The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Bus Is Always Stereo
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Bus Is Always Stereo

Let’s make this simple. Let’s say I want to send 3 bass tracks to a bass bus. All 3 are mono and center panned. Whenever I make a bus, it’s stereo. Never mono. Does studio one have mono busses?

Second question. How can I apply a dual mono compressor? Something like waves 1176. Stereo. Mono. But I want dual mono. Is that an option?

And what happens when you put a stereo plug in on a mono source or a mono on a stereo track?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

There is a mono/stereo selection on the bus channel under the Mute button
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

You can use the Splitter tool to make a dual mono compressor. Split by left/right channel, put the same comp on each side.

Stereo Waves plugins work on mono tracks the same as the mono versions. I don't even use the mono versions (I have them hidden).

A mono plugin on a stereo track will make that track mono, so be careful!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanM View Post
You can use the Splitter tool to make a dual mono compressor. Split by left/right channel, put the same comp on each side.

Stereo Waves plugins work on mono tracks the same as the mono versions. I don't even use the mono versions (I have them hidden).

A mono plugin on a stereo track will make that track mono, so be careful!
Let’s assume this is a kick only. Out of sd3 into a stereo track. Are you saying if I put a mono plug in on this now stereo track, it’s a mono track? If so, how can you confirm this?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap217 View Post
Let’s assume this is a kick only. Out of sd3 into a stereo track. Are you saying if I put a mono plug in on this now stereo track, it’s a mono track? If so, how can you confirm this?
You can confirm this yourself. You can hear it. Make a stereo track with an obvious wide stereo sound, i.e. different left right channels like a pad or reverb (or a bus with different instruments left and right). If you put a mono Waves plug it will mono the sound. Of it will still be a stereo channel in the console, but the left right channels will be the same.

If your kick is coming out to a stereo track, is it actually a stereo sound? Or dual mono? Is there left right sounds, or if you switch your master to mono does it sound the same? Just because you send it to a stereo track does not make it stereo.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search