The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Uograde from 4.6... Sphere vs Studio One 5 Pro
Old 8th July 2020
  #1
Upgrade from 4.6... Sphere vs Studio One 5 Pro

The info isn't easy to find. Anyone has any thoughts as to what's the better deal? I've only got Studio One Pro few weeks ago and because of that Presonus is offering a free upgrade to 5 or 1 year of Sphere. Good on them as I'd be gutted otherwise having just spend the money.

How do Presonus instruments compare vs Komplete? Are there any effects in Sphere that don't come with SO 5? My main focus is instruments and effects. Should add instruments that sound like the real thing. I currently don't do electronic music so need actual sampled libraries. Thanks
Old 8th July 2020
  #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by insider9 View Post
The info isn't easy to find. Anyone has any thoughts as to what's the better deal? I've only got Studio One Pro few weeks ago and because of that Presonus is offering a free upgrade to 5 or 1 year of Sphere. Good on them as I'd be gutted otherwise having just spend the money.

How do Presonus instruments compare vs Komplete? Are there any effects in Sphere that don't come with SO 5? My main focus is instruments and effects. Should add instruments that sound like the real thing. I currently don't do electronic music so need actual sampled libraries. Thanks
If you got it a few weeks ago just upgrade for free to v5. What's the issue? Don't go on any bull**** Sphere rubbish. Electronic music/ What do you mean? Why would they kybosh stuff for good honest hard working EDM musicians?

In short. Upgrade if you have spare change/ money to burn. If not, don't.

Old 8th July 2020
  #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
Electronic music/ What do you mean? Why would they kybosh stuff for good honest hard working EDM musicians?

In short. Upgrade if you have spare change/ money to burn. If not, don't.

Thanks! I'm swaying that way anyway. Funds are tight but it would be a free upgrade.

I'm not dissing electronic music at all. Apologies if it came across like that. However, current project isn't like this and that's where my focus is at present. Nothing to say next project will be electronic.
Old 8th July 2020
  #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by insider9 View Post
Thanks! I'm swaying that way anyway. Funds are tight but it would be a free upgrade.

I'm not dissing electronic music at all. Apologies if it came across like that. However, current project isn't like this and that's where my focus is at present. Nothing to say next project will be electronic.
That's cool man. Just upgrade. Doesn't worry me, what you say. EDM music and EDM desktop midi jockeys can go plink plink plink as far as I'm concerned. Nothing to do with me. I'm not politically correct enough to give a **** what they or anyone else thinks about that.

There I said it.*

* Yay for everyone though, yay.

Old 8th July 2020
  #5
Gear Addict
 
eagle007's Avatar
In Sphere you get Studio One 5 Pro, Notation, the console shaper plugins, the fat channel expansions and a lot of loops and some additional stuff for Presence XT.

It also has 30Gb of cloud storage to store stems and projects for collaboration and to backup your S1 settings. The tutorial section is also include and apparently they will add more exclusive content in the future.

So all in all, it's a nice package deal. But, when they year is over, you will need to start paying monthly or renew per year. On the other hand, there will be payed upgrades after R5 as well. So I moved to Sphere. Just for convenience and to not think about missing out on Presonus stuff, as it's my goto DAW.
Old 8th July 2020
  #6
Notation is awesome. Everyone can pretend they're Mozart

Old 8th July 2020
  #7
Lives for gear
I did the sphere thing. For me, the fact that it still includes 5 licenses, 30GB cloud, a reasonable price for 100gb cloud and more integrated content all looks like it's at least giving them a year...


That all said, all the additional content failed to download last night. I'm going to try again when I get in the studio today...
Old 8th July 2020
  #8
I'm so old fashioned I am stunned the cloud thing is used at all

Call me grandpa from here on in
Old 8th July 2020
  #9
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
I'm so old fashioned I am stunned the cloud thing is used at all

Call me grandpa from here on in
To me, it might be much more useful in S1 than other daws for several reasons- 1) I can pretty easily let someone borrow one of my 5 S1 licenses. 2) With track transform it's pretty practical to get someone what they would need to record what they would need to do in there, and access from the cloud, and then transform back. And 3) I can keep all my custom macros, key commands, etc in there- which will be nice not to have to do that manually between my own systems...

None of that would be worth what Avid is wanting to charge for it, but for $165/yr for 5 licenses, added content and fx and the cloud It makes sense to me.
Old 8th July 2020
  #10
Gear Addict
 
eagle007's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
I'm so old fashioned I am stunned the cloud thing is used at all

Call me grandpa from here on in
I'm also not that fond of subscription models. But if you are using a piece of software on a daily basis, you'll probably end up buying all upgrades anyways. This is also kind of a subscription model.

But I find the Sphere reasonably priced for it's features. If it were more expensive, I would have chosen the upgrade path though.

And it's not that it's cloud based software. The license renews on a monthly basis.
Old 8th July 2020
  #11
Cheers guys! Interesting to see so many Sphere users. I'm still undecided. Kinda sucks that I just forked out on Pro licence where should I waited could've done a sub. But fair play to them for offering to upgrade for free. I guess I will wait a little and then go with what feels best.
Old 10th July 2020
  #12
Gear Addict
 

Sphere is not a free upgrade. You'll get it free for this year, then lose everything unless you pay another $200 next year. Presonus doesn't have enough good plugins or content to even consider it
Old 11th July 2020
  #13
Gear Addict
 

I chose to upgrade to V5 & am loving it so far!
Old 13th July 2020
  #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanM View Post
Sphere is not a free upgrade. You'll get it free for this year, then lose everything unless you pay another $200 next year. Presonus doesn't have enough good plugins or content to even consider it
Cheers for that. That was my concern. And the fact there isn't a comparison on the web so far is also making it difficult. Think you're right and having outright Studio One 5 outweighs Sphere for 1 year. Still haven't decided and i'm using 4.6 daily.
Old 12th August 2020
  #15
Gear Addict
 

I got S1 Artist 4 for free with my soundcard, now they say that gives me 4 months of Sphere, of course I'm gonna try that for free, and then they probably have me in the bag for life.

Sneaky little feckers.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 1943 views: 329073
Avatar for Will The Weirdo
Will The Weirdo 1st August 2015
replies: 83 views: 14268
Avatar for Highphi
Highphi 19th July 2013
replies: 4570 views: 273473
Avatar for studio460
studio460 20 minutes ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump