The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How do you rate the defaul plugins in SO?
Old 2nd October 2019
Late to the party here, but the pipeline plugin is significantly better in SO4 than SO3. I use it almost every day, not even to its fullest extent.
Old 2nd October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ripley View Post
Late to the party here, but the pipeline plugin is significantly better in SO4 than SO3. I use it almost every day, not even to its fullest extent.
I wanna know this too coz I'll be needing to use Pipeline a lot soon. As far as I can tell they included the ability to add a jpeg to the plugin so you can see what settings you had on your hardware unit. Not sure if it's anything more than that.

I doubt I'd even use that feature...you'd have to take a pic with your phone, email it or upload it to your DAW computer then go find it an attach it to the plugin. Seems a lot of work to me for not much gain.

How do you find Pipeline in SO3? No problem? At first I had no idea what I was doing. But once I realised what I was doing it ran ok.

I've never tried it for multiple hardware units yet though. Do you use it for multiple units? How does it go?
Old 2nd October 2019
It's usable in 3 for sure, I used to do it all the time. In 4 it auto detects the latency and adjusts for it at the press of a button, you don't have to do it manually. I don't use the photo thing either, but I'm realizing I should after I got asked to change some things on a mix a week later...

I use it for multiple pieces of hardware all the time, never had an issue.
Old 4th October 2019
Does anyone know if the SO Console Shaper thing...is that supposed to almost be like some kind of analogue summing tool?

Do any of you use it?
Old 4th October 2019
Gear Maniac
yes it is and there is a pretty recent thread here about it.
Old 4th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpsbb View Post
yes it is and there is a pretty recent thread here about it.
Oh yeah? Right. Well I've never used it, so I better go find that thread and see what the word on the, I mean, in the thread is.

But is that thread about the built in Console Shaper?
Old 4th October 2019
Gear Maniac
It's discussed there, yes.
Old 7th October 2019
Here for the gear
S1 LA2A plugin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
Yeah I agree basically. Do you think any of the Fat Channel bundled plugins have any character? They have certain modeled ones in the bundled Fat Channel stuff, so they no doubt want to reflect what they are modeling. LA2A model is there, for example.
I've put the S1 version of the LA2A up against the Waves CLA 2A and also the Arturia version using them
as a bus comp. The S1 holds its own with both IMO - LM
Old 8th October 2019
Lives for gear

That Groove Delay is cool! I've got my (un)fair share of BPM delays around but this is really fun and sounds great

Hit Preset, tweak Beatlength knob, pretty much there!
Old 8th October 2019
Gear Maniac
Yeah the delay plug is pretty nice. I get decent results with the plain reverb when I want something quick and dirty while tracking vocals. Of course it gets replaced in the mix, but it's quick and easy to dial in a useful tracking verb.

The convolution reverb does a good job too. I splurged on the spring reverbs IR pack when it went on sale. I like it a lot, but usually I just reach for the simplicity of the Softube Spring plugin. I tend to get really sidetracked when there are too many options.
Old 8th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrieMinson View Post
I've put the S1 version of the LA2A up against the Waves CLA 2A and also the Arturia version using them
as a bus comp. The S1 holds its own with both IMO - LM
That's pretty good. I remember using or demoing the Waves LA2A a long time ago and thinking geez this makes stuff sound pretty good. So I'll have to have another look at the SO version.
Old 8th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
That Groove Delay is cool! I've got my (un)fair share of BPM delays around but this is really fun and sounds great

Hit Preset, tweak Beatlength knob, pretty much there!
I generally really like the default SO stuff. I wouldn't go as far as claiming to be an expert on commenting on its sonic makeup but I would say their plugins are very user friendly and kind of honest...that's how I'd describe em
Old 8th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpsbb View Post
Yeah the delay plug is pretty nice. I get decent results with the plain reverb when I want something quick and dirty while tracking vocals. Of course it gets replaced in the mix, but it's quick and easy to dial in a useful tracking verb.

The convolution reverb does a good job too. I splurged on the spring reverbs IR pack when it went on sale. I like it a lot, but usually I just reach for the simplicity of the Softube Spring plugin. I tend to get really sidetracked when there are too many options.
I just redeemed a free Softube TSAR reverb + some other trimmed down Softube stuff from a Focusrite purchase I made 3 years ago. never got round to redeeming the free stuff, so that's pretty good they are still honoured.

I was playing with the TSAR reverb...really liked it.

Haven't tried the Spring
Old 8th October 2019
Gear Maniac
Yeah even the lite version TSAR is a really nice verb. I demoed it and the Spring plugin at the same time and decided TSAR didn't really bring anything to the table that I didn't already have in H-Reverb so I went with Spring instead. I pretty much use it just for guitars, which it excels at.
Old 8th October 2019
Lives for gear

For really good springs I just hooked-up with AudioThing Springs; super happy with it. It can sound non-musical (terrible) as well, but at least 5 preset models are top shelf and 10 real inspiring, which is something I'd never previously given a thought to spring reverbs. Get it and run the trial is all I say. The Pinched presets are sometimes phenomonal.

We've got it good!
Old 8th October 2019
Gear Maniac
Cool. I'll check that out. The Softube has a slider that simulates kicking your guitar amp for that thunderous crash. Fun to play with but I've never actually used it.
Old 9th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just redeemed a free Softube TSAR reverb + some other trimmed down Softube stuff from a Focusrite purchase I made 3 years ago. never got round to redeeming the free stuff, so that's pretty good they are still honoured.

I was playing with the TSAR reverb...really liked it.

Haven't tried the Spring
Ha! Not THAT long, but it took me a while to redeem that too. I haven't used any of them yet though. I'm again wondering how the Dwarmer S73 and TSAR-1R are. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 9th October 2019
Lives for gear

Has the Focusrite been a good interface? I need another one after 15 years of Fireface 800. All I care about is A/D quality and in this time I'd imagine someone has converters at least as good. I just need 2-4 phantom ins and the rest is icing on the cake. But my budget is in the low end. I would have set Audient as my goal because in theory it's exactly what i need, but "issues" keep angering others so I'll stay away.

Thanks in advance!
Old 9th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by BezowinZ View Post
Ha! Not THAT long, but it took me a while to redeem that too. I haven't used any of them yet though. I'm again wondering how the Dwarmer S73 and TSAR-1R are. Thanks for the reminder.
The trimmed down Softube Drawmer doesn't have full multiband control...it's more like a preset...so it may either work or not for your mix.
Old 9th October 2019
Quote:
Has the Focusrite been a good interface? I need another one after 15 years of Fireface 800. All I care about is A/D quality and in this time I'd imagine someone has converters at least as good. I just need 2-4 phantom ins and the rest is icing on the cake. But my budget is in the low end. I would have set Audient as my goal because in theory it's exactly what i need, but "issues" keep angering others so I'll stay away.

Thanks in advance!
My Focusrite Scarlet 2i4 was pretty good for me in that it worked with few problems. I never really used its preamps beyond testing mics. It served as a basic unit for me doing stuff like running monitors so I could watch movies, being the interface for my DAW while I was away from my home studio for long periods.

It's ok. I recently replaced it with the RME Babyface Pro.
Old 11th October 2019
About the Studio One stock plugins...I think the Redlight distortion plug is pretty ok. Anyone like it? Hate it?
Old 11th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
My Focusrite Scarlet 2i4 was pretty good for me in that it worked with few problems. I never really used its preamps beyond testing mics. It served as a basic unit for me doing stuff like running monitors so I could watch movies, being the interface for my DAW while I was away from my home studio for long periods.

It's ok. I recently replaced it with the RME Babyface Pro.
Thanks for that; I don't want to derail the topic, but yeah that's what I'm looking for on both counts. A universal box to get me out of a pinch all the time and a nice one as well. It's nice the RME is under $1000, and that does sound exactly what would replace the Fireface (and force me to learn Total Mix finally ), but $750... ouch, that's going to take a miracle.

However, miracles happen so I hope you all wish me well. Dream until my dream comes true
Old 11th October 2019
Quote:
Thanks for that; I don't want to derail the topic, but yeah that's what I'm looking for on both counts. A universal box to get me out of a pinch all the time and a nice one as well. It's nice the RME is under $1000, and that does sound exactly what would replace the Fireface (and force me to learn Total Mix finally ), but $750... ouch, that's going to take a miracle.

However, miracles happen so I hope you all wish me well. Dream until my dream comes true
Yep, that's 750 U.S too...so in NZ dollars over a grand I suppose. When my studio is up and running in Sept/ Oct 2020 (home studio) I'll be needing to record piano in a different room to my DAW...and the RME lets you monitor with eq and reverb in real time...no latency so that's a big reason for getting the Babyface.

I can use a 2nd laptop with the Babyface Pro like a mobile, easy to move around unit...but not sacrifice any quality. Plus Totalmix is great and the preamps are sure to be clean, 'boosty' enough and nice.

When I'm not using it to record, the Babyface will control my TV audio...laptop connected to TV with HDMi...laptop to Babyface...to speakers for movies, rugby, cricket etc etc.

It's a chunk of change...but oh well, I'll be dead in 30 or 40 years or so (and that's if all goes well!), so...hey hey!

Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
About the Studio One stock plugins...I think the Redlight distortion plug is pretty ok. Anyone like it? Hate it?
I use it when I need a really fizzy tone that I can high pass and blend with the original. It's been great for that.
Old 3 weeks ago
Yeah, like a lot of the saturation plugins, it seems ok when used in moderation. I have the free Softube one too. They are both useful and ok I think.
Old 2 weeks ago
I just upgraded to 4.5. I knew there wasn't really anything in there that would improve things for what I do. I'm 95% recording real stuff one at a time. But I upgraded anyway. Maybe it'll be more efficient on Windows or something. Dunno. Anyway, I think that'll be it for me. Most of the new features they include these days seem to be helpful for productions that I don't do, so 4.5 will be where I stop.

Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
The trend has been that each major upgrade focuses on one specific target. 4.0 was basically there to support the Atom controller and "producers" (EDM/beat makers/etc). 4.5 was really just a release that threw in a slew of long-requested minor features like phase and trim on each channel.

Next major upgrade will target another audience... like maybe better support for doing video soundtracks. Those guys have been ignored for a while and are getting pretty vocal about it.

So who knows. You'll just have to wait and see. Sometimes it is just worth it to upgrade for the bug fixes and to help support further development and fixes.
Old 2 weeks ago
Yes that's right. I just record with microphones basically, so don't need or want to stay on the merry-go-round forever. if it runs fine on Windows (which v3 did) I'm ok.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Yeah there's no shame in taking the "if ain't broke..." approach.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'll just add that the recent upgrades are so stable and well implemented, obviously they've got a very good team of geniuses coding this up.

Even Sample One is so usable once you get through a painless learning curve; we didn't need Kontakt built in, just a way to make simple work of using the samples we all have buried in our archives. I'd love to see Sample One given another small improvement with -edited- easier access to the little Instruments you make with it, like a dropdown of a specified place to get to your instrument quick- It might be there and I don't see it, so I'll go see

-update- I'm pleased to see, once I located the samples I didn't need to re-save the connection to the folder that held the samples, it remembered it. Very cool

Last edited by JoeyM; 2 weeks ago at 10:29 PM.. Reason: clarify: access your own samples/instruments

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search