The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Math is hard...
Old 23rd April 2020
Here for the gear

Math is hard...

There are different ways to get the bars equal to seconds-- 2/4 time signature & 120 BPM or 4/4 time signature & 60 BPM. But then I heard you can also get it from a 1/4 time signature & 60 BPM. Is this correct? It just confuses me how the same BPM with a 1/4 vs 4/4 time signature would equal the same result of the seconds at a whole number.
Old 3rd June 2020
Here for the gear

So, if I follow what you are asking, the following should sort this. Please feel free to comment and or correct.

2/4 = 2 beats per measure, quarter note gets the beat. (tempo 120 BPM). That would equal 1 second per measure. 4/4 = 4 beats per measure, quarter note gets the beat. (tempo 60 BPM). That would equal 4 seconds per measure. For a measure of 2/4 to equal the same time (seconds) as a measure of 4/4 it would need to be at 30 BPM.

2/4 120 BPM 4/4 60 BPM 2/4 30 BPM
60 measures in a minute 15 measures in a minute 15 measures in a minute
120 beats per minute 60 beats in a minute 30 beats per minute
2 beats = 1 second 4 beats = 4 seconds 2 beats = 4 seconds

1/4 = 1 beat per measure, quarter note gets the beat. (tempo 60 BPM). That would equal 1 second per measure.
1/4 60 BPM
60 measures per minute
60 beats per minute
1 beat = 1 second

All of this really has to do with how you feel or write out a musical phrase. What is the clearest way to notate the notes.
Old 12th June 2020
Here for the gear

Ty. I don't really understand what kind of music would be best for which, but for spoken word I've put mine at 2/4 time signature & 120 BPM. Does this seem ideal for that?
Old 13th June 2020
Here for the gear

It really comes down to what you feel comfortable with. If it is for yourself, then do what feels natural and gets you where you want to go.
B-
Old 14th June 2020
Here for the gear

I honestly don't know the practical difference either would effect, what am I supposed to be paying attention to?
Old 8th August 2020
Here for the gear

Well, it's about two things - 1, how it feels - does the phrase sit well with the tempo. Are you looking for a down beat to begin each phrase? Say you have the metronome set at 60 BPM, 4/4 (4 beats per measure) and the phrases you are speaking start at 1 and end at 2 in the next measure. That's 6 beats per phrase. Changing the BPM would not help in getting the correct feel, changing the time signature to 6/4 would put the downbeat (beat 1) at the start of each phrase. Or, are you just looking to have a beat reference to keep your speech at an even timing? Then set the metronome up with the same sound on the fist and following beats and set the level to be the same. Then the time signature does not matter and you are just working with the tempo.
And B, which may not apply - writing it out as a musical score.
I know I'm repeating what I have said before, but I don't know how else to put this.Hope this helps.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear