The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Side-Chain/Ducking Compression in Studio One 4 - w SD3
Old 29th August 2019
Lives for gear

Side-Chain/Ducking Compression in Studio One 4 - w SD3

PT was easy to do but I dont know how to do it in Studio One 4. This is going to be 2 part...

1 - How do you do simple side chain compression. The basic w a kick and bass guitar? How do you route it and what else needs to be done?

2 - More specific. If I am wanting to do ducking w SD3 and a bass track. Here is what I am working with.

- I use SD3 and I mix in SD3 and run to a 2 track in S1.
- I do an eq on that track
- I send a buss to a drum buss for parallel compression
- I eq and compress there
- I mix to taste and adjust as needed.

How would I do this where I would want the kick to duck with the bass? I assume Id have to run at least 1 kick for signal to its own track but I dont know how to do that. I never routed drums individually but I should start.

3 - Will this cause latency issues?
Old 30th August 2019
Lives for gear

Can anyone help?
Old 30th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap217 View Post
Can anyone help?
I'm certain they will. I'm a relative newb on this myself but the weekends are good for answers here.
Old 1st September 2019
Lives for gear

Hi,
Pretty simple once you know where the routing box is for each channel (above the pan field).
Couple of ways:
Clicking the outputs box gives you every available routing destination for that channel.
If you scroll down you'll see 'sidechains' at the bottom.
Hover on this and you'll see all the sidechainable inserts for each channel.

This will reroute the source audio output though, so if you want to sidechain without creating a duplicate channel just add a send and select the sidechain insert as before from the send destination list.
Old 1st September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post
Hi,
Pretty simple once you know where the routing box is for each channel (above the pan field).
Couple of ways:
Clicking the outputs box gives you every available routing destination for that channel.
If you scroll down you'll see 'sidechains' at the bottom.
Hover on this and you'll see all the sidechainable inserts for each channel.

This will reroute the source audio output though, so if you want to sidechain without creating a duplicate channel just add a send and select the sidechain insert as before from the send destination list.
I dont see sidechains. Is this in sd3 or studio one?

And if I send to multiple outputs and some w inserts, will there be latency?
Old 1st September 2019
Lives for gear

I just re-read your post.
You're mixing in SD3 not Studio One.
I'm sure you have your reasons for doing that but I don't understand your process.

If you want to use Studio One's channel routing and mixing facilities you need to be mixing in Studio One.
Old 3rd September 2019
Lives for gear

I figured it out. To send just the kick you have to select out 3/4 (no mono options). Then the key is inside of studio one, you have to EXPAND the instrument in the instruments tab. Then that gives you all the tracks. Select 3/4 and the new track auto pops up. Then I send pre fader to a bus track and insert a compressor (has to be a specific compressor, not all compressors have sidechains) then select sidechain and the track to signal it.
Old 8th September 2019
You can also use the Aux sends for side chaining, scroll down, the side chains menu will display all the plug ins you can use to side chain what you want.
You do the same thing in the output section of the track, useful when you don't want that particular track to put out any sound.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search