The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Upgrading Vocal Chain?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Upgrading Vocal Chain?

First Thread on here woooo!

I am a singer who in the last 2 years have started building my own Home studio.

I live in a 1 room apartment so i hade very hard time recording here so after many months of trial and error i invested in a Isovox2 (vocal booth) so the recording is from home inside the booth.

I have a Slate Ml1 microphone, Blue bluebird and Warm audio 251

The vocal chain im using right now looks like this.

Warm audio 251-ISA One (preamp) - Apogee Quartet (interface)- Daw

Any sugestions on what should be my next upgrade?

I want a vocal chain that can compete with whats on spotify top 40 in the future hehe

Im Uploading a dry vocal and a mixed also for a reference.
Attached Files

Acapella dry(2).wav (7.38 MB, 77 views)

Acapella Mixed.wav (7.38 MB, 70 views)

Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Well the tried and true standard is...

mic -> preamp -> 1176-type compressor -> LA-type compressor then splatter EQ/effects in there to taste. Of course, the higher the quality of the components the better but it looks like you have a good start there.

Since you are using Studio One, look into getting Craig Anderton's PDF book "How to Record Great Vocals in Studio One." He has a couple other S1-specific books as well.

https://www.craiganderton.com/pages/news-products

There is no shame in using plugins like Waves Artist Series vocal plugins to get you started in the right direction either, but honestly, if you know how to use them there is no reason you can't record "radio ready" vocals using the S1 stock plugins as long as your recording environment (room acoustics), mic, mic pre and technique are up to the task.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpsbb View Post
Well the tried and true standard is...

mic -> preamp -> 1176-type compressor -> LA-type compressor then splatter EQ/effects in there to taste. Of course, the higher the quality of the components the better but it looks like you have a good start there.

Since you are using Studio One, look into getting Craig Anderton's PDF book "How to Record Great Vocals in Studio One." He has a couple other S1-specific books as well.

https://www.craiganderton.com/pages/news-products

There is no shame in using plugins like Waves Artist Series vocal plugins to get you started in the right direction either, but honestly, if you know how to use them there is no reason you can't record "radio ready" vocals using the S1 stock plugins as long as your recording environment (room acoustics), mic, mic pre and technique are up to the task.

Thank for your replay! Im looking on the warm audio 1176 at the moment. do you have any experience with it? or can you recomend any other good 1176 around the same price range ?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac
I'm a DIY guy so I went with the SoundSkulptor.com version and I absolutely love it, but I know lots of people love the Warm Audio stuff... I don't think you can go wrong with that.

Another place to look is Hairball Audio.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search