The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sample Mangling with Studio One
Old 5th April 2020
Sample Mangling with Studio One

I have been using Cubase for conventional music (acoustic instruments + vocals), and I'm trying to step into electronic music now.

I'm wondering how people play with samples in Studio One. I can't find enough information about this topic.

Cubase now has an integrated sampler for quick editing, Padshop (granular mangling) and Groove Agent (Drum mapping). All support drag and drop from main screen audio track. The workflow is not exactly straight forward sometimes, but acceptable.
Old 6th April 2020
Gear Maniac

Hi,

The equivalents are Sample One XT and Impact XT.
You can right click an audio file on arrangement or browser and send it to either plugins or use drag drop.
Sample One XT is more advanced than Cubase Sampler Track and also you can save your presets. Impact XT is not so advanced like GE but still great to create kits.
One problem is if you slice a loop to Impact, Studio One does not create a midi file on track like other DAWs
Nothing like Padshop.
Old 7th April 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinga View Post
Hi,

The equivalents are Sample One XT and Impact XT.
You can right click an audio file on arrangement or browser and send it to either plugins or use drag drop.
Sample One XT is more advanced than Cubase Sampler Track and also you can save your presets. Impact XT is not so advanced like GE but still great to create kits.
One problem is if you slice a loop to Impact, Studio One does not create a midi file on track like other DAWs
Nothing like Padshop.
ozinga, thank you so much for the answer!

Something like sample mangling and beat slicing is a completely new world for me, and I still have to learn many thing about electronic music. I'm interested in jumping on S1 because people say that S1 is more efficient for electronic music production because it has a limitation in a good way. I have been using Cubase in a very basic manner, and I recently learned it has a sampling editing and beat slicing features etc. I don't even know how important those fancy features will be for me... Do you think if I should fresh start S1 now, or I should keep using Cubase?
Old 7th April 2020
Gear Maniac

No Problem

I wouldn't say it is more EDM oriented or better at it than Cubase.
The main difference for me is workflow. Most things are faster and easier in Studio One. It is developed by Ex Cubase programmers. Both are very capable of doing any type of music.
Cubase has boatload of more functions but you probably do not need/use most of them.
But if I were you I would stick with Cubase for more traditional producing since you have and know it and if you want to dive in to EDM world with a different program I would get a basic version of Ableton Live where it shines for sound design, sampling and looping. Also if you want to learn more about EDM production through youtube tutorials etc most of them will be Ableton Live.

Best,
Old 7th April 2020
ozinga, I'll definitely check Ableton. I saw several Youtube videos, and my impression was Ableton is something for DJ, but it is good to know how DJs and the other EDM people work. thanks!
Old 9th April 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by momomel View Post
I have been using Cubase for conventional music (acoustic instruments + vocals), and I'm trying to step into electronic music now.

I'm wondering how people play with samples in Studio One. I can't find enough information about this topic.

Cubase now has an integrated sampler for quick editing, Padshop (granular mangling) and Groove Agent (Drum mapping). All support drag and drop from main screen audio track. The workflow is not exactly straight forward sometimes, but acceptable.
Read this https://blog.presonus.com/index.php/...one-ken-bauer/
Old 9th April 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinga View Post
No Problem

I wouldn't say it is more EDM oriented or better at it than Cubase.
The main difference for me is workflow. Most things are faster and easier in Studio One. It is developed by Ex Cubase programmers. Both are very capable of doing any type of music.
Cubase has boatload of more functions but you probably do not need/use most of them.
But if I were you I would stick with Cubase for more traditional producing since you have and know it and if you want to dive in to EDM world with a different program I would get a basic version of Ableton Live where it shines for sound design, sampling and looping. Also if you want to learn more about EDM production through youtube tutorials etc most of them will be Ableton Live.

Best,
Studio One over Cubase for sure.
Old 11th April 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatizright View Post
Very nice feature set!

Do you know any link that explains the sample mangling on S1?
๐Ÿ“ Reply