The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
96kHz - 32 buffer with quality reverb - doable in S1 now?
Old 28th July 2019
Lives for gear
96kHz - 32 buffer with quality reverb - doable in S1 now?

Without getting into any of the whys (please :-) I wonder has anyone had success with 96kHz 32 buffer setting (block size) in Studio one (1.1ms RTL) with quality reverbs?

I did a test recording tonight (at the end of a session) of two stereo tracks (Vocal dual capsule mic + stereo acoustic guitar) at this setting with 7th Heaven as the Reverb and then Fabfilter Pro-R. Each track had Fabfilter Q3 and C2 plugins as well as a Presonus stereo mono plugin on the Vocal one. CPU gauge was steady at 30% in both cases - no clicks or pops. Antelope Orion 2017 interface (Thunderbolt) - 2017 iMac 3.8GHz i5.

It has been mostly impossible to run either of those Reverbs in Logic at anything less than 96kHz, 256 buffer with Apogee Ensemble TB.

I will be testing the same thing with a couple of VIs and some more tracks playing tomorrow. If I can keep this going i might be able to give up on relying on interface internal DSP assisted FX for quick and small projects (90% of what I do now).
Old 29th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPower View Post
Without getting into any of the whys (please :-) I wonder has anyone had success with 96kHz 32 buffer setting (block size) in Studio one (1.1ms RTL) with quality reverbs?

I did a test recording tonight (at the end of a session) of two stereo tracks (Vocal dual capsule mic + stereo acoustic guitar) at this setting with 7th Heaven as the Reverb and then Fabfilter Pro-R. Each track had Fabfilter Q3 and C2 plugins as well as a Presonus stereo mono plugin on the Vocal one. CPU gauge was steady at 30% in both cases - no clicks or pops. Antelope Orion 2017 interface (Thunderbolt) - 2017 iMac 3.8GHz i5.

It has been mostly impossible to run either of those Reverbs in Logic at anything less than 96kHz, 256 buffer with Apogee Ensemble TB.

I will be testing the same thing with a couple of VIs and some more tracks playing tomorrow. If I can keep this going i might be able to give up on relying on interface internal DSP assisted FX for quick and small projects (90% of what I do now).
I don't have an answer, save for the routing strrategy other members have mentioned that used to offer more balanced CPU and I forget if it was busses or what. And since then CPU balance was supposedly improved, but unfortunately I won't be on it until a heat wave passes.

For now, which reverb is more efficient? I mean two 7th Heavens or two Pro-Rs in a quick & dirty test to see which goes to lower latency would be my street diagnostic.

But long term I SO want to use Rewire to link StudioOne to other Studio Ones for just such a situation, dedicated busses or whatever. At the moment I have more than one audio-over-LAN but they're all 32-bit and I'd have to be intoxicated to go near fiddling with that right now (but I'd use JBridge).

No shame in trying Reaper either, might be more efficient during ultra critical low latency tracking. Then move stems (or save to AAF) where it's more fun, S1
Old 29th July 2019
Lives for gear
Sadly day two was disappointing. CPU stress in Activity monitor, Studio One Performance Meter and istat all looked good and held steady at ~30%. Then at random times there would be a spike - sometimes seen on one of the meters - sometimes just heard. Regardless - even with only a couple of audio tracks this is still happening. I once again retreat to just using internal DSP on my interface (either Antelope or Apogee).

I have been tracking with DSP from Antelope for almost 3 years at ~0.4ms at 96kHz. Apogees new DSP FX give closer to 0.3ms. I can live with 1ms for acoustic guitars and vocals (96kHz/32buffer) but have yet to find a reliable configuration that can do it. I know I am a fringe user in this regard but :-)
Old 6th August 2019
Lives for gear

Yeah but you're comparing using DSP to native plugs, it's never going to be as good!
It's your computer that can't deliver that much data in that short a time, that's why there is dsp to get stability for latencies that low.

All those plugs you've got inserted are all adding latency and so you're finding out where the road meets the wall or whatever that saying is

If you compare another non-dsp setup to Studio One and they can do it but S1 can't then yeah, fair comparison, but what you're doing is the equivalent of comparing latency values of an Apollo using Unison plugs to a normal interface using uad plugs in their normal way.
It's simply not the same thing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search