The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Hardware FX as inserts and I/O , S1 vs Pro Tools
Old 7th September 2019
Lives for gear

Hardware FX as inserts and I/O , S1 vs Pro Tools (solved )

Long time Pro Tools user who recently purchased Studio One 4.5.3 as an additional DAW

But I have run into an issue. Perhaps I should and will be using S1 support but I thought perhaps if some one here is familiar with both PT and S1 you might have a suggestion

I am trying to use my outboard hardware FX like I do In PT but I am running into a routing issue. I can't get the I/O matrix in S1 to do what the I/O matrix in PT does ,,,and get my hardware FX to work in Studio One ( know about the

I use and Avid Omni which has only four analog audio inputs via audio jacks , channels 1-4 But has an audio DB 25 connector as well for audio outputs 1-8

So I have both a Bricasti M7 which I use via AES digital I/O and are on channels 5&6 in the PT matrix
I have a tube Compressor (3 U) which I use analog via the analog channels 3&4 in the I/O matrix

So the M7 goes out of the Omni via channels 1 & 2 on the DB25 digital output cables 1&2 to the M7 and comes into the Omni from the M7 via the AES XLR input 1 & 2 connector on the Omni . However these show in the PT I/O matrix as channels 5 & 6 (M7) in both the output and input tabs and are under the AES designation in the matrix

The 3U compressor is using channels 3 & 4 in the matrix. The 3U outputs come into the Omni from the 3U on the analog input jacks 3 & 4 and out of the Omni into the 3U via the the DB 25 cables 1 &2 These both show up as input 3&4 and output 3&4 in the PT I/O matrix as pictured below

In S 1 this is the default I/O matrix

But when I try to set this up in Pipeline Xt it just peggs all the meters in a feedback loop (I am guessing because the input and output signals ar on the same channels ?????? But I am at a loss as to why it works in PT but not S1
Any thoughts

Last edited by KevWind; 4 weeks ago at 04:45 AM..
Old 8th September 2019
Lives for gear

206 views and no replies
I guess my situation is unique enough that I will have to search elsewhere
I guess S1 support of the S1 forum
Old 8th September 2019
Would be interesting to see what you get with the physical i/o unplugged.

Pop a screen shot of you pipeline plugin too.
Old 8th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
206 views and no replies
I guess my situation is unique enough that I will have to search elsewhere
I guess S1 support of the S1 forum
I don't work in PT but in S1 my multichannel interface (RME) don't share any inputs & outputs inside the matrix. So my Main Out is channel 1&2, my HW Send/Return loop is Output/Input 7&8 (In Pipeline plug-in it is the same 7&8 I/O).
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

Hey thanks for the replies I do not know what I was doing to get feedback loop, but I went back in and reconfigured everything but I finally got it working. I did have to select the the send and return in Pipeline to just be either the M7 or the 3U for both send and return

Any way it is working just the same as it does in PT (except of course you have to load pipeline, as opposed to having the I/O selection already in the track inserts window)

Last edited by KevWind; 9th September 2019 at 02:07 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm always harping on about macros and again here they would come in useful for you.
If you don't want to manually add and configure a pipeline insert each time, you can make a macro that will add a pre-configured hardware insert with one key-press:

1. Set your pipeline send and return up on any channel for one device and store it as a preset.

2. Add a new macro button (open the macro toolbar and right click an existing button, choose New Button).

3. Right click that new button then choose Assign>New Macro, then find Add Insert for Selected.. in the left pane and add it.

4. Double click it in the right hand pane and you'll see another set of dropdowns.
Click the Device radio button and choose Pipeline mono or stereo, then you can choose your preset.

Now when you click that macro button it will add your configured pipeline insert to the selected channel.

You can assign that macro to a key command if you prefer, or to a hardware control button.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I did have to select the the send and return in Pipeline to just be either the M7 or the 3U for both send and return
Yes of course, it's an insert.
You send signal to a processor and bring the signal back from that processor.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post
Yes of course, it's an insert.
You send signal to a processor and bring the signal back from that processor.
Apparently I was not clear in my post. Yes obviously you have to send and return the signal. What I meant was at first, I did not realize that I had to make that selection on the Pipeline plugin GUI itself , unlike PT where there is no hardware send and return plug in , and it is automatically handled when you configure the I/O matrix
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Ahhh.. Yes fair play.

Don't forget to ping your devices using the spanner icon then hit auto and it'll adjust for the delay on that channel.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post
Ahhh.. Yes fair play.

Don't forget to ping your devices using the spanner icon then hit auto and it'll adjust for the delay on that channel.
Hey thanks "spanner" cross the pond for wrench, yes ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Oh, yes indeed, wrench!

(We use wrench as well, spanner I use fondly because for my generation it was an affectionate way of calling someone an idiot)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search