
That's the thing, I don't have a MIDI learn button..

The Youtube folks have it in the left upper corner of that EDIT window,
and I don't.

(see attachment)

SSD5 just says it has CC channel 1 and 4 for CC controllable hi-hat.

Quote:

If you can't click the hi hat control in SSD5 in order to control link it, then you'll have to translate the CCs your controller is sending to match the SSD5 CCs using Bomes/Midi ox/MidiPipe.

You maybe have a link to an explanation?

Thank you my friend.
Attached Thumbnails
S1: How do I assign CC control to the hi-hat in SSD5.5 ?-akai-mpk-edit-window.png  
Old 8th August 2020
Gear Addict

That's how it looks in that Youtube tutorial I found. (attachment)

MIDI learn button: check
CC control channels: check

I don't seem to have that.
Attached Thumbnails
S1: How do I assign CC control to the hi-hat in SSD5.5 ?-screenshot-yt-tutorial.png  
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

It's impossible to know exactly what's going on without going through every step with you - takes too much time.

Most people get into these situations because they don't read the documentation.

Have you fully read all the documentation relating to setting up external devices for your version of Studio One?

If you haven't, then go back and do that first, then if you're still having issues, come back and describe the exact steps you've been taking and at what point things diverge for you from what the manual says.

That way we don't have to guess what you have and haven't done that may be right/wrong.
Old 8th August 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Most people get into these situations because they don't read the documentation.
RTFM!

I did. And I'll do it again.

I found out today that the AKAI also has a setup software.

Anyway, thank you, Sir, I'll report.

Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteusz View Post
RTFM!
Lol!

You said it

Remember that you probably have to add it as both a keyboard and a control surface..
Old 9th August 2020
Gear Addict

Ok, did my reading.

2.Double-click on the desired device in the External panel to open the Device Control Map.
3.In the upper left corner of the Device Control Map window, click on the [MIDI Learn] button to enter MIDI Learn mode.

Right here I lose the plot.

As I showed in those pics, no MIDI LEARN, no CC.

Where's the sad smiley?! People don't need that around here?
Old 9th August 2020
Gear Addict

Aha!!!

Didn't get anywhere with the CC assign business, but I can automate a recorded CC controllable hi-hat now with that stick on the keyboard. That's progress!

Although it now plays random notes in between..

Like 16th between my recorded 8ths.

Another problem to solve.

Old 9th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post
Remember that you probably have to add it as both a keyboard and a control surface..
^^^
Old 9th August 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
I don't find that distinction in Studio One.

But since it nicely turns every other knob in S1, it should be seen as a control surface by the program.

I'll leave it like that for now.

Thanks for helping!!
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteusz View Post
I don't find that distinction in Studio One.
I wouldn't have dropped the clue twice if it wasn't a very important distinction in Studio One.

Read the manual. Again..
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
I wouldn't have dropped the clue twice if it wasn't a very important distinction in Studio One.

Read the manual. Again..
Ok, boss.

This time the pdf, not the one inside of S1.

Old 11th August 2020
Gear Addict

OK, I have ironed my hands as a punishment for only reading diagonally.

The Manual says:

Set Up MIDI Keyboards

A MIDI keyboard controller is a hardware MIDI device that is generally used for playing and controlling other MIDI devices, virtual software instruments, and software parameters. In Studio One, these devices are referred to asKeyboards.

Set Up Control Surfaces

In Studio One, a ControlSurface is a hardware device that includes transport controls, faders, and other specialized controls. The control surface might use MIDI directly or via a special control layer such as Mackie Control.

I'll try both and see if that helps with the random hi-hat notes.
Old 11th August 2020
Gear Addict

Does it make a difference as in how the CC signal looks to the SSD Drums?

I still don't get why this distinction is important..

Since I RTFM'ed, I found an option to set the rate of CCs, that sounds I like it could help with the hihat artifacts. But that's in the 3rd way to set up external devices.
As instruments.

Ah, if it was easy, everybody could do it.
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

I'm pretty sure you can't midi learn a device unless it's added as a control surface, that's why you need to do both
Old 12th August 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you can't midi learn a device unless it's added as a control surface, that's why you need to do both
Looks like it.

Sometimes I'm a little .... inert.

Well, thanks!

You have any idea where the random notes come from?

(It's simple straight 8ths of that CC controllable hihat note, and after automating them, I hear those random hits in between.)
Old 12th August 2020
Lives for gear

You haven't confirmed what state your setup is in at this point, so it would be pure guesswork which is what I'm trying to steer you away from.

Have you added the MPK as a control surface now? (it's an MPK Mini mkII by the way - it's important to be accurate when describing the gear you're using..).

Look, take a breath - you're chasing fixes for things caused by not having it set up right in the first place - using controls that only work under certain conditions and even when they do you're not sure why and it's with weird side effects etc.

You haven't said how you've recorded notes or what you're automating.

For anyone else reading, this is a master class in how not to ask for help.

It gets too messy too quickly - you need to understand the underlying issues before embarking on 'workarounds'.

What CCs is the joystick sending out?
Does it have any underlying functionality - what does it say about the stick in the MPK manual?
Have you installed the VIP Pro package and is it loaded with some kind of preset that might be affecting the stick?
Have you midi-learned the MPK Mini mkII so Studio One is translating all the CCs correctly? (this is the important part and can't be skipped).
Old 12th August 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
You haven't confirmed what state your setup is in at this point, so it would be pure guesswork which is what I'm trying to steer you away from.

Have you added the MPK as a control surface now?
Yes.

Quote:
You haven't said how you've recorded notes or what you're automating.
I have drawn a bunch of hihat 8ths, the cc controllable hihat, then recorded the automation.
EDIT: open/close of the hi hat that is.

Quote:
For anyone else reading, this is a master class in how not to ask for help.
You're a meanie. Where's the sad smiley?

But yes, I can do better than that.

Quote:
Does it have any underlying functionality - what does it say about the stick in the MPK manual?
Have you installed the VIP Pro package and is it loaded with some kind of preset that might be affecting the stick?
Have you midi-learned the MPK Mini mkII so Studio One is translating all the CCs correctly? (this is the important part and can't be skipped).
I will find out.

Thank you for your patience, I will pay it forward.
Old 13th August 2020
Gear Addict

Alright. New plan.

Since that little stick doesnt allow me any finer control, even if working flawlessly, I will try the same thing with my Faderport (Version 1).

I will learn about the MPK mini (mkII) though, before asking any silly questions about it, promise.

btw, let's be fair with me here, precision is necessary, but it doesn't say mkII anywhere on the device. I assume you concluded that from it having that stick?

Now off to my little studio and see how it goes!!
Old 13th August 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Oh.

I sends out a string of Controller Modulation figures.

And when I tilt it slightly to the side, some Pitch Bend figures in between.

Quote:
Noone that I know of. I factory reset it to be on the safe side.

Quote:
Yes. Works.

No skipping anywhere anymore.

Thanks.
Old 14th August 2020
Gear Addict

Now I'm on Sphere -> Studio One 5. Yea.

They lured me in with 4 free months.

And I fell for it.

I'm starting all over.

You're absolutely right with building stuff up properly from the ground.

Especially since I always forget what half-clever workaround I had..
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

You had it added as a keyboard and control surface with midi learn available in the end, no?
So you should be able to control link one of the encoders to the hi hat control if it has a clickable/moveable element in the SsD5 gui.

Ignore the joystick, it's an unnecessary complication.
Old 15th August 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
You had it added as a keyboard and control surface with midi learn available in the end, no?
Yes.

Quote:
So you should be able to control link one of the encoders to the hi hat control if it has a clickable/moveable element in the SsD5 gui.
Not in the SSD5.5 GUI, but via the automation track.

In SSD I haven't found such, it just says CC channel 1 and 4 are controlling the Hi-Hat.

If it's now all running smooth, I can tell when back at the Audio Laptop.

Old 15th August 2020
Gear Addict

Like that:
Attached Thumbnails
S1: How do I assign CC control to the hi-hat in SSD5.5 ?-foot-control.png  
Old 16th August 2020
Lives for gear

That screenshot is from the channel macro controls editor right?

So all you do is assign your hardware control to one of the macro control knobs and then add the hi-hat parameter to it.

It's that simple.
πŸ“ Reply