The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
(Newbie) using a MIDI keyboard synth
Old 5th April 2020
Gear Addict

(Newbie) attaching a MIDI keyboard synth

I'm a total newbie to DAWs in general, but have installed Studio One 4 Prime (free) on my Mac as I've seen it recommended by many although I find it completely overwhelming. But I'm used to MIDI sequencing, so I thought I'd start there.

Despite Presonus' help pages on the matter I'm utterly confused on how to attach and use a MIDI keyboard synth with it -probably because I don't understand the various terms and their meanings (Devices, send to, receive from) meaning I don't catch the general concept.

I have a Yamaha DX-7 which I want to use as the MIDI master keyboard. I want to control a (hardware) synth module with it.
I have both synths, as well as my audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett 18i20) connected through a MIDI patchbay, and the latter via USB to my Mac. All units have both INs and OUTs connected, and via the MIDI patchbay the DX-7 OUT should go to IN on the audio interface, and OUT from the audio interface should go to the INs of the individual synth rack modules as well as my DX-7 IN.

So I understand that Presonus defines a keyboard synth as two things: a MIDI keyboard and an external MIDI module. I've created both, and according to the MIDI monitor it's working (MIDI is sent from the keyboard when I press its keys). I can also play my MIDI module from the DX-7 (so the audio/MIDI interface is obviously working as a THRU unit), but having created a new track I'm not getting any MIDI input in Studio One when I record. The DX-7 is set as the keyboard to use. Ideas?

Last edited by rhythmcomposer; 5th April 2020 at 10:35 AM..
Old 10th April 2020
Lives for gear

You've already got a lot further than most n00bs so don't sweat it

Sounds like the physical midi routing it's ok, so next step is make sure your instrument track in studio one is set to receive from the DX and that they're talking to each other on the same midi channel.
Old 14th April 2020
Gear Addict

Thanks for encouraging words
I eventually worked it out. What appeared as an error message/warning made me think I had it all wrong (see attached screenshot). Ignoring it and using the ports anyway got it working!
Attached Thumbnails
(Newbie) using a MIDI keyboard synth-studio-one-midi-port-already-use.png  
📝 Reply