The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How about some things we'd like in s1?
Old 4 weeks ago
How about some things we'd like in s1?

I would like to see:

*The ability to move any track,channel,aux etc order in any tracklist, the mix view, or the edit window by just grabbing it and moving it. I hate that sometimes have to screw around and find a window that will let me edit the order.

*I'd like to also be able to unhide any track in either track list. Yes, I want to see my auxes and instruments in both track lists, even if unhiding a track up in the edit window track list only makes it show up in the mix window.

*I want to be able to right click and delete a track,channel,aux, instrument etc in either track list, or on a channel in the mixer. Right click, choose delete, gone
* would like a way to go instantly to a more visible (less colorful) wave view in either the edit window or editor window to more easily make fine edits, and them flip back to pretty view. Extra points if you get to choose the color scheme for the detailed editing view.

*I'd like to be able to select a track, hit cntl-a and select only the audio in that track. This might be possible, but it seems to select everything on the edit window screen.

*I'd like to be able to right click on a loop, select loop, and be prompted for the number of times I want the loop to happen. I've only been able to loop using the duplicate command, which does work, but it would be way easier like Protools does it.

*I want the option to have aux pans follow the main channel panning

*I want a channel to automatically convert to stereo when you add a stereo plugin like protools does.

*Ability to choose an output or outputs to bounce, even if it's just one mono or stereo set of outputs per bounce. If you run a console, you have to select then send everything you have going to an output to a bus then bounce that bus to get your console outputs, then when you step back S1 looses your channel assignments and defaults to output 1/2

You guys got anything that irks ya?

Lets help them make this better to use.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmission View Post
...*I'd like to be able to right click on a loop, select loop, and be prompted for the number of times I want the loop to happen. I've only been able to loop using the duplicate command, which does work, but it would be way easier like ProTools does it.
That one resonates with me, or use a keyboard shortcut so the right mouse cursor can paint the loop to repeat.

I haven't gotten to Auxs or the other staples yet, but the other suggestions sound good.
All I'd add, is that when I have one insert in a track I can never get to it unless i add another insert. I can't find it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Possibilty to change the width of the mixer channels like in cubase console

I really would like to be able to have a variale width or zoom in out of the width of studio ones mixer channels like it is in cubase. So far i know this is not possible in studio one right now. It is only possible to have the big channel width where you can see inserts or the very small width where you do not see the inserts and only the big meters. To have a better overview for big sessions, this would be important for me. Or did i miss this possibilty, how to do it in studio one right now?

Best

Last edited by Marand; 2 weeks ago at 11:07 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Three-quarters of everything you've asked for is already possible.

You need to go and investigate what the macro functionality in S1 can do for you.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I felt a bit mean just saying 'go and work it out' so here are some of the easiest solutions to some of your stated issues.
I'd like to point out though that the answers below are really basic functions and settings in S1, and although I myself wince when I read someone saying 'read the manual' as a reply, honestly, RTFM!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmission
I would like to see:
*The ability to move any track,channel,aux etc order in any tracklist, the mix view, or the edit window by just grabbing it and moving it. I hate that sometimes have to screw around and find a window that will let me edit the order.
Just untick the 'Keep x channels to the right' checkboxes in the Console settings (click the spanner icon) and then you can move whatever you want wherever you want.

Quote:
*I'd like to also be able to unhide any track in either track list. Yes, I want to see my auxes and instruments in both track lists, even if unhiding a track up in the edit window track list only makes it show up in the mix window.
If you want to unhide a track just click the dot next to it in the tracklist so that it's solid white instead of greyed out...

Quote:
*I want to be able to right click and delete a track,channel,aux, instrument etc in either track list, or on a channel in the mixer. Right click, choose delete, gone
Just select the track or channel and press Shift + T.

Quote:
*I'd like to be able to select a track, hit cntl-a and select only the audio in that track. This might be possible, but it seems to select everything on the edit window screen.
Just click 'Select All on Tracks' from the Select menu...
Have you not even investigated the menus???
I mean, come on dude!

Quote:
*I'd like to be able to right click on a loop, select loop, and be prompted for the number of times I want the loop to happen. I've only been able to loop using the duplicate command, which does work, but it would be way easier like Protools does it.
Terminology mismatch here..
You mean you work with audio loops and you want to duplicate a specified number of times? Or you mean actual looped audio events?

Quote:
*I want the option to have aux pans follow the main channel panning
Agreed, this is a major oversight.
I've put send pan on the pots with send level on the faders on my map with channel pan and send pan in flip mode which puts all the controls there for you straight away, put linking them is a problem for now, as only insert effect parameters are available in the channel macro controls, among various other roadblocks.

Quote:
*I want a channel to automatically convert to stereo when you add a stereo plugin like protools does.
That's not how audio works in general.
A mono source doesn't just become a stereo source because a stereo plug is on it, so I'm baffled at what you're trying to achieve there.

Stereo plug-ins will automatically work in mono mode on a mono channel though, which is the desired behaviour.

Quote:
*Ability to choose an output or outputs to bounce, even if it's just one mono or stereo set of outputs per bounce.
You can already do this from the Export dialogue.

Quote:
Lets help them make this better to use.
I hope you can see from the answers above that it is actually really easy to use, once you've learned how to use it properly.!
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post
I felt a bit mean just saying 'go and work it out' so here are some of the easiest solutions to some of your stated issues.
I'd like to point out though that the answers below are really basic functions and settings in S1, and although I myself wince when I read someone saying 'read the manual' as a reply, honestly, RTFM!!
What makes you think that these are things that I haven't searched for an answer for?

Quote:
Just untick the 'Keep x channels to the right' checkboxes in the Console settings (click the spanner icon) and then you can move whatever you want wherever you want.
I did that the first week I got the program.

You'll have to give me some time to run up against this again, and then I will give you the circumstances where you can't move in one view, but can mouse up to the other and freely make the same move.

Quote:
If you want to unhide a track just click the dot next to it in the tracklist so that it's solid white instead of greyed out...
I wasn't having a problem with hiding/inhiding tracks. As I said, I want the option for all of the tracks, auxes, effects sends, etc to show in the tracks lists for the event view as well as the mix view. I'd like to see auxes etc in the edit view like you can in PT. I don't want to have to open the mix view, find the aux, and adjust a volume there if I'm working in the edit view. I want to mouse over and adjust the volume right there on the track.

Quote:
Just select the track or channel and press Shift + T.
It's Cntl-shift-T. Thanks for that. I'd still like a right click menu right there.

Quote:
Just click 'Select All on Tracks' from the Select menu...
Have you not even investigated the menus???
I mean, come on dude!
Seriously, I did not see it.

I did later find that shift-cntl-A will select everything on just the highlighted track.

Quote:
Terminology mismatch here..
You mean you work with audio loops and you want to duplicate a specified number of times? Or you mean actual looped audio events?
Specific number of times. For example you have a 2 bar drum loop that you want 49 copies of to fill out a song you are writing as a reference drum track.

Quote:
Agreed, this is a major oversight.
I've put send pan on the pots with send level on the faders on my map with channel pan and send pan in flip mode which puts all the controls there for you straight away, put linking them is a problem for now, as only insert effect parameters are available in the channel macro controls, among various other roadblocks.
We agree.

Quote:
That's not how audio works in general.
A mono source doesn't just become a stereo source because a stereo plug is on it, so I'm baffled at what you're trying to achieve there.
It sure is. Have you ever used Protools?

In protools I can record a mono guitar line in on a mono track, set my outputs where I want them (a bus, or outputs 23-24 for example) drop the scuffham S-Gear Plugin on it, and it instantly expands to stereo after the plugin. and you are done. Simple and elegant. I don't have to waste another second. The stereo effect from the plugin are instantly delt with.

How are you handling something like that without having to create a bus just to make that mono guitar track stereo after a plugin?

Quote:
Stereo plug-ins will automatically work in mono mode on a mono channel though, which is the desired behaviour.
Not my desired behavior.

Quote:
You can already do this from the Export dialogue.
If you can export a stem from physical output 19-20 for example, I'd love to see a screen shot. There is a feature request on Presonus's site, and I am not the only person asking for this.

It is a serious pain in the butt to export tracks, and I did a lot of looking in the program,manual, and across the net before I went through the trouble of having to move my outputs to busses in order to export stems.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
What makes you think that these are things that I haven't searched for an answer for?
Probably because I've covered nearly all these issues personally already, on this very sub-forum..

Quote:
You'll have to give me some time to run up against this again, and then I will give you the circumstances where you can't move in one view, but can mouse up to the other and freely make the same move.
There should be no movement restrictions at all once those boxes are unchecked so would be interested to hear if there's a bug under certain conditions.
I haven't come across it yet though.

Quote:
I wasn't having a problem with hiding/inhiding tracks.
That's exactly what you said..
Quote:
I'd like to also be able to unhide any track in either track list.
If you want different answers, ask different questions

This:
Quote:
As I said, I want the option for all of the tracks, auxes, effects sends, etc to show in the tracks lists for the event view as well as the mix view.
was the second part of your question.

Yes you can, you need to tick the add automation for all channels box in Advanced Options. It's not applied retrospectively though.

Quote:
It's Cntl-shift-T. Thanks for that. I'd still like a right click menu right there.
I must have remapped it to Shift +T for ease of use.

Quote:
Specific number of times. For example you have a 2 bar drum loop that you want 49 copies of to fill out a song you are writing as a reference drum track.
Hmm, yeah I remember that from Cubase, have been mixing not writing so haven't missed it. Just make a macro for 20 times, 50 times etc.
Studio One is pretty much designed to be used with its macro functions.
Investigate them, it will pay off.

Quote:
In protools I can record a mono guitar line in on a mono track, set my outputs where I want them (a bus, or outputs 23-24 for example) drop the scuffham S-Gear Plugin on it, and it instantly expands to stereo after the plugin. and you are done. Simple and elegant. I don't have to waste another second. The stereo effect from the plugin are instantly delt with.

How are you handling something like that without having to create a bus just to make that mono guitar track stereo after a plugin?
Still don't get it.
What is the Scuffham S-Gear? If you're referencing specific plugs you'll have to explain them. Your routing explanation is a bit muddled as well.

You can switch a mono channel to a stereo one just by clicking the little circle so it becomes two circles.

Quote:
Not my desired behavior.
We're talking at cross-purposes because you're not explaining yourself properly.
UAD for example make a stereo and mono version of each of their plugs in order to save processing power.
If you drop a stereo version on a mono track, the plug will operate as a mono plug.
Dropping a stereo plug on a mono channel doesn't make that source stereo.
If you're talking about plugs that create a left and right channel from just a 'left', that's something different, and you haven't stated that as the case.
Old 2 weeks ago
I guess you and I speak different languages. I don't have time to play games. Thanks for the tiny bit of help.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I guess you and I speak different languages. I don't have time to play games. Thanks for the tiny bit of help.
I thought it was a very generous attempt to solve all the questions you had.

Most are questions I had or would be soon, so my thanks to Quetz
I still appreciate xmission for asking. Just not so much giving a helper a kick in the crotch.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow.

I've never blocked anyone before, the privilege is all yours!!
Old 2 weeks ago
OK. I apologize. Sometimes text doesn't translate, and I took some of the answers as smarmy and out of context when I probably shouldn't have.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

True stereo panning option instead of this balance nonsense.

I just got on board with S1 and this was one thing I had to overlook. I'm going to hate using a plugin to pan... unless I'm missing something.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Don't think so.
When they did the update that added the polarity switches to the channel strips, they gave stereo channels a left and right polarity button, seemed lie a good time to have added the extra pan control as well.
Maybe it's one of those things that seems simple to us but a nightmare to implement after the fact..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Don't think so.
When they did the update that added the polarity switches to the channel strips, they gave stereo channels a left and right polarity button, seemed lie a good time to have added the extra pan control as well.
Maybe it's one of those things that seems simple to us but a nightmare to implement after the fact..
It took Logic a while to add it. Hopefully it was just lower priority for Presonus and it's coming soon.

Crazy how coming from one DAW makes some things appear to be a given. I now see why folks have more than one.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The other one is the lack of channel and send pan linking.

A lot of this stuff, if you're not professional it goes over your head then as you get more experience you're like yeah damn! I need that!
(Speaking for myself there - didn't want to come across as patronising!)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I would greatly appreciate a much more robust hover/contextual help system. The one provided in S1 is OK, but often sparse.
Old 1 week ago

So here is an example of where you can't change the order of tracks by selecting and sliding in the track window.

If you have all of your tracks shown in the track view and want to move them, you must select them to open them in the edit window in order to rearrange.

On top of that you almost have to have all of the tracks open in the edit view when you move them, or they probably wont wind up in the order you want them.

For instance. If I open the bottom 4 BU tracks above open in the edit window, and move the very bottom track to the top of the other 3 BU tracks, it will end up above the kick drum when you do open all of the tracks.

It'd be so much easier to just move them in the track view on the left.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

There are a few things I'd like to see as workflow improvements
1.the ability to freeze a track (or tracks) on the console so that they don't disappear out of view when scrolling left or right in a song with lots of tracks. This would be similar to Microsoft Excel freeze column or freeze row feature.
2.the ability to turn off /Bypass all instances of the same plugin from the plugin gui. Simply display the plugin and from the top left menu icon click Bypass all instances as a way to a/b with and without the effect.
3.the ability to detach a tracks mixer from the inspector so that it floats freely. I think Pro Tools has this and its a feature I'd use on my 2nd monitor(which is a touch screen). My main monitor is not touch enabled.
4.the ability to reposition the transport bar.
5.I'd also back up what xmission requested in being able to rearrange tracks from the track view list.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Shift + Double Click any media or anywhere in the track lane to select all media on that track.
Old 1 week ago
When you have an effect in a send on the mix window that you want to remove, I want a right click option to show that allows you to remove it without having to scroll all the way to the bottom of the assignment choices. Now I have to scroll down about 70 choices before I can get to "remove".
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

-Combination MIDI/Instrument tracks like Pro Tools had/has for external instruments

-External Instrument tracks shown in the mixer

-True stereo panning without the need of a plugin
Old 1 week ago
I thought I'd mention that you can get your busses (and probably FX aux returns) to show in the edit window by right clicking on them, and choosing "edit automation volume"
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

More Color options with custom colors

Scale Time: ''Snap to markers''

Editable Video Track

Save Track Folders as presets

Video Audio Locked to SMPTE with the ability of negative offset

Tempo, Marker, Signature, Midi and Audio playlists

Enhanced browser with tags and sub categories

Retrospective Recording

Time Stamp Events

Enhanced Timecode operations for media composing.

External Instrument Track

Global volume and dedicated browser for Impact XT

Articulation Management
Old 5 days ago
I was exporting/importing a bunch of stuff from PT yesterday, and was reminded of how much I used the markers view in PT. I'd love to see a little floating window like that in S1, where it lists the markers, and you can just click on the one you want to go to. It also listed the bars/beats/time. Very useful.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinga View Post

Retrospective Recording

Articulation Management
What are these two?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Retrospective Recording(Cubase) Capture (Ableton Live)

Recording without pressing the record button
Say you are sitting at your keys and played something but the song was not running or recording. And you wish you've recorded it. With retrospective recording(Cubase),Capture(Ableton Live) it is possible. And personally even though the song is running I feel more comfortable not pressing the record and capturing it later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7KiN6UOhkA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liCs9C9bjxs

Articulation management(Logic)-Expression Maps (Cubase)

Allows you to change key switches of libraries like Kontakt orchestral libraries that have different articulations on the same preset like pizzicato staccato etc instead of entering the designated low notes on the keyboard. So those notes do not show up on scores or do not cause problem when transposing etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do5SWkZiR6U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIAlUPuvX3A

Last edited by ozinga; 5 days ago at 09:28 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 5 days ago
Cool. Thank you.

Retrospective recording sounds like a really awesome feature. I'm assuming it just does armed tracks, without the actual record button hit?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Yes it is great. When working with video just look at a scene and play without thinking of any tempo or what you will play without the stress of recording it
Old 5 days ago
I'd like to have the phase polarity button show to the right of the fader on the main mixer channel.

You have to open the channel editor, and lengthen the fader panel for the phase button to show up. When doing drums, this is a pain. If they were right there on the mix window, it'd be awesome.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search