The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Thoughts on Faderports?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thoughts on Faderports?

I'm close to pulling the trigger on S1 as a replacement/alternative to Logic (lack of true stereo panning and inability to slave to external sequencer are the only reasons I don't already own). I'm also interested in the Faderport 16, but reviews/vids on this thing are hard to come by.

Anyone care to share thoughts? Pluses, minuses? 2nd generation expected any time soon?

One thing I'm not ecstatic about is the lack of knobs for each channel, having to use the fader for controls clearly meant for a knob/dial. Not having used anything similar before, this is about the only negative I could think of.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
I have a FaderPort 8 and wish I had the 16. The level of integration with S1 is amazing. If it suddenly broke, I would have to go into debt to replace it immediately.

Lack of knobs? Add a Console 1. The combo of C1/FP8or16/S1 is FANTASTIC. This was a game-changer for me!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I want(ed) a Console 1 for a while, but I only own a few Softube plugs. Finding vids & reviews using it with 3rd party plugs are hard to come by.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

As a faderport 16 owner I would say that the integration with studio one is really well thought out.
Don't let the one pan knob put you off, you won't miss having a per channel knob.
I use mine all the time with S1 and would definitely work a lot slower without it.
The only feature I don't use is the link button.
A good if undocumented feature is the macro button, use that for the channel editor to control channel functions, I discovered that from watching a Marcus Huyskens video where he maps 2 Bypass buttons to one faderport button. Very handy feature
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I don't mind the one pan knob for panning. It's more about effect controls that would work better with knobs. But that alone isn't going to stop me from owning one.

I have been watching some of Marcus Huyskens' vids. Very informative. But despite having the Faderport, he uses his mouse quite often. I assume it's to show what he's doing on screen. Either way, I still don't get to see the Faderport in action.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It's hit or miss. I have an 8 and I'm happy I didn't drop the $$$ on the 16.

Presonus kinda screwed up the way tracks are laid out on the faderport and haven't figured out how to fix it so that's kind of a major bummer.
The tracks show up on the faderport as ALL the tracks in your project, including hidden ones. There is a workaround where you have a seperate mode in the fader window called "remote" and you have to select it. The bigger bummer is, is that if you're knee deep in a project and decided to activate the "remote" function, the list of tracks hidden and shown DOES NOT reflect the actual list. So now you have to go back and forth between the regular list and the remote one and select/deselect tracks on the remote view to match the regular view.

On top of that, the only way to get it to show up on the faderport is to go into "user" mode which is accessed by hitting shift+all. It kind of takes you out of the moving between all the track views quickly because you have to keep going back to this awkward shift+all mode to get a view on your faderport that reflects your actual view. Of course common sense dictates that the native mode of S1 and the Faderport would be to only display shown tracks and not display hidden ones, but as a user of S1, that Daw does have it's moments that go against common sense so it's not surprising and reinforces my personal opinion that the programmers of S1 don't actually use the product in a professional environment.

There's also the little display screens, which presonus uses a cheap variant of. If you're above the mixer looking down at it, it's fine, but it can get wonky look at them from an angle. I think they added an LCD contrast option to try to help deal with it. The way I have my faderport set up though I always look down on it so the little screens haven't been a problem.

I'd love for a faderport 24 to be introduced, BUT ONLY if presonus can update both S1 and the Faderport to actually operate as a professional environment and make the faderport display only the shown tracks in it's view in "all" mode.

(Seriously how often do you feel the need to mix hidden tracks?)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I do use templates and end up with unused tracks. I could see hidden tracks being an issue to work around.

I would be looking down on the mixer, so the display screens shouldn't be an issue.

This gives me something specific to look for when searching for review vids. Thanks!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
ionian, go do some research on how to properly set up the remote mode. Hidden tracks are not an issue at all if you set it up properly.

Using remote mode, I can set up "scenes" like "all drums" "all guitars" "all vox" and such, selecting through them with macros linked to the function keys on the FP.

Of course it is going to take a little up-front work to set it up properly, but that can be vastly minimized using song templates.

Another way you can minimize the impact of a hidden track is to just move it to the very end of the channel list... all hidden channels are at the end so they don't show up inline with the non-hidden ones.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

A related question...

Anyone using a Solid State Logic SiX or something similar instead? Any thoughts to share?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search