The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Can S1 chord track trigger the arpeggiator?
Old 30th July 2019
Gear Nut

Can S1 chord track trigger the arpeggiator?

Hi there -- long term S1 user here (currently have S1 v4.5.2). I want to create a backing track of arpeggios to fit a song structure ... but I am not a keyboard player. In S1, I created a Chord Track for the song. I also created a virtual instrument track that is intended to capture MIDI arpeggio notes generated by the S1 Arpeggiator as triggered by the S1 Chord Track.

This concept sounds simple ... but is it possible? Been watching YouTube videos and scouring search results to no avail. Can anyone offer advice toward making this process work? Thank you!
Old 30th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukiah Bass View Post
Hi there -- long term S1 user here (currently have S1 v4.5.2). I want to create a backing track of arpeggios to fit a song structure ... but I am not a keyboard player. In S1, I created a Chord Track for the song. I also created a virtual instrument track that is intended to capture MIDI arpeggio notes generated by the S1 Arpeggiator as triggered by the S1 Chord Track.

This concept sounds simple ... but is it possible? Been watching YouTube videos and scouring search results to no avail. Can anyone offer advice toward making this process work? Thank you!
Put your arpeggiator on your virtual instrument track, then on your chord track inspector, under "Instrument" on top, choose the track which has the arpeggiator loaded.
Attached Thumbnails
Can S1 chord track trigger the arpeggiator?-s1.png  
Old 31st July 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgM View Post
Put your arpeggiator on your virtual instrument track, then on your chord track inspector, under "Instrument" on top, choose the track which has the arpeggiator loaded.
Thank you. Actually, that process is what I did. Perhaps the confusion is what to do next?

I populated the Presence track with eighth notes (all C) thinking the arpeggiator would automatically convert those to arpeggios according to a selected pattern. Unfortunately I'm hearing the same note repeated. At least the computer is literally interpreting my command (the wrong one!).
Old 31st July 2019
You're right, the chord track sends the chords to the instrument track but seems to bypass the midi inserts like arpeggiator... Should probably report a ticket on this
Old 31st July 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
You're right, the chord track sends the chords to the instrument track but seems to bypass the midi inserts like arpeggiator... Should probably report a ticket on this
I posted the same question/experience on the Presonus Q&A site. I'll share here if anything pops up. Getting this feature to work the way I want would be a tremendously useful tool!

https://answers.presonus.com/42788/c...e-midi-content
Old 1st August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukiah Bass View Post
I posted the same question/experience on the Presonus Q&A site. I'll share here if anything pops up. Getting this feature to work the way I want would be a tremendously useful tool!

https://answers.presonus.com/42788/c...e-midi-content
On your instrument track, on the inspector on your left under "Follow chords" change to "Parallel", then the 8 notes you've drawn should adapt to the chords.

Old 1st August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
On your instrument track, on the inspector on your left under "Follow chords" change to "Parallel", then the 8 notes you've drawn should adapt to the chords.

Very interesting, thanks for the tip! What happens now is the first quarter note of a one-bar chord sounds off the whole chord while beats 2-4 repeat the same root note. And so on for different chords on the Chord Track.

Arpeggiator is set to 1/4 notes. Selecting any pattern does not alter the Chord/Note/Note/Note sequence at all.

I've been studying command options and am coming up short. This one doesn't want to be solved the way I want it to go. I do appreciate your interest and suggestions!
Old 4th August 2019
Gear Nut

Status report: no luck yet. I was able to get Studio One's chord track to generate and record chords. Had to send the chord track input into one virtual instrument, then export that result into a second virtual instrument, which was able to record the MIDI notes for each chord. But having zero success making chord track trigger the arpeggiator.

Moreover, in manual mode by inputting chords with a MIDI keyboard, arpeggiator insists on playing the entire chord in the first beat and then arpeggiates single notes for the balance of the bar. My goal is to hear only arpeggiated notes and no chords at all. So two swings and a miss. Too bad -- seems like such a simple result to achieve!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search