The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Identifying beyond "Fat Channel"?
Old 21st March 2020
Lives for gear

Identifying beyond "Fat Channel"?

Up until now I'd only evaluated the stock plugins for sound quality & characteristics and never tried chains. What we have available in the Fat Channel is very decent and diverse. What's a good chain you might ask? Here's one!

Identifying beyond "Fat Channel"?-fat_channel.jpg

Hint: plugins inspired by four companies. So I was wondering if there's a way to manage these so you know which is which? If this is all we have I'd lament it's pretty amateur. Has anyone needed to know what was in the FX chain?
Attached Thumbnails
Identifying beyond "Fat Channel"?-fat_channel.jpg  
Old 22nd March 2020
Lives for gear

Uninstalled Fat Channel! Even if I could have understood what was in the chain(s), within Plugin Doctor the IM and other diagnostics look pretty nasty.

Okay you live you learn .
Old 1st April 2020
Studio One aced it again!

Old 1st April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
Studio One aced it again!

April Fool? Aced what?
Old 1st April 2020
Gear Maniac

I use the fat channel quite a bit. I've done some side by side testing (nothing too scientific) and concluded the emulations, for the most part, held their own when compared to others I had on hand. Not quite UAD/Softube level, but much better than Waves, etc.

There are 3 areas I wish they would work on though. 1) When you change out 1 plugin for another within FC, the settings all reset. 2) I wish there were a couple of empty slots to allow stacking of eqs and compressors. Would love to do some surgical stuff with the standard eq and then run that through a Pultec. 3) Add some analog saturation.
Old 1st April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofolk View Post
I use the fat channel quite a bit. I've done some side by side testing (nothing too scientific) and concluded the emulations, for the most part, held their own when compared to others I had on hand. Not quite UAD/Softube level, but much better than Waves, etc.

There are 3 areas I wish they would work on though. 1) When you change out 1 plugin for another within FC, the settings all reset. 2) I wish there were a couple of empty slots to allow stacking of eqs and compressors. Would love to do some surgical stuff with the standard eq and then run that through a Pultec. 3) Add some analog saturation.
I've previously thought Softube had something to do with some of the plugins in Fat Channel? Not just the saturation knob plugin that's free. That was my first clue Softube had a relationship with Presonus but I can't put my finger on where I thought some of Fat Channel is Softube. I compared Fat Channel Pultecs with PTEQ-X and Acustica Acqua pultecs like Purple and the Tube Tech Pultec and the one onboard Studio One was the worst, tied with Waves PuigTec. However Jack Joseph Puig being the master he is, those presets in Waves work fantastic within Acoustica Acqua plugins like Purple.

I also loved the Classic compressor in Fat Channel though, but not enough to avoid dead weight plugins that are more trouble then they're worth.

Softtube, they mean well but I don't like the overall sound of any of that, haven't tried the tape emu tough.
Old 1st April 2020
Gear Maniac

Yeah, I'm sure those others are better (I've not yet tried them, I'll have to check them out) but the FC is pretty light on resources, which my lil imac likes Interesting thought on softube working with Presonus. Makes sense. Softube seems to lend themselves out a lot for stuff like that. I have Console 1 too, but after a long while using it, I just don't care for the workflow and interface like I had hoped I would.
Old 1st April 2020
Lives for gear

My Kingdom for a way to translate Reaper ".RPP" preset files to Studio One

What happened lately is I got a bunch of Acqua plugins and since they mostly don't have presets at this time (they have some with AI presets starting lately though). So I spent a few nights poaching presets from other iterations like Brainworx and Waves. So if I had a pultec to match GUIs I'd put every "Pultec" here in a stack and do them all at once for shootouts. I'm pretty sure Presonus was better than Waves.

And nothing against Waves; they went as far as you could with the technology at the time but they're pretty much only good for the presets now compared to everything else.
Old 2nd April 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
April Fool? Aced what?
You're talking about the fact you have 4 instances of Fat Channel on a track and they all simply say "Fat Channel", without revealing that this one may be an eq, that one may be a comp, this one may be a limiter etc, right?

So that sounds like a little oversight on the part of Studio One...to just show Fat Channel, Fat Channel, Fat Channel, Fat Channel.

Isn't that what you're saying?

So I said.....sarcastically.....Studio One really aced it there!

Maybe I have misunderstood what you're talking about.

Old 2nd April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
You're talking about the fact you have 4 instances of Fat Channel on a track and they all simply say "Fat Channel", without revealing that this one may be an eq, that one may be a comp, this one may be a limiter etc, right?

So that sounds like a little oversight on the part of Studio One...to just show Fat Channel, Fat Channel, Fat Channel, Fat Channel.

Isn't that what you're saying?

So I said.....sarcastically.....Studio One really aced it there!

Maybe I have misunderstood what you're talking about.

Yeah you'd almost think Fat Channel would be omitted from the Pro version and stuck into the Prime or whatever the entry level one is right now.

Thing is those plugins seem to run light on CPU and I was about to get more use of mine, loading them up with presets.

Thanks for hanging out with me on my birthday H_P!
Old 2nd April 2020
Happy birthday

So, have I understood you correctly??
Old 2nd April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
Uninstalled Fat Channel! Even if I could have understood what was in the chain(s), within Plugin Doctor the IM and other diagnostics look pretty nasty.

Okay you live you learn .
Joe Gilder likes Fat Channel so much that he doesn't care about what Plugin Doctor says.
Old 2nd April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Stravinsky View Post
Joe Gilder likes Fat Channel so much that he doesn't care about what Plugin Doctor says.
Then he'll be even more thrilled to see "Fat Channel" everywhere he's got one open . If that's not positive reinforcement than I dunno
Old 2nd April 2020
Gear Maniac

I always wonder about guys like Joe. He's a paid presonus influencer, so I never know what to believe
Old 2nd April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I always wonder about guys like Joe. He's a paid presonus influencer, so I never know what to believe
Thinking out loud here, but may the winds of good ideas being this one to Presonus Germany who work ten days week, and that's what they call vacation ...

Suggestion Box: Instead of paying influencers, use the money to clean up some little bugs like the obvious one where four tracks of FX chains of Fat Channel and your head is spinning trying to remember what's what!

Thank you
Old 2nd April 2020
Quote:
He's very open that he:

a) likes Studio One/ Presonus
b) has been for years and is sponsored by Presonus
c) works for Presonus
d) belongs philosophically to the camp that says "stock plugins are good"

Old 2nd April 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
He's very open that he:

a) likes Studio One/ Presonus
b) has been for years and is sponsored by Presonus
c) works for Presonus
d) belongs philosophically to the camp that says "stock plugins are good"

I agree on all of that, he says it often. My comment was more to the point of I wonder what his opinion is after the camera is off. Not saying I think he's slimy or anything. Joe seems like a good guy. It's more a comment towards influencers in general. The whole influencer thing is a little creepy to me. Like overt product placement in movies.
Old 2nd April 2020
Quote:
I agree on all of that, he says it often. My comment was more to the point of I wonder what his opinion is after the camera is off. Not saying I think he's slimy or anything. Joe seems like a good guy. It's more a comment towards influencers in general. The whole influencer thing is a little creepy to me. Like overt product placement in movies.
Yeah but who cares what some stranger on youtube says anyway, I suppose.

Old 10th April 2020
Gear Addict

Seems quite logical to me. After all, it's a channel strip. Why would you need 4 in a row? You can enable the compressor, high-pass and EQ on each of them.

But I do wish, these Fat Channel add-ons were also accessible as single instance, so I could just drop the 1176 on a channel without the need to select it and enable it first.
๐Ÿ“ Reply