The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Aux sends - on [FX] channels
Old 9th June 2020
Aux sends - on [FX] channels

In PT's -AUX channels are normally used as [Effects Returns] in your mix. Various reverbs, delays, etc, etc.

In S1. You can add an FX channel. Great same as PT's. However in PT's an Aux channel - ALSO - has Aux sends. I.E. You want the output of a reverb to also send to a delay.

In S1 - There seems to be no way to add [Aux Sends]. How would I do this??

Here is the problem, besides the one listed above. I'm setting up individual cue mixes for 3 musicians. On the regular audio channels no problem, Just add 3 [pre-sends] to each audio channel. now HOWEVER, the singer wants some of the echo in his cans and the drummer wants some of the Non-Lin reverb in his. HOW can I set this up on the FX return channels in S1.

Thanks in advance.
http://summitrecordingsolutions.com
Old 9th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Obvious View Post
In PT's -AUX channels are normally used as [Effects Returns] in your mix. Various reverbs, delays, etc, etc.

In S1. You can add an FX channel. Great same as PT's. However in PT's an Aux channel - ALSO - has Aux sends. I.E. You want the output of a reverb to also send to a delay.

Here is the problem, besides the one listed above. I'm setting up individual cue mixes for 3 musicians. On the regular audio channels no problem, Just add 3 [pre-sends] to each audio channel. now HOWEVER, the singer wants some of the echo in his cans and the drummer wants some of the Non-Lin reverb in his. HOW can I set this up on the FX return channels in S1.

Thanks in advance.
You may have seen this already, and not sure its what you're even looking for, but maybe, just bumping this back to the top of the post/list someone may have a clue,,,? I seen a couple so called work arounds But I thought you may be missing this feature that is kind of hidden. I cant get to my studio for awhile, or I'd have a looksee. Anyway I know times not on your side here and noones chimed in.

https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopi...865f590e1b807b
Old 12th June 2020
Hello Rick,

thanks for the info. I will check it out tonight.

YES - sometimes I think that the Studio 1 software designers have never, ever seen are real recording or live console. It took until V4 for them to adjust the metering to be able to show > "Tape" playback level, not post fader. Didn't they ever check out what the VU meters on every console were looking at!

And then now in V4 still having FX channels with no ?easy? send to an Aux/FX.

These have been standard in consoles, since at least the mid 1960's.

Thanks again

Last edited by Ron Obvious; 13th June 2020 at 07:15 AM..
Old 12th June 2020
Well I checked out the 'solution' over on their website.

Said I should just click and drag the bar, just above the fader. On my V4.6.0 - free version, it just makes all the faders get larger or smaller. I don't see any [sends-area] appear.

Could someone tell me if it actually works on a "paid" version of the software.

Am I doing something wrong?
Old 15th June 2020
In order to show inputs and outputs, I have to drag the top of the whole mixer window up. Essentially, it's the border of the mixer, and the edit window. If you grab it at that spot,Mitch doesn't make the faders bigger, but expands the area above the faders.

Last edited by xmission; 15th June 2020 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: pad typing sux
Old 15th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hello Rick,

thanks for the info. I will check it out tonight.

YES - sometimes I think that the Studio 1 software designers have never, ever seen are real recording or live console. It took until V4 for them to adjust the metering to be able to show > "Tape" playback level, not post fader. Didn't they ever check out what the VU meters on every console were looking at!

And then now in V4 still having FX channels with no ?easy? send to an Aux/FX.

These have been standard in consoles, since at least the mid 1960's.

Thanks again
I think this is a very harsh thing to say about a group of designers who came up with and to continue to develop an awesome DAW, have you considered that perhaps you are thinking too much along the lines of the old analog console way of working, and not forward-thinking enough or learning the software?

Use busses for what you want to do, done.

I actually like that there are busses and FX tracks whilst we are at it (I didn't at first but I started using them and realized a few things). You can separate buses and FX in the console view, so busses can be placed wherever but FX are always on the right of the console, or not.

Then there is the routing capabilities within S1. Within any plugin window, you can go into the routing page and setup elaborate arrangements of plugins with the splitter making parallel paths. So a delay into a reverb, or reverb in to delay no problem. See the attached photo...
Attached Thumbnails
Aux sends - on [FX] channels-screenshot-2020-06-15-20.22.54.png  
Old 15th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron View Post
I think this is a very harsh thing to say about a group of designers who came up with and to continue to develop an awesome DAW, have you considered that perhaps you are thinking too much along the lines of the old analog console way of working, and not forward-thinking enough or learning the software?

Use busses for what you want to do, done.

I actually like that there are busses and FX tracks whilst we are at it (I didn't at first but I started using them and realized a few things). You can separate buses and FX in the console view, so busses can be placed wherever but FX are always on the right of the console, or not.

Then there is the routing capabilities within S1. Within any plugin window, you can go into the routing page and setup elaborate arrangements of plugins with the splitter making parallel paths. So a delay into a reverb, or reverb in to delay no problem. See the attached photo...
Chevron, I got a chance to run over to my studio last night and mess with this "So called hiden feature) and correct me if Im wrong, but the only way I found it to work, was to add an FX or Buss channel before this feature revels anything, as it is otherwise empty. Also its not a click and drag up,,, its just a click, (on say the "Main" out), then theirs a drop down menu, IF its occupied, if not occupied, No drop down menu. I'm I right?
Thanks
Old 15th June 2020
Hello Chevron,

Been in this industry since 1976, I can work any Neve, SSL 4k, 9K, Behr x18 or M32 - blindfolded. Have used PT's since V1.2

So I stand by my comments. Note, you used the term "designers". I.E. possibly have never seen a real console. Interesting you noted that FX returns show up on the right. I.E. just like you would have on a real console - since the 1960's. My original comment still stands. As how come in V4 they still haven't implemented [sends] on FX tracks.

Anyway, it appears that there is no "CORRECT" solution at this time. The only way you can(?) setup [FX] channels, to musicians, with individual can's mixes (effects). Is to do a very strange work around.

At least in V4 they [finally] got the metering corrected.

Done & Dusted for now.

Last edited by Ron Obvious; 17th June 2020 at 06:17 AM..
Old 16th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dalton View Post
Chevron, I got a chance to run over to my studio last night and mess with this "So called hiden feature) and correct me if Im wrong, but the only way I found it to work, was to add an FX or Buss channel before this feature revels anything, as it is otherwise empty. Also its not a click and drag up,,, its just a click, (on say the "Main" out), then theirs a drop down menu, IF its occupied, if not occupied, No drop down menu. I'm I right?
Thanks
Sorry Rick, I am not sure what feature you mean. Can you elaborate? I am still fresh to S1 so I may not know what it is you are looking for..
Old 16th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hello Chevron,

Been in this industry since 1976, I can work any Neve, or SSL 4k, 9K, blindfolded. Have used PT's since V1.2

So I stand by my comments. Note, you used the term "designers". I.E. possibly have never seen a real console. Interesting you noted that FX returns show up on the right. I.E. just like you would have on a real console - since the 1960's. My original comment still stands. As how come in V4 they still haven't implemented [sends] on FX tracks.

Anyway, it appears that there is no "CORRECT" solution at this time. The only way you can(?) setup [FX] channels, to musicians, with individual can's mixes (effects). Is to do a very strange work around.

At least in V4 they [finally] got the metering corrected.

Done & Dusted for now.
My apologies I didn't mean to be as critical as I was, I just meant to say that I have been where you sound like you are on quite a few things to do with S1 and questioning it's logic, - and on all of them I have found once I fully understand and take a fresh look (often pointed out to me by people on FB groups, forums) the penny drops - and I have had many moments when I go from these ****ers don't know what they are doing, to ahhh my bad this is some clever software design here and I get it...

For example, the Bend Markers having the blue field to the left of them and appearing to quantize audio in a random way - which I later learned was Bend Markers for quantise, beginning of blue area for slicing to samplers, new events etc. and it works pretty damn well.

The same with FX channels, if for one moment you totally ignore them. Bus channels do everything you want and work as we all know from other DAWs. You then have the bonus of FX channels which gives you more flexibility within the mixer.

I think maybe people are referring to the box on a track where you can route any track or channel to anywhere else. (this may not be in the free version).

So you can send all your drums to a drum Buss channel, then send your snare via a Send to an FX channel, the FX channel in turn, can then be routed back to the drum Buss...
Old 16th June 2020
Quote:
So you can send all your drums to a drum Buss channel, then send your snare via a Send to an FX channel, the FX channel in turn, can then be routed back to the drum Buss...
This.

Can't you just make bus1, and not route anything to it at the output of any track, go up to the sends in the tracks you want to use effects on that bus, and add it?

Then make bus2, and do the same thing, except use the send or output from bus 1.

Basically just pretend busses are FX tracks.

Wouldn't that work essentially the same way?
Old 16th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry Rick, I am not sure what feature you mean. Can you elaborate? I am still fresh to S1 so I may not know what it is you are looking for..
That OK apparently you just skimmed over this thread, or you'd not need to ask.
Old 16th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dalton View Post
That OK apparently you just skimmed over this thread, or you'd not need to ask.
Well you were replying to my post that didn't mention the feature, so just wanted to be sure. I also mentioned it when replying to Ron Obvious (or what I think it may be), which you would have seen if you hadn't skimmed over
Old 16th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well you were replying to my post that didn't mention the feature, so just wanted to be sure. I also mentioned it when replying to Ron Obvious (or what I think it may be), which you would have seen if you hadn't skimmed over
I'm the one that originally started trying to help Ron Obvious, and linking to some of the info, as with the hidden feature above the fader, that some talk about, in the link and one or two talk about this feature in this thread. Ron cant find it, he's using S1 v4 and I haven't found it, I'm using an older version S1 v3.
From what some say its a line/boarder above the pan on each channel, another allows it is the boarder between the mixer and the edit window, but they all allow that you put the pointer on this boarder click and hold and drag upward, and a hidden window will expand, showing I/O,s and such. I'm not finding it, Ron hasn't, so have you?

Here's a link about it, plus someone mentions in this thread, how to use/find it.

https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopi...865f590e1b807b
Old 17th June 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmission View Post
This.
Did you guys try this routed into a personal-mix headphone system though? (Or I guess try it with actual headphone mixes?) I'm still pretty new to S1, and agree Chevron that with many parts of it I just have to wrap my head around the S1 way of doing things, so good chance I still haven't figured it out yet...

In any case, the issue that I ran into in terms of routing a bus into a personal headphone system, is the ZLM system. You have to go to the outputs and turn on the Z for each output, but also the Z won't be there unless it's setup as a cuemix output. Then I think you can Turn off the ZLM by setting the playback buffer low enough and the host buffer high enough, but you use the CPU advantage of the dual buffer.

But there is a 95% chance I still haven't understood the way to set this up. From what I've played with the big issue is Latency. It seems that the core design for cue mixes in S1 is to route them directly from each track, which excludes busses.
Old 17th June 2020
Unfortunately I can't try it. I monitor through my RME stuff without going through S1 for the tracks that are being recorded.

I hardly ever throw an effect on a live track, but I can do it with my antelope stuff if I needed to, again without going through S1.

Sorry I couldn't test it for you.
Old 17th June 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmission View Post
Unfortunately I can't try it. I monitor through my RME stuff without going through S1 for the tracks that are being recorded.

I hardly ever throw an effect on a live track, but I can do it with my antelope stuff if I needed to, again without going through S1.

Sorry I couldn't test it for you.
No worries.

This is probably extra daft, but I'm going to be setting up a DAL livemix with the option at least to do all the headphone mixing in there, so like you do with the RME, not needing any monitoring through the daw to feed the musos.

My question is- Did you figure out a way to have it so you can hear through S1 in the control room, but the 2bus feed that goes to the musicians mutes on record? This way the whole band can punch...

IE I want input monitoring in the CR so I'm hearing it with all plugins etc, but that feed needs to get muted into the headphones so they only hear the direct monitoring.

I'm playing with mutomatic, which when loaded as a VST3 has the option of "mute only during record". Using this when loaded on the output channels of the mixer seems to work, but I'm not figuring out how to get the 'main' routed to a 2nd output (the one that would feed the headphone system).

I'm curious what people are doing here at least. Thanks
Old 17th June 2020
It'd be a pita until you got it figured out, but I think you could add busses for your headphone feeds, feed them from the sends on the tracks that you want the cans to hear, and then use a vca to automate a mute on those busses when the punch happens or just click it with your mouse. You could probably make a template with all of this set up, and then unhide/enable when you are ready.

This shouldn't affect your 2 buss.

I don't really punch that way anymore, because I don't really do bands, mostly one track at a time.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by xmission; 17th June 2020 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: My splainin and typin sux
Old 19th June 2020
Lives for gear

Hi Ryan,
The thing I always recommend (usually to PT users) is to never use the main out as a final mix destination, create a bus instead that you use as an 'aux master', and route that to your control room outs.
So your mix bus is now an actual bus and the main outs get nothing.

You can now send the signal prefader from this aux master/mix bus to either another bus or to the main out, and use that new out to feed the band.

You can now mute the muso feed without disturbing your control room signal.

To trigger record and that new bus/main mute at the same time, not sure..
Maybe that plugin can handle that bit.
Old 21st June 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post
Hi Ryan,
The thing I always recommend (usually to PT users) is to never use the main out as a final mix destination, create a bus instead that you use as an 'aux master', and route that to your control room outs.
So your mix bus is now an actual bus and the main outs get nothing.
Thanks man-

Yeah, Ironically in PT I never used the master fader on the 1-2 out, I'll play with that.

Yeah with mutomatic, it can mute on stop, play or record. In general that would be pretty easy to setup for a whole band. Route everything to two busses, put mutomatic on one, and route it to the headphones.

Playing with it I think it works with 2 busses, and the main. The main is just routed normally to the CR and for the fx busses you have one "unarmed tracks" bus that doesn't have muting and one "armed track" bus that does. With both of those busses routed to the headphone feed.
Old 21st June 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Just realized the easy solution-

Instead of using FX channels for your verb and delay returns in S1, use bus channels. The bus channels have aux sends.
Old 21st June 2020
Lives for gear

Also, for those talking about the 'hidden feature', if there are channel strip elements that you can't see/access, it's probably because you don't have them checked in the console settings.

Click the spanner/wrench icon to the left of the console.
You'll see a list of check boxes for locking fx/bus/vca channels to the right, and below those, visibility settings, then finally 'Channel Components'.
The channel components control which features appear in the console strips.

They are 'Input controls' (input gain and polarity), sends/cues, routing/I/O, group assignment, vca assignment and notes.

When checked, the group/vca assignments and notes are always visible in fields towards the bottom of each strip, no matter the size of the mixer/console.
The I/O connections and input gain/polarity though appear at the top of each strip, and only appear when the console is dragged up vertically beyond a certain height.

If you can't see the input controls and routing then you've either not checked those component boxes or you haven't dragged the mixer high enough, or both!
Old 26th July 2020
Thread has gone a long while with a number of people indicating about “hidden” features. However none address the my original issue of no AUX sends in EFX channels. No screen shot has been provided.

So S5 has just been released. Has this now been addressed, as in forever in PT’s, Logic, etc?

Thanks in advance.
Old 26th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thread has gone a long while with a number of people indicating about “hidden” features. However none address the my original issue of no AUX sends in EFX channels. No screen shot has been provided.

So S5 has just been released. Has this now been addressed, as in forever in PT’s, Logic, etc?

Thanks in advance.
As mentioned before, do using bus channels exclusively not meet your requirements?
Old 26th July 2020
Lives for gear

Exactamundo.
Just use a bus channel type instead of FX.
There's no law that says you have to insert fx on an fx channel.
Old 5th August 2020
Gear Addict

On v5 I was confused for few days, there`s a mix up of terms.
Aux has a diff term and usage vs PT.

A fx chan has insert/send & operates that way.
Both sit over the row of the fader display, may have to be expanded
via mouse or the little symbols at the bottom half of mixer
(hovering over them indicates what is doing what).

However, it`s v5 though I can refer to.

Last edited by omkar; 5th August 2020 at 02:24 AM.. Reason: correction
Old 5th August 2020
Gear Addict

"FX Channel" and "Bus" are very nearly the same thing, with some obvious exceptions, plus the above noted lack of sends on FX Channels.

Here the Bus 1 is being treated like an FX channel, it has a reverb on it, and it is sending to another FX channel, which has a delay on that.
Attached Thumbnails
Aux sends - on [FX] channels-delay-into-verb.jpg  
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
It can always be really frustrating when using a daw that has different vocabulary and functionality to the one you're most used to.
We can't expect everything to be the same, nor should we want that as it means stagnation.
If you buy a new oven whose door opens downwards instead of sideways, you don't look at it as inferior, you look at it as 'different'.
It still does exactly the same job, no better, no worse, just different.

S1 is not the same as PT.
You do things differently and some things are called different names. Some things have the same name but do different things.
It's like learning another language (false friends).
If you don't want to learn a new language then stick with the one you already speak!

1. People keep trying to tell you that if you want a channel with FX on it that can send to another channel, just use a bus channel.
It's really that simple.
You're going to name it what you want so it doesn't matter what little icon the channel has, it's irrelevant.
'FX' is just an insert. It doesn't have any special connotation in comparison to other inserts, other than the artificial one in your mind.

An Aux send is not an fx return that you can send from, whether that's a feature that PT has or not, so your terminology is wrong.
As far as I'm aware analogue consoles do not as a rule have sends on aux/fx return channels.
An aux send is a feed from an audio channel to an aux output, that loops through whatever and reappears on an aux/fx return.

If you want to send from a delay for example to a reverb, then use a bus to host the first effect.
If you want the routing to dead-end at the reverb then use an FX channel for the reverb.
If you want to send on from the reverb, then use a bus to host the reverb too.

Just because a channel type is called 'bus' doesn't mean that's all you're allowed to or should use it for.
The different channel types could just be called 'Type A', 'Type B' etc, it just doesn't matter in a daw.

In terms of cues, S1 has dedicated cue mixes, you don't need to use normal sends to set cues up.
Just go to Song setup in Options/Prefs and under the Outputs tab, there are little empty boxes to the right of all the stereo outputs.
If you tick these then a cue mix destination is created for it.

Back in the Console/Inspector, you'll see the cue mix controls beneath the Send controls for every channel that can send that cue (see the image in the post below).

You can lock the cue to the same pan and level settings of the channel it's activated on or set it independently.
You can enable/disable the cue separately for each channel.

There is a limitation here, in that these dedicated cues don't appear for channels labelled 'bus' or 'FX', therefore if you want to send an effect to an artist from a channel that doesn't have dedicated cues, you would set it up as you described in the quote, using a send from the channel hosting that effect (which would need to be a bus type as we've established) to the designated cue output.
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by omkar View Post
On v5 I was confused for few days, there`s a mix up of terms.
Aux has a diff term and usage vs PT.

A fx chan has insert/send & operates that way.
Both sit over the row of the fader display, may have to be expanded
via mouse or the little symbols at the bottom half of mixer
(hovering over them indicates what is doing what).
Not quite.

All channels have the little block of 3 bars that you're talking about, just to the right of the top of the fader travel (circled, see image), but the elements those blocks represent are not available for all channel types.

The top bar shows if inserts are loaded, the middle bar shows if there are sends and the bottom bar shows if there is Mix FX. There is no block for cue mixes.
If they're not available or not present, they will be dark grey.
@ Ron Obvious - you can see the cue mix control I mentioned in the post above in the audio channel.

In the image I've put an audio channel on the left, a bus channel in the middle and an FX channel on the right.

The FX channel has all 3 bars but only the top one will ever light up as you can't add a send or Mix FX to an FX channel.

The audio channel has all 3 lit up because it has inserts, a send and also is being effected by the bus channel Mix FX (which has passthrough active).

The bus channel has all 3 lit up as well but its Mix FX indicator is a half block because it's the one hosting the Mix FX (only bus channels can host Mix FX).
Old 7th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post
It can always be really frustrating when using a daw that has different vocabulary and functionality to the one you're most used to.
We can't expect everything to be the same, nor should we want that as it means stagnation.
If you buy a new oven whose door opens downwards instead of sideways, you don't look at it as inferior, you look at it as 'different'.
It still does exactly the same job, no better, no worse, just different.

S1 is not the same as PT.
You do things differently and some things are called different names. Some things have the same name but do different things.
It's like learning another language (false friends).
If you don't want to learn a new language then stick with the one you already speak!

1. People keep trying to tell you that if you want a channel with FX on it that can send to another channel, just use a bus channel.
It's really that simple.
You're going to name it what you want so it doesn't matter what little icon the channel has, it's irrelevant.
'FX' is just an insert. It doesn't have any special connotation in comparison to other inserts, other than the artificial one in your mind.

An Aux send is not an fx return that you can send from, whether that's a feature that PT has or not, so your terminology is wrong.
As far as I'm aware analogue consoles do not as a rule have sends on aux/fx return channels.
An aux send is a feed from an audio channel to an aux output, that loops through whatever and reappears on an aux/fx return.

If you want to send from a delay for example to a reverb, then use a bus to host the first effect.
If you want the routing to dead-end at the reverb then use an FX channel for the reverb.
If you want to send on from the reverb, then use a bus to host the reverb too.

Just because a channel type is called 'bus' doesn't mean that's all you're allowed to or should use it for.
The different channel types could just be called 'Type A', 'Type B' etc, it just doesn't matter in a daw.

In terms of cues, S1 has dedicated cue mixes, you don't need to use normal sends to set cues up.
Just go to Song setup in Options/Prefs and under the Outputs tab, there are little empty boxes to the right of all the stereo outputs.
If you tick these then a cue mix destination is created for it.

Back in the Console/Inspector, you'll see the cue mix controls beneath the Send controls for every channel that can send that cue (see the image in the post below).

You can lock the cue to the same pan and level settings of the channel it's activated on or set it independently.
You can enable/disable the cue separately for each channel.

There is a limitation here, in that these dedicated cues don't appear for channels labelled 'bus' or 'FX', therefore if you want to send an effect to an artist from a channel that doesn't have dedicated cues, you would set it up as you described in the quote, using a send from the channel hosting that effect (which would need to be a bus type as we've established) to the designated cue output.
This contains all the info you need...
📝 Reply