The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
External MIDI device - connected but can't hear audio
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

External MIDI device - connected but can't hear audio

I've just installed Studio One, and have managed to get as far as connecting my Elektron Machinedrum via MIDI through the Studio 26 interface.

I've set up the External Device in StudioOne, so I'm getting a MIDI signal as the orange level meter (on the track) is moving in time with the drum pattern. I've also recorded a small section where the drums have appeared on the timeline. However, I can't hear anything either from the Machinedrum going into the interface or when I play the track.

I've got headphones going in to the interface, and am hearing the StudioOne synths just fine; just not anything from the Machinedrum.

Does anyone have any idea what options I need to select to hear the audio from external MIDI devices and/or the recorded tracks?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You've said you connected it via midi, but you haven't mentioned any audio connections.
You know that midi isn't audio right?
Old 2 weeks ago
I don't have S1 open in front of me, but if you open a VI track, and have the instrument open, there is a pull down up top that has a sort of arrow symbol. If you open it, you can pick the midi device that is routed to it.

That one got me at first too.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search