The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studio One Pro 5 dropping soon?
Old 9th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
Depends what kind of music you're doing I suppose. Who can read music?? lol
Right on! Humanity should have discarded the note system in favor of a MIDI piano roll . No turning pages for a symphony orchestra, just a bunch of scrolls in slow motion the players read . Maybe foot pedals could power the scroll rollers

Well we know Presonus doesn't wait for a numerical change to add lots of new things, so I'll jump on board Black Friday if possible.
Old 9th July 2020
Lives for gear
Still no surround support...yet another year of being stuck in the Avid ecosystem...FML
Old 9th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by herewardcarringt View Post
Did anyone manage an activation via Sphere? I haven't been able to activate Studio One 5 for a day now (Notion went fine). Absolutely the worst product release Presonus ever had. I am totally disappointed with such a screwed up launch.
I did. Decided to check it out today and everything went smoothly.
Old 9th July 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofolk View Post
I did. Decided to check it out today and everything went smoothly.
Thanks. In my case, day two still no activation possible, no response from support.
Old 9th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnBoy View Post
Still no surround support...yet another year of being stuck in the Avid ecosystem...FML

Sounds like this is a feature that would help them prove that they are a system that the pros could use.
Old 9th July 2020
I have a project open in SO5...a single acoustic guitar track. Every time I activate the stock eq or the comp or whatever....just toggling the activate button on those plugs cause little click type sounds in playback. This kind of behaviour I used to see on full song projects with lots of tracks and plugs etc.

But I only have a single track!

Never happened in v4.

Something's up there.

EDIT: To be fair I just tested the theory back in v4 and it does happen...but not every single time you toggle activate on the plugin. In v5 it does it every time.

Anyway, it's probably nothing to worry about.
Old 9th July 2020
Gear Nut

I experience the very same issue here in S1 V5.
Never happened in V4.
Very annoying .. could be a dealbreaker for me.

Maybe the issue is related to S1 buffer setting and/or dropout protection setting.
(sorry:i have to test that).

Studio One v5.00.
OSX 10.15.5
UAD Apollo Twin Duo - thunderbolt 2.
Old 9th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
I experience the very same issue here in S1 V5.
Never happened in V4.
Very annoying .. could be a dealbreaker for me.

Maybe the issue is related to S1 buffer setting and/or dropout protection setting.
(sorry:i have to test that).

Studio One v5.00.
OSX 10.15.5
UAD Apollo Twin Duo - thunderbolt 2.
I tested v4 again and the same thing does actually happen...though in v5 I noticed it more.

As far as I imagine, I can't see how one track of guitar with one stock compressor plugin could be seen to cause slight little click sounds just for toggling the plugin on and off.

I can see it happening in a 30 track heavy project...but a single guitar track with a single plugin?

A bit odd
Old 9th July 2020
I'll add to what I said earlier that trying a couple of 3rd party plugins....when I toggle the 3rd party plugin on and off there's no faint click whatsoever. The stock SO plugs however, do seem to do the little click...like a fast ripping sound when toggling the plugin on/ off.

Even removing the stock plugin from the track causes the little click/ ripping sound. Removing the 3rd party plugin does not.

Even hitting the stop button on the transport can at times cause a tiny little click/ ripping sound.

Odd

I'd say Presonus have a little problem there.
Old 9th July 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
I'll add to what I said earlier that trying a couple of 3rd party plugins....when I toggle the 3rd party plugin on and off there's no faint click whatsoever. The stock SO plugs however, do seem to do the little click...like a fast ripping sound when toggling the plugin on/ off.

Even removing the stock plugin from the track causes the little click/ ripping sound. Removing the 3rd party plugin does not.

Even hitting the stop button on the transport can at times cause a tiny little click/ ripping sound.

Odd

I'd say Presonus have a little problem there.
Maybe you could do a live chatsession with the helpdesk, the quickest way to maybe solve it or otherwise they report it and hopefully quickly come with an update?
Old 9th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by willem1958 View Post
Maybe you could do a live chatsession with the helpdesk, the quickest way to maybe solve it or otherwise they report it and hopefully quickly come with an update?
That sounds very high tech. And you know what...I am pretty sure I just ignored this behaviour of the stock plugs in v4. Maybe I'm the only one in the world it happens to.
Old 9th July 2020
Gear Addict

I'm sorry, i was wrong, Novation has a livechat Presonus does not.
Old 9th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by willem1958 View Post
I'm sorry, i was wrong, Novation has a livechat Presonus does not.
No worries dude!

Old 9th July 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmission View Post
Sounds like this is a feature that would help them prove that they are a system that the pros could use.
It really would. As a pro who uses it himself, I must say it is in every other way the best DAW out there in my humble opinion. It makes ProTools feel like a complete dinosaur in terms of workflow and usability.

The only reason I bemoan the lack of multi-channel formats, is because I realllly am pulling for them to grab more market share, and begin to chip away at the deep entrenchment Avid has in the audio-post world.
Old 9th July 2020
Lives for gear

@ hello people - that sounds unpleasant.

Can you confirm (bit of work here, sorry!) that if you automate the toggling of those stock plugins on/off, do those 'ripping' noises still happen?
More importantly, do they become embedded in the audio stream when you render?

That would be good to know.

Btw, I have a 150 track project here, as in ~220 channels of audio, with an instance of Console 1 on every track/channel, loads of 3rd party UAD, Softube, IK etc plugs and that noise doesn't happen.

I haven't noticed it on stock plugs but tbh I don't use them enough that it has ever been a noticeable issue.

@ JonnBoy - you will have to accept that (fortunately for you!) you are in a minority group that has to have surround mixing.
Please don't confuse 'minority group' with meaning 'unimportant' or 'insignificant', it purely means that in terms of the overall consumer market, you guys are still quite niche in terms of the percentage of you compared to the overall market share of daw users!

That means you will prob have to wait a bit longer until the product is well-rounded enough for the bulk of users and they can concentrate on you without leaving holes in other areas - and concentrate on you they will I am sure, because it's quite clear that they are going after the entire market - every update so far has had little tidbits for PT users wanting to switch, so they are very aware of the potential there.
Old 9th July 2020
I'll get back to you Quetz. But in short...no does not render/ imbed in rendered audio...not sure if it happens when automating. I know it does happen when I click the on/ off switch on the plugins...or even if I right click the plugin and remove it. I could do a video of it...but slim chance of that as I dunno how to do that.
Old 9th July 2020
Wonder if there is a volume difference. Possible to change the output slightly, and lessen or increase the click?
Old 9th July 2020
Not sure about that...not really. It's just a slight tearing/ ripping little kind of sound when activating or turning off a stock plug...or when removing it. This is when audio is playing. 3rd party plugins do NOT do it. Only the stock plugs. It could be peculiar to my rig, who knows.
Old 10th July 2020
Ah, ok. I didn't realize that it was playing when you hear it. I thought you were hearing it at idle.
Old 10th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmission View Post
Ah, ok. I didn't realize that it was playing when you hear it. I thought you were hearing it at idle.
Well I'd have to check again, sorry dude.

When I get back from breaking rocks I'll check it out.

Old 13th July 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post
@ hello people - that sounds unpleasant.

Can you confirm (bit of work here, sorry!) that if you automate the toggling of those stock plugins on/off, do those 'ripping' noises still happen?
More importantly, do they become embedded in the audio stream when you render?

That would be good to know.

Btw, I have a 150 track project here, as in ~220 channels of audio, with an instance of Console 1 on every track/channel, loads of 3rd party UAD, Softube, IK etc plugs and that noise doesn't happen.

I haven't noticed it on stock plugs but tbh I don't use them enough that it has ever been a noticeable issue.

@ JonnBoy - you will have to accept that (fortunately for you!) you are in a minority group that has to have surround mixing.
Please don't confuse 'minority group' with meaning 'unimportant' or 'insignificant', it purely means that in terms of the overall consumer market, you guys are still quite niche in terms of the percentage of you compared to the overall market share of daw users!

That means you will prob have to wait a bit longer until the product is well-rounded enough for the bulk of users and they can concentrate on you without leaving holes in other areas - and concentrate on you they will I am sure, because it's quite clear that they are going after the entire market - every update so far has had little tidbits for PT users wanting to switch, so they are very aware of the potential there.
I've mixed in Studio One pretty much full time since version 2, with the exception being when required to deliver a 5.1/7.1 upmix.

I fully grasp why it hasn't been prioritized, but I also have been part of the S1 feature request forum for some time, and watched it remain one of the most requested and upvoted features yet to be addressed in any way. I just continue to complain and vocalize the want/need for surround support wherever I suspect the team at PreSonus is reading, because the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and PreSonus really does listen to it's users. So, I complain a little here, a little there, and just maybe, I'll have it by version 5.5 or 6. Fingers crossed.

I would argue that S1 is as well rounded a DAW as anything on the market, and that it is well beyond time for this to be available. I believe there are more individuals than PreSonus may even realize, whom don't give S1 a second glance, because lack of multichannel support makes it a non-starter.
Old 22nd July 2020
Here for the gear

The click you guys hear when you turn plugin on or off is because of latency. That plugin introduces latency and that's why you hear a click. With those that are zero latency, you won't hear anything.

I tried with Saturn. With HQ disabled, it doesn't make a click. With HQ enabled it introduces 0.1ms and when you turn it off, you hear a click.
Old 23rd July 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnBoy View Post
I've mixed in Studio One pretty much full time since version 2, with the exception being when required to deliver a 5.1/7.1 upmix.

I fully grasp why it hasn't been prioritized, but I also have been part of the S1 feature request forum for some time, and watched it remain one of the most requested and upvoted features yet to be addressed in any way. I just continue to complain and vocalize the want/need for surround support wherever I suspect the team at PreSonus is reading, because the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and PreSonus really does listen to it's users. So, I complain a little here, a little there, and just maybe, I'll have it by version 5.5 or 6. Fingers crossed.

I would argue that S1 is as well rounded a DAW as anything on the market, and that it is well beyond time for this to be available. I believe there are more individuals than PreSonus may even realize, whom don't give S1 a second glance, because lack of multichannel support makes it a non-starter.
With some other Studio One users we asked for MPE a few years, now it's finally supported.
I agree with you that some things take a long time and lets hope for you that the next update there will be surround support.
📝 Reply