The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Remedy for Windows 10 annoying white title bar?
Old 13th September 2019
Lives for gear

Remedy for Windows 10 annoying white title bar?

I've always liked dark themes and of course Studio One is in the neighborhood of beautiful and gorgeous.

I upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 10 on two machines. So far most everything made the journey in one piece but the way Windows 10 displays the title bar is now a major white distraction.

Thought I'd ask here if there's a simple way to tweak that into maybe sensory-deprivation gray or dark?

-edited- yes it's a Windows 10 question but since Studio One is the most important thing I'm running, and since others here have a lot of hours every day on theirs, the answer is probably here.

Last edited by JoeyM; 13th September 2019 at 07:06 PM..
Old 14th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
I've always liked dark themes and of course Studio One is in the neighborhood of beautiful and gorgeous.

I upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 10 on two machines. So far most everything made the journey in one piece but the way Windows 10 displays the title bar is now a major white distraction.

Thought I'd ask here if there's a simple way to tweak that into maybe sensory-deprivation gray or dark?

-edited- yes it's a Windows 10 question but since Studio One is the most important thing I'm running, and since others here have a lot of hours every day on theirs, the answer is probably here.
What are you talking about? The taskbar in windows10?....which can be made any dark/light shade of anything.

Or are you talking about something within Studio One?

If it's windows10...my desktop is solid black and my taskbar is set for a slightly less-black shade. Icons really pop nicely on the taskbar that way.
Old 14th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
What are you talking about? The taskbar in windows10?....
-edited-
No, up top. I thought that's called the Title bar. Anyway I found a page of tweaker apps at https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/7-best...ze-windows-10/ that got it close enough.

WAIT Having said that I don't want to alarm anyone... but I've decided to uninstall the app I edited out and go with the registry trick below. It's because of a minor disagreement with the EULA. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited by JoeyM; 15th September 2019 at 03:52 AM..
Old 14th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
No, up top. I thought that's called the Title bar. Anyway I found a donationware tweaker app called Winaero Tweaker (#3) that got it close enough.

I'm on a different machine right now before I go to bed but that's a relief it's not so distracting. I'm sure those other tweak tools in the link will be fun as well, but for now that got me where I wanted to be.
It has been quite a while since I played with the color of the Title Bar (yes, you have the right name) but I used a registry tweak to do it.

[ https://social.technet.microsoft.com...10itprogeneral ]

EDIT: on 17Sep
I found the exact article that I used for my modification.
[ https://www.top-password.com/blog/ch...in-windows-10/ ]

My one and only objective was to get the window with 'focus' (active) to be different than the others, and so this tweak was perfect for me. I chose a green that's similar to the MPAA General Audiences movie rating background color. The change has survived over many Win10 updates, including my change to the Dark Theme, so I think it's a good one.

Last edited by MediaGary; 17th September 2019 at 01:44 PM..
Old 14th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaGary View Post
It has been quite a while since I played with the color of the Title Bar (yes, you have the right name) but I used a registry tweak to do it.

[ https://social.technet.microsoft.com...10itprogeneral ]

My one and only objective was to get the window with 'focus' (active) to be different than the others, and so this tweak was perfect for me. I chose a green that's similar to the MPAA General Audiences movie rating background color. The change has survived over many Win10 updates, including my change to the Dark Theme, so I think it's a good one.
That's perfect. I didn't know if I had turned Aero on in doing it my way but I love the idea that an extra process isn't running that could go haywire on a holiday.

But you've piqued my interest in your choice MediaGary, could I beg you share the registry key so I can just plunk it in and see what that looks like? I assume all risk and have so many backups it would air out their fleas if I rolled one back anyway

Last edited by JoeyM; 17th September 2019 at 05:44 AM.. Reason: spell check went so far
Old 15th September 2019
Lives for gear

If you don't mind me sharing, for Windows 10 x64, changing that one key (ColorPrevalence) from 0 to 1 makes the list look like this:

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM]
"Composition"=dword:00000001
"UseDpiScaling"=dword:00000000
"AccentColor"=dword:ffd77800
"ColorPrevalence"=dword:00000001
"ColorizationGlassAttribute"=dword:00000001
"ColorizationColor"=dword:c40078d7
"ColorizationColorBalance"=dword:00000059
"ColorizationAfterglow"=dword:c40078d7
"ColorizationAfterglowBalance"=dword:0000000a
"ColorizationBlurBalance"=dword:00000001
"EnableWindowColorization"=dword:00000000
I'll save this exported key and click it into my Windows 10 machines because it does the trick, although it's a blue heading up there. That's still much better.
If anyone knows what to enter for color or if there's a different place to change it, do tell. I'd like a dark gray like in Photoshop or even match the color of S1.

And disclaimer to anyone, use that at your own risk, it's only posted for convenience. To use this just copy/paste this into Notepad and save as any title with extension .reg and click it into the registry. Much less annoying!
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

I like this little tip.
I've tried putting various colours though as hex in the key's value but always get the same blue.
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post
I like this little tip.
I've tried putting various colours though as hex in the key's value but always get the same blue.
Ahh, I know this, almost. Once you click that registry in you have to reboot, then one step is done.

On to the next step...

Last edited by JoeyM; 17th September 2019 at 05:46 AM..
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
That's perfect. I didn't know if I had turned Arero on in doing it my way but I love the idea that an extra process isn't running that cold go haywire on a holiday.

But you've piqued my interest in your choice MediaGary, could I beg you share the registry key so I can just plunk it in and see what that looks like? I assume all risk and have so many backups it would air out their fleas if I rolled one back anyway
Sorry for the long delay in replying. I see you've done some work already on this.

I found the exact article that I used for my modification.
[ https://www.top-password.com/blog/ch...in-windows-10/ ]

As you can see, it was a little 'backward' in that you directly choose the color of the active title bar in a nice Windows GUI, but you have to edit the registry for the inactive color. I chose grey for that.

Sorry for the misleading link initially provided in my other post. It took a while for the history of what I had done with title bar colors to percolate up to the top because I'm busy fighting a Win10 problem with DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION for my SAS drives under my Areca RAID controller.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search