The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studio One user thinking of moving to RME, have some questions?
Old 12th April 2020
Here for the gear

Studio One user thinking of moving to RME, have some questions?

Hello. I'm a Presonus Studio One user and for the last 20 years I've only used Presonus interfaces. They have been extremely stable for me. I am currently using a Firestudio Tube. I'm looking to upgrade and the RME 802 seems to tick all of the boxes for me.

The one thing that I"m not sure about is TotalMixFX. Currently my workflow is pretty straightforward. I open Studio One, select the inputs on the Firestudio that I wish to record from and record. I don't use zero latency monitoring. I track with minimal plug-ins and I can keep the timings tight enough so that the latency doesn't bother me.

What I'm wondering is if I can use this workflow with the RME 802? Or do I have to go to TotalMixFX, setup or open a scene, and then go to Studio One every time I record? And how about punch-ins? How does that work?

I realize that many people here really like TotalMixFX and I don't want to make any knee jerk reactions until I really understand how it works with my DAW.

Any information from RME and Studio One users would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to spend a bunch of money and then not be satisfied.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 12th April 2020
Lives for gear

Hi,

you can certainly work with RME interfaces without TotalMix. If you don't use any direct monitoring, which you'd like to adjust or advanced routing features of TotalMix, then you can set it once and essentially never touch it again. That's simply your workflow choice.
Of course except of normal working control of the hardware I/Os (like phantom power and line level sensitivity switching, gain adjustments for TRS line inputs), that's naturally accessible only from TotalMix and not DAW.

During initial setup, you basically set your monitoring section, where you assign analog or digital output pair, where you have connected your monitors. Front panel volume knob is an encoder, so it always control the particular pair, you've assigned there. Then you'll load-up built-in preset called "Straight Playback", that way all your playback outputs are mapped 1:1 to ASIO or Core Audio driver, so all your subsequent changes in routings, cue mixes etc. are handled solely in DAW.
If you really don't want to see anything related to direct monitoring in TotalMix, you can also change its operational mode from Full to DAW (option accessible from its menu). This will hide everything related to routing and submixes from UI and imply 1:1 mapping, although functionally that's the same as if you'll load the mentioned preset in full operational mode.

That's it,

Michal
Old 12th April 2020
Here for the gear

Hello Michal,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I really, really appreciate it. I was thinking that since my Presonus is basically set to bypass the mixer, which implies a 1:1 mapping, the more sophistacated RME unit must be able to do the same thing.

I'm going to go for it. Thanks again!

Mark
Old 12th April 2020
Lives for gear

I bought a used RME years ago without looking into it.
I was put off by the fact that I needed to run extra software for it but itโ€™s really a set it and forget it type thing. Once itโ€™s configured the way you like it youโ€™ll probably never look at it again.
Old 12th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark111 View Post
Hello Michal,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I really, really appreciate it. I was thinking that since my Presonus is basically set to bypass the mixer, which implies a 1:1 mapping, the more sophistacated RME unit must be able to do the same thing.

I'm going to go for it. Thanks again!

Mark
Hi Mark,

you're welcome. And good luck with the new interface!

Michal
Old 13th April 2020
Here for the gear

Ordered the 802 and ARC remote this morning. I've been with Presonus for 20 years... Firestation, Firepod, Firepod Tube. Big change for me!
Old 13th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark111 View Post
Ordered the 802 and ARC remote this morning. I've been with Presonus for 20 years... Firestation, Firepod, Firepod Tube. Big change for me!
For me at my personal and studio setups, I've got RME interfaces quite a few years ago and pretty much haven't needed to solve audio interface related issues. Just sometimes I swap those cards to different computer, when I'm upgrading or need to test some other setup. It works flawlessly on both Windows and Mac.
So I believe, you've made a good choice.

Michal
Old 13th April 2020
Here for the gear

One more thing if you don't mind. I have read, though not specifically from RME, that performance is the same using USB or Firewire. Is that your experience? By performance my main concern is of course latency.
Old 13th April 2020
Gear Addict

Mark,
I've used firewire interfaces for years. I purchased an RME UCX that had both firewire and USB2. I tested both. The firewire was 'slightly' more efficient. I decided to go with USB instead because of the reliability. Before RME, I found fixing connectivity issues often meant reboot. I purchased an RME to get away from the driver and connectivity issues.
So to answer your question, yes, firewire appears slightly more efficient in Cubase. Not enough to warrant going back to firewire. Plus, it frees up the FW bus for my TC Powercore.
I find Totalmix amazing. It has really helped with having to switch everything remote over the last month. The Digicheck is really nice addition. I put it on a 7" monitor that is always running in Windows.
RME sounds solid and runs solid. Very happy with the investment.
Old 14th April 2020
Here for the gear

@ Chris ,

Thanks for saving me the testing time. I'm going to go with USB2. My next computer most likely will not be Firewire so I'd rather get that working now. Also my laptop does not have Firewire. The Presonus Firepod Tube with Studio One on Firewire has been unbelievably solid for me. Like years and years without a single problem. I'm being serious. It just works. I'm hoping the Fireface 802 will be as solid.
I will give TotalMix a whirl. I'm pretty experienced with gear so hopefully it'll be intuitive for me.
Mark
Old 14th April 2020
Gear Addict

Assigning channels isn't super intuitive so watch a video or read up on it the first time. After you understand the process, it is pretty easy. I have a friend that turned his total mix into crossover to add a subwoofer. I use it with all kinds of monitoring as well as compressing my mic for live broadcast.
Old 14th April 2020
Gear Addict

I'm using Studio One with a Motu interface. It's not RME, but is't another external brand from Presonus. This is absolutely no problem.

I used it on USB2 before, now I'm on USB3. Only thing that might be less convenient (don't know about the Presonus interfaces, but I assume they are automatically set up in S1) that you need to map you input/outputs. But this a one time task as you can save the IO setup as default.

When tracking, I'm using a bounced version of the session in a separate tracking session and use the song data import function to get the recorded tracks into my main session for mixing.

As long as you keep your latency under 10mS, you're generally fine without zero-latency options. Though I had some singers who needed less than 6ms to not hear the delay, but that's rare (at least in my experience). You can see the current latency in the audio settings.
Old 15th April 2020
Here for the gear

@ Eagle ,

Thanks. And I've also found that <10ms latency is generally not noticeable.
Old 15th April 2020
Lives for gear
RME has solid drivers that will be updated for the next OS upgrade. I use RME MADI-FX. integrates with Cubase well.
Old 18th April 2020
Here for the gear

802 came in today. Install/setup couldn't have been easier. I haven't fooled around with TotalMix yet as it was super easy to just map the channels where I wanted them in Studio One as I was advised. Everything just works. And I really love the ARC Remote.

Thanks so much for the help guys. - Mark

I will add a photo as soon as the forum mods allow it.
Old 18th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
Hi,

you can certainly work with RME interfaces without TotalMix. If you don't use any direct monitoring, which you'd like to adjust or advanced routing features of TotalMix, then you can set it once and essentially never touch it again. That's simply your workflow choice.
Of course except of normal working control of the hardware I/Os (like phantom power and line level sensitivity switching, gain adjustments for TRS line inputs), that's naturally accessible only from TotalMix and not DAW.

During initial setup, you basically set your monitoring section, where you assign analog or digital output pair, where you have connected your monitors. Front panel volume knob is an encoder, so it always control the particular pair, you've assigned there. Then you'll load-up built-in preset called "Straight Playback", that way all your playback outputs are mapped 1:1 to ASIO or Core Audio driver, so all your subsequent changes in routings, cue mixes etc. are handled solely in DAW.
If you really don't want to see anything related to direct monitoring in TotalMix, you can also change its operational mode from Full to DAW (option accessible from its menu). This will hide everything related to routing and submixes from UI and imply 1:1 mapping, although functionally that's the same as if you'll load the mentioned preset in full operational mode.

That's it,

Michal
Yah... this... easy!
Old 20th April 2020
Here for the gear

Absolutely loving the 802 and ARC Remote!

๐Ÿ“ Reply