The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How do you rate the defaul plugins in SO?
Old 4th September 2019
How do you rate the defaul plugins in SO?

I'm still on Studio One Producer 3.5 or so. I might upgrade to 4 in July or thereabouts. Almost certain I won't cough up what they want for their paid plugs.

Anyway...how do you rate the default plugins in Studio One? Anything you think they should add as part of their included plugs? Any of the included free plugs you think are outstanding?

Thanks
Old 4th September 2019
Lives for gear

I got Studio One 4 Pro late last year (good old Black Friday, eh?!). It was recommended to me as I wasn't getting on brilliantly with Reaper (nothing against Reaper- I just didn't click with it enough to make it transparent for my composing/recording).

I've just finished my first effort at a full track mix (in a few years..) and found the plug-ins about the best I've used for bundled tools with a DAW. Really easy to use and great presets to start from. They aren't all big on character, but certainly very powerful tools to get the job done. Easy to use and there's quite a comprehensive group too that will cover most of your needs for mixing and mastering. Also the console emulation you can chuck on busses and the master channel is a nice touch.
Old 4th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by the donal View Post
I got Studio One 4 Pro late last year (good old Black Friday, eh?!). It was recommended to me as I wasn't getting on brilliantly with Reaper (nothing against Reaper- I just didn't click with it enough to make it transparent for my composing/recording).

I've just finished my first effort at a full track mix (in a few years..) and found the plug-ins about the best I've used for bundled tools with a DAW. Really easy to use and great presets to start from. They aren't all big on character, but certainly very powerful tools to get the job done. Easy to use and there's quite a comprehensive group too that will cover most of your needs for mixing and mastering. Also the console emulation you can chuck on busses and the master channel is a nice touch.
Yeah I agree basically. Do you think any of the Fat Channel bundled plugins have any character? They have certain modeled ones in the bundled Fat Channel stuff, so they no doubt want to reflect what they are modeling. LA2A model is there, for example.
Old 4th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
Yeah I agree basically. Do you think any of the Fat Channel bundled plugins have any character? They have certain modeled ones in the bundled Fat Channel stuff, so they no doubt want to reflect what they are modeling. LA2A model is there, for example.
You know- I've not used them so much yet (I've just been using specific plug-ins in the insert block). To be honest, I'm that out of practice with mixing, I'm really currently just using eq to sculpt space for each part and compression where I need it (plus reverb) and a free exciter I got (plus the mixtool for flipping phase where I've double mic'ed guitars). Ie trying not to add too much in and spanner the process!!

I'll have a play over the next few days and let you know.
Old 4th September 2019
Quote:
You know- I've not used them so much yet (I've just been using specific plug-ins in the insert block). To be honest, I'm that out of practice with mixing, I'm really currently just using eq to sculpt space for each part and compression where I need it (plus reverb) and a free exciter I got (plus the mixtool for flipping phase where I've double mic'ed guitars). Ie trying not to add too much in and spanner the process!!

I'll have a play over the next few days and let you know.
Great, interested to know what people like. I mixed a bit last year but due to work you know...

Anyway, I find I use the Mixtool as a way to get the very first balance of a mix dialed in. I really like the ProEq. It's very simple and well laid out (as seem to be most of the SO plugs). The Compressor is very straight forward and well set out.

I wish the plugs had more of a reference so that you can see the difference between the input level and the output (for example after you've made some Eq adjustments. It'd be handy.

I'd also like to see a dedicated D-esser.

Not 100% sure how accurate their 'clones' are in the Fat Channel.

I plan on giving the Convolution Reverb IR thing a go. I've never used one before.

Overall, I think the default plugs are well laid out, do a good job and are pretty easy to use.

Next year I'll be hitting the Pipeline plugin quite a bit, as I bought a bit of hardware recently. So I wonder if the Pipeline in SO4 is any more useful than the SO3 one...

Old 4th September 2019
Lives for gear

Unless I'm missing something, I can't find a dedicated enhancer/exciter in the bundled plugs. I downloaded the 1208 Reviber yesterday to add a bit of zing to tracks- it helped with electric and acoustic guitars just to lift their presence. Threw a bit on the whole mix too again just to add a bit of top end sparkle.

For Reverb, to be honest, I'm a big fan of Valhalla Vintage Verb (with 2C Breeze following)- it's so musical it pretty much goes on as standard. I have Valhalla Delay and Ubermod too- great plugins.

De-Essing is something I've never really used to be honest. Though for my own purposes, I rarely sing, so it's not such a priority for me.

Pipeline is outside my experience (unless I get round to plugging my DP/2 into the interface setup- should really do that at some point).

But completely agree- a fantastic set of built in plugs.

I'll try fat channel on the acoustic guitars in the linked track below (there's a lot going on in mids though, so it might be a pointless exercise)

https://soundcloud.com/atomsun/letting-go
Old 4th September 2019
Nice track by the way, great playing

Old 5th September 2019
Does anyone know what digital scale (e.g -12, -18, -22 etc) the "0" on the Presonus VU meter represents?
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nice track by the way, great playing

Thanks!

I've had a play with Fat Channel on an acoustic part and the different variations definitely make a difference to the sound- there is character in there- it sounds a touch thicker with them instead of the standard.

There are differences to how they work too- each variant has it's own differences control wise which will affect how much or little you can fine tune the effect and when messing with the tube/FET emulations they did sound different in the way the compression 'pumps' the sound.

The difference between having all the controls on the standard, rather than- for example- input gain, peak reduction and output gain on the LA2A emulation changes the way you approach and craft the sound. The same with the eq's- you don't have the same controls for freq, q and gain as you would on the standard, but you get the character of that emulation too. I can't say if they are accurate as I don't know the original units so well, but there is a definite difference in the tone.

If I can get it working, I'll try a screen/audio grab and upload it- might take a few days though.

Edit- kind of wished I'd played around with it before working on the main mix now!! It does sound ince. But I also had a lot of mids to contend with- electric piano, synth and acoustics (with the upper mids of the bass too) all to balance, while leaving enough space for the lead guitar.

I'd say consider upgrading- PreSonus have good packages and Black Friday isn't THAT far away- that's when I bought S14 Pro for half price. An upgrade will be a fraction of this.

Hopefully I'll be able to afford a few decent additional plugins by then- I'd love the Sonnox Native Suite. Some great tools there.
Old 6th September 2019
Quote:
I'd say consider upgrading- PreSonus have good packages and Black Friday isn't THAT far away- that's when I bought S14 Pro for half price. An upgrade will be a fraction of this.
Yeah I'll probably upgrade down the track. The upgrade price isn't too bad, Black Friday or not.

Thing is, I'm not going to be able to do any recording until around September/ Oct next year. So there's no hurry.

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Does anyone know what digital scale (e.g -12, -18, -22 etc) the "0" on the Presonus VU meter represents?
It references whatever your audio interface is calibrated to, which in turn represents the headroom available on that interface.
So the dbFS meters in S1 are relative to the connected audio device.
Mine has hot outputs so I'd get the same loudness at -2 on the S1 meter as you'd get at 0.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post
It references whatever your audio interface is calibrated to,
What's your interface? And how do you calibrate an audio interface, generally, for the DAW to reference?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Most of them you can't actually calibrate yourself, they have a fixed reference point, which is usually 0dBvu = -18dBfs.
That's an average level remember, and in terms of power output, that means the converters/signal will clip at +22dBu.
That means they're giving you 18dB of headroom.

The reason there'll be clipping at +22dBu and not +18dBu is because the level is calibrated to 0dBvu as +4dBu (which = 1.23v).
They use +4 because you get a more accurate reading from that value or something.

Some will be far worse. The original RME Babyface would clip at +12dBu on the inputs and +15dBu on the output, so you should check your interface specs.

My unit doesn't have a quoted calibration reference point but because I know the output level I can easily work it out from that.
Its max output is +24dBu therefore if I subtract 4 I know my unit (which is a Cranborne Audio 500R8) is calibrated to show -20dBfs in the daw at 0dBvu.
This means most interfaces will run out of headroom 2dB before I do, which is nice.
Old 4 weeks ago
Old 3 weeks ago
Is there a single human being out there who forked out for the paid Fat Channel plugins?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is there a single human being out there who forked out for the paid Fat Channel plugins?
I've been watching some vids on them on YouTube (partly to get a feel for how some of the classic emulations work that come bundled with Studio One 4. The Pultec Eq just threw me at first!). To be honest, if i'm a bit more affluent around Black Friday time, I will strongly consider them. The extra character from these emulated plug-ins does make a difference. It would also be nice to have them split out as individual VSTs but Fat Channel is a great plugin to use that covers a lot of areas in mixing anyways.

I'd also like to get the Sonnox Native Bundle-that comes in quite decently priced around discount time too. We shall see- I've less than no money at the mo...
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
I've been watching some vids on them on YouTube (partly to get a feel for how some of the classic emulations work that come bundled with Studio One 4. The Pultec Eq just threw me at first!). To be honest, if i'm a bit more affluent around Black Friday time, I will strongly consider them. The extra character from these emulated plug-ins does make a difference. It would also be nice to have them split out as individual VSTs but Fat Channel is a great plugin to use that covers a lot of areas in mixing anyways.

I'd also like to get the Sonnox Native Bundle-that comes in quite decently priced around discount time too. We shall see- I've less than no money at the mo...
Those paid fat Channel plugs, as a bundle are a hefty $500 odd dollars. To be honest, I don't really know much about the quality of the emulations.

I do find working with the default SO plugs very easy. I like 'em.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Those paid fat Channel plugs, as a bundle are a hefty $500 odd dollars. To be honest, I don't really know much about the quality of the emulations.

I do find working with the default SO plugs very easy. I like 'em.
In reference to quality of the emulations, I couldn't tell you as I've not used either the originals or other emulations like UAD or Waves.

However, my limited use does tell me that I can hear a definite character in them that makes me think it's worth using them (ie the ones that come as part of Studio One 4 Pro). They all work differently and will be suitable for different tasks (ie drums, bass, vox, ac.guitar etc). But it's a nice musical character that they impart.

500 GBP or USD is a lot for the complete bundle, so it's very much your usage that would dictate whether you consider it worth spending for the additional plug-ins. Black Friday sales brings things down to half price generally (how I got SO4 Pro in the first place) or you can just get the vintage/modern set or just a few individuals should you wish to go this way.

Many sets of decent vintage bundles aren't cheap- UAD requires hardware (a card or breakout box for processing) to run, which is an additional cost. Waves gear isn't cheap at the best of times. But it's all about how you use the software, what you are trying to achieve and whether you see it being worth paying the money being charged for them.
Old 3 weeks ago
Yeah you're dead right. I know quality bundles tend to cost a wad. I was just thinking that if these SO paid plugs had have been really awesome....like say Fabfilter (for which you hear a lot of praise)...then I would have heard about them more.

Anyway. No biggy to me. I was just curious to ask the SO scene here.

I started on Studio One 2 and did the updates at low cost when they went to 3. Still haven't gone to 4 yet. Maybe will, maybe won't.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
I won't buy them no matter how good they are. They are just too dang expensive for a "plugin" that only works in one DAW. There are plenty of really good non-proprietary plugins out there and most at a better price.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpsbb View Post
I won't buy them no matter how good they are. They are just too dang expensive for a "plugin" that only works in one DAW. There are plenty of really good non-proprietary plugins out there and most at a better price.
Yeah fair enough. I wonder if they can be demoed for 30 days or something. I sure would like to see how good they are for, as you said, a set of 1 DAW plugs.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
I wonder if they can be demoed for 30 days or something.
Nope.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
They are supposed to be pretty nice and the general consensus on the PreSonus forums was that they would sell a WHOLE lot more of them if they lowered the price to something in reach of more people. If they went on the "Waves $29 sale" from time to time, I would probably eventually grab them all over time.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpsbb View Post
They are supposed to be pretty nice and the general consensus on the PreSonus forums was that they would sell a WHOLE lot more of them if they lowered the price to something in reach of more people. If they went on the "Waves $29 sale" from time to time, I would probably eventually grab them all over time.
I guess they are not that old so maybe down the track they'll drop the price for specials or drop the price completely. I'd check in on the Presonus forums a lot more if the site was a little more user friendly. But it logs you off each session and you have to sign in again and click 'are you a human' tabs etc more often than I can really stand.
Old 2 weeks ago
The Fat Channel eq's and compressors sound great, I use those a lot, just got the blue opto tube comp they're giving away today and it sounds very good too.
Old 2 weeks ago
Yeah I just set that up too. Haven't used it yet apart from having a look.
Old 2 weeks ago
I wish those paid plugins were mid/side capable, having the option of having a hi pass filter instead of the available bandpass would be nice too.

Also add side chain capabilities.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Yeah no side-chain at that price is just stupid. Another reason I don't like them that I forgot about.

Side-chain does work if you use them in your SL mixer though... baffling if you ask me... why in their mixers but not in their DAW???
Old 2 weeks ago
Yes! I don't get it too, I saw the screenshots at the website and I thought cool, sidechains at last but not on the DAW

Not to bash Presonus, the fat channel comps do sound great, I just think Mid/Side, side chains and a Hi Pass filter option would take those plugins to another level.
Old 2 weeks ago
I guess they want to sell more mixers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search