The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studio One 5.0 GUI & Fonts Suck Compared To Studio One 2.6
Old 8th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Studio One 5.0 GUI & Fonts Suck Compared To Studio One 2.6

Does Presonus Germany even read these forums... ?

Watch this video and see how development of Studio One has gone backwards and got worse...since version 2.6.

https://youtu.be/3x9EFmAdjMU
Old 8th July 2020
Gear Maniac

This video is way too shaky to watch, sorry. need screenshots or screengrabs

Studio One 4 looks good to me, has slight issues with contrast I agree, but overall very usable. Whats weird is it does look significantly better on Mac, I have absolutely no idea why.

Other than that, its worked well for me, stable on PC and mac. One 5 looks a little bit better with the redesigned plugins etc.
Old 9th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lossleader View Post
This video is way too shaky to watch, sorry. need screenshots or screengrabs

Studio One 4 looks good to me, has slight issues with contrast I agree, but overall very usable. Whats weird is it does look significantly better on Mac, I have absolutely no idea why.

Other than that, its worked well for me, stable on PC and mac. One 5 looks a little bit better with the redesigned plugins etc.
You do know you can pause the video, and btw he actually explains this verbally, multiple times.
Old 9th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottym View Post
Does Presonus Germany even read these forums... ?

Watch this video and see how development of Studio One has gone backwards and got worse...since version 2.6.

https://youtu.be/3x9EFmAdjMU
As someone who's never upgraded from 2.6 -- if it aint broke don't fix it -- I hear ya completely! I'll keep using it for simple audio projects. It breezes through those. It does suck for MIDI and S1 will always suck for MIDI cause Presonus doesn't really care about MIDI. But 2.6 was and is a really nice environment and stable as hell.
Old 9th July 2020
I always thought v2 looked smart. It was shocking at the time when they introduced the new look. But with the tweaks you can impart on appearance, you can get it looking not too bad. As for fonts...I dunno...I can read everything alright.
Old 9th July 2020
Lives for gear

OMG -- Did Studio One 5 just correct it's biggest historic flaw?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfdUtczw4rI

In other words, are things like volume and panning on external synths now controllable in the mixer like every other decent DAW has had forever?

I've vowed never to leave 2.6 and give Presonus another penny until they did this. Have they actually addressed this -- it's hard to tell from the video which states that MIDI and Audio occupy the same track (a neat and progressive trick, I concede!) but doesn't show if you can change volume, panning, etc. in the S1 mixer before committing to audio.

Anyone?
Old 9th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post

In other words, are things like volume and panning on external synths now controllable in the mixer like every other decent DAW has had forever?

I've vowed never to leave 2.6 and give Presonus another penny until they did this. Have they actually addressed this -- it's hard to tell from the video which states that MIDI and Audio occupy the same track (a neat and progressive trick, I concede!) but doesn't show if you can change volume, panning, etc. in the S1 mixer before committing to audio.

Anyone?
They have essentially fused the audio and midi channel together as one instead of being separate visually. It's really only a visual change although a physical one. The draw back is that you don't see the recorded material till you export the track, therefore you can't see if the audio and midi notes are in time as you record the notes in so you can avoid potential latency issues. So they give you one thing and take away with the other. Knowing that, they also implemented synchronisation which wasn't there in versions before, so syncro start and record as what has been in since the year 2001 with Reason is possible.

Otherwise one can use the metronome countdown and record and adjust the start position of the recorded material as per as how it's always been in S1.

You would still need to export the track and have it placed on the track to edit the audio wave file in a destructive manner, to have the same result as doing it the normal midi track and audio track way.
Old 9th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
They have essentially fused the audio and midi channel together as one instead of being separate visually. It's really only a visual change although a physical one. The draw back is that you don't see the recorded material till you export the track, therefore you can't see if the audio and midi notes are in time as you record the notes in so you can avoid potential latency issues. So they give you one thing and take away with the other. Knowing that, they also implemented synchronisation which wasn't there in versions before, so syncro start and record as what has been in since the year 2001 with Reason is possible.

Otherwise one can use the metronome countdown and record and adjust the start position of the recorded material as per as how it's always been in S1.

You would still need to export the track and have it placed on the track to edit the audio wave file in a destructive manner, to have the same result as doing it the normal midi track and audio track way.
Thanks for that, but let me be even more specific: I record a MIDI part on an external synth. I see the MIDI notes on the Arrange page. However, if I can't hear the part loud enough, or if it's too loud to see how it works with the existing tracks, the only way I can adjust the volume is on the synth itself. There has been no way to do that in the mixer up to S1 V5. Has this behavior changed in any way?

And I think by "export the track" you mean "bounce the track" to audio, right?
Old 9th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks for that, but let me be even more specific: I record a MIDI part on an external synth. I see the MIDI notes on the Arrange page. However, if I can't hear the part loud enough, or if it's too loud to see how it works with the existing tracks, the only way I can adjust the volume is on the synth itself. There has been no way to do that in the mixer up to S1 V5. Has this behavior changed in any way?

And I think by "export the track" you mean "bounce the track" to audio, right?
When you channel audio into Studio One from your synth through your audio interface, it comes in on it's own audio input channel which are the dark channel strips to the far left. Since version 4.5, they implemented a Gain control level which will raise or lower the volume of the external synth as required which negates the need for you to adjust the volume on the external synth if you want to leave it set at a certain level. With that you also have the channel volume control which is independent and of course the midi velocity as you know determines that side of the volume. You can bounce down as usual from the midi track to an audio track...., I've yet to investigate whether there are other options available however, but I'm sure that you can also create a Musicloop which you can then drag the recorded clip to the files tab of the browser so you can contain everything that way.

Does that help ?
Old 10th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
You do know you can pause the video, and btw he actually explains this verbally, multiple times.
i dont have time for that
Old 10th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
When you channel audio into Studio One from your synth through your audio interface, it comes in on it's own audio input channel which are the dark channel strips to the far left. Since version 4.5, they implemented a Gain control level which will raise or lower the volume of the external synth as required which negates the need for you to adjust the volume on the external synth if you want to leave it set at a certain level. With that you also have the channel volume control which is independent and of course the midi velocity as you know determines that side of the volume. You can bounce down as usual from the midi track to an audio track...., I've yet to investigate whether there are other options available however, but I'm sure that you can also create a Musicloop which you can then drag the recorded clip to the files tab of the browser so you can contain everything that way.

Does that help ?
I appreciate your response. Just one question: are you replying theoretically or from actual experience with your own hardware synth?
Old 10th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I appreciate your response. Just one question: are you replying theoretically or from actual experience with your own hardware synth?
I've got two hardware keyboard synthesizers hooked up to my own audio Focusrite Pro 14 interface, a Casio XW-G1 & P1 which I use with Studio One 4.6 Professional. Been with Studio One since 2.6 (2014) and all versions since but I'm holding off from Studio One 5 for the time being and that of wasting a trial period with it which I might otherwise want to use later in the year, or next. As for experience, I've been using keyboards since the age of 4, from the early 1980's, mid 1980's Casio SK1, but realistically speaking, since the early 1990's using midi synth keyboards and Amiga based computers hooked up to a few Yamaha type ones. Always preferred real synths rather than controllers... Spent many years using Octamed Sound Studio in the 1990's. Fun times. From 2001 I used Reason exclusively, for 13 years before moving to S1. I was able to customise so some of Studio One's interface using some inventive means of custom, made overlays. With S1 going Windows 10 exclusive , and dumping Windows 7, customising is compromised due to incompatibilities with the utility software that I used. So Studio One as it currently is, looks like a dogs dinner font wise.
Old 13th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

Anyone?
Afaik their biggest historic flaw is midi jitter/ innacuracies when recordin
Old 13th July 2020
Lives for gear

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleclockdivid View Post
Afaik their biggest historic flaw is midi jitter/ innacuracies when recordin
Haven't seen that ever with either external synths or VSTIs and I've done a bunch; then again, I've stuck with v2.6 because of my own #1 biggest historic flaw, so that may have shown up down the road or it could be something else in your system. I haven't been cruising the S1 forums, so I don't know if that's often reported. Of course, there's plenty of MIDI inadequacies compared to Logic/Cubase one could whine about but I'm done waiting for S1 to commit -- I thought for a moment V5 had addressed my longstanding lament, but no cigar . . .
Old 16th July 2020
Lives for gear
Downloaded v2.6 again after coming across this thread, out of curiosity as to whether I would prefer the old GUI. While I definitely don't miss it visually, I do agree about the track name setup being a bit annoying in comparison. I'm primarily a mixer though, so by the time a track gets to me, things have been consolidated to the point I can shorten the track names.

The whole highlighting all tracks in a group when selecting a grouped track was something I actually found annoying in v2. The edit options for manual multi-selecting and groups can be differentiated, so the new way makes more sense to me personally, but I also rarely use groups. I typically just rely on busses and multi-selecting in my own workflow.
Old 19th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

Anyone?
Yes! The newly introduced AUX channel is what you are looking for.

Gregor did a video regarding that topic!
https://youtu.be/JfdUtczw4rI
Old 19th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambosun View Post
Yes! The newly introduced AUX channel is what you are looking for.

Gregor did a video regarding that topic!
https://youtu.be/JfdUtczw4rI
Looks promising! I had some dialog on the S1 forum about this, which seemed to indicate it wasn't quite what I and others have been hoping for . . . but the video looks like maybe it actually does what I want -- I certainly see a volume fader and a pan slider on the AUX mix channel in the video.

So I'll download the demo and check it out and report back when I can.

Thanks for the heads-up!
Old 19th July 2020
Lives for gear

The UI in general has never been that great in S1. They really should focus on that given it is a top Answers request still. Custom color palette for tracks / clips, ability to change the contrast of those clips (way too translucent right now), etc. Enjoy the workflow...and go right back to Cubase / Logic after a couple of days.
Old 19th July 2020
Lives for gear

Um... v2.6 sucks as a daw compared to v5

What’s wrong with the world?
Old 19th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Um... v2.6 sucks as a daw compared to v5

What’s wrong with the world?
Well, you could have v1 or v10, and it wouldn't matter, cause your material is a lot better than your mixes.

It's about the ears, not the versions. But you're welcome to your delusion that a newer version makes your product better.
Old 19th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, you could have v1 or v10, and it wouldn't matter, cause your material is a lot better than your mixes.

It's about the ears, not the versions. But you're welcome to your delusion that a newer version makes your product better.
The daw is much better with way way more features than it was 4 years ago... the gui thing is a strange complaint... Make it black and gray if you if want
Old 19th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
The daw is much better with way way more features than it was 4 years ago... the gui thing is a strange complaint... Make it black and gray if you if want
Please provide one example of one of those way more features that made of a song you recorded any better and why it wouldn't have been as good without it.

btw, I'm not trying to talk you out of liking the looks of v5. You're trying to talk me out of liking the looks of 2.6.
Old 19th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Please provide one example of one of those way more features that made of a song you recorded any better and why it wouldn't have been as good without it.

btw, I'm not trying to talk you out of liking the looks of v5. You're trying to talk me out of liking the looks of 2.6.
That’s not how this works... defend YOUR premise.

Please explain to the word how a GUI of fonts makes any difference to YOUR output...

I’m just pointing out empiric fact... The product had tons more features now than it did in v2.6... you’re the one getting butt hurt and personal...

Also, please share your demo work!
Old 19th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Looks promising! I had some dialog on the S1 forum about this, which seemed to indicate it wasn't quite what I and others have been hoping for . . . but the video looks like maybe it actually does what I want -- I certainly see a volume fader and a pan slider on the AUX mix channel in the video.

So I'll download the demo and check it out and report back when I can.

Thanks for the heads-up!
... yah... check out the demo before going on about the current state of the product... it’s pretty robust
Old 19th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
That’s not how this works... defend YOUR premise.

Please explain to the word how a GUI of fonts makes any difference to YOUR output...

I’m just pointing out empiric fact... The product had tons more features now than it did in v2.6... you’re the one getting butt hurt and personal...

Also, please share your demo work!
I'd be happy to, except what I'm sharing isn't demo work, it's finished as in pro mixed and mastered, unlike yours:

https://themilkmen.space/songlab-2018

btw I think you're a better singer than me, but I sound like I'm a better singer than you, despite my huge handicap of working in 2.6 vs the much more capable later version you're so ga-ga about. And I also think some of your material is as good as mine, but it doesn't sound as good as mine. A lot of that would be because I care a lot more about getting where I want to go than the hardware or the software I get there with.

I personally don't give a f**k if you'd prefer to focus on features over sonics, everyone gets freedom of choice . . .

Excuse me, but I have to get back to my prehistoric software. I've got meaningful tracks to record.
Old 19th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'd be happy to, except what I'm sharing isn't demo work, it's finished as in pro mixed and mastered, unlike yours:

https://themilkmen.space/songlab-2018

btw I think you're a better singer than me, but I sound like I'm a better singer than you, despite my huge handicap of working in 2.6 vs the much more capable later version you're so ga-ga about. And I also think some of your material is as good as mine, but it doesn't sound as good as mine. A lot of that would be because I care a lot more about getting where I want to go than the hardware or the software I get there with.

I personally don't give a f**k if you'd prefer to focus on features over sonics, everyone gets freedom of choice . . .

Excuse me, but I have to get back to my prehistoric software. I've got meaningful tracks to record.
Ahh... I see. So, in other words... you’ve got nothing. Thanks for playing!
Old 20th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ahh... I see. So, in other words... you’ve got nothing. Thanks for playing!
Good attempt at denial. That's 23 songs I provided. While you provided not one example of how additional features helped one of your songs. If you ever work around any pros, you'll notice they're a lot slower to switch versions than amateurs. But you're right about one thing -- the game is over. Great playing with you.
Old 20th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Good attempt at denial. That's 23 songs I provided. While you provided not one example of how additional features helped one of your songs. If you ever work around any pros, you'll notice they're a lot slower to switch versions than amateurs. But you're right about one thing -- the game is over. Great playing with you.
All of your name calling and deflection aside, it’s still on you to explain how fonts and a GUI impact production.

Also... work around lots of pros... don’t know what you’re talking about with keeping a 5 year old version of a pretty new DAW that isn’t nearly done being fleshed out...

But, again... good deflection!

How do fonts and GUI impact your production?

Also, why does this upset you to the point where you need to attack another user personally? It’s so childish... certainly not the behavior of a professional
📝 Reply