The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Transient Detection / Bend Marker at Beginning of Transient
Old 30th November 2019
Lightbulb Transient Detection / Bend Marker at Beginning of Transient

I’ve been looking for a viable DAW to replace Cubase as my main DAW. I love the overall speed and workflow of S1. There are some minor quirks here and there but that’s the case with any DAW.

The biggest issue I’ve found is the way S1 handles detecting transients. It detects a range and places the bend marker later on the transient instead of at the beginning of the transient like protools or cubase does. This causes a problem for me when I’m extracting a midi clip / groove from say a kick drum. The midi notes align to the bend marker which is not on the beginning of the transient.

Screenshot of S1 detecting a kick transient. Dragged the transient detected event into the groove panel and then dragged the groove into a new track. As you can see the MIDI note is behind the kick. This is problematic if I want MIDI to fire right on a kick hit.

Transient Detection / Bend Marker at Beginning of Transient-screenshot-2019-11-29-21.23.48.jpg

Screenshot of 
Cubase handling the same file. Here you can see the MIDI note and the kick align perfectly.

Transient Detection / Bend Marker at Beginning of Transient-screenshot-2019-11-29-21.33.36.jpg

Would love the option to have S1 place the bend marker at the beginning of the transient instead of at the end of the transient range.

Let me know if I’m missing something here. Hoping that I'm doing something wrong. I’m so close to switching but this is a major set back for me.

From the manual:

If Bend Markers have been inserted as the result of transient detection, a very short, highlighted range—visible if zoomed in far enough—precedes the Bend Marker. This range represents the distance between the onset and the peak of the transient, and it is important when Studio One quantizes audio based on Bend Markers. When cutting, the onset of the transient is used, so as to encompass the whole transient. When quantizing or snapping a Bend Marker, the peaks of the transient are referenced, for better rhythmic accuracy.
Attached Thumbnails
Transient Detection / Bend Marker at Beginning of Transient-screenshot-2019-11-29-21.23.48.jpg   Transient Detection / Bend Marker at Beginning of Transient-screenshot-2019-11-29-21.33.36.jpg  
Old 30th November 2019
Lives for gear

I’d take this to the presonus forum... someone over there will know what’s what

Also, check this cat’s video tutorials

Old 30th November 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
I’d take this to the presonus forum... someone over there will know what’s what

Also, check this cat’s video tutorials

Yeah I've watched that guy's video. Super informative but doesn't seem to get into the issue of the way S1 handles transient detection. I've taken this to the presonus forum as well. Was just hoping on here had some insight as well.
Old 7th May 2020
Here for the gear

This is still a problem as of version 4.6. I don't think this has been resolved. Anyone aware of a solution? Even Ableton has better transient detection for triggering samples.
Old 11th May 2020
Lives for gear

I am trying out Studio One, and this is a bit of a show stopper for me unless there is a way to get the Bend Markers at the top of the audio. As pointed out the first post, the marker needs to be where the beginning of the light blue selection is...
📝 Reply