The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
X-Touch Mix Remap/Template for your enjoyment!
Old 24th July 2019
Lives for gear

X-Touch Mix Remap/Template for your enjoyment!

When I first got the x-touch, I made a map more to see how it was done than to achieve anything specific - it was too complicated and based on imagined workflow rather than actual workflow.

I've made a couple of maps since then, the most recent posted here was close to what I wanted but I hadn't solved some of the problems inherent in the way some Studio One features are implemented.

You can get trapped in the Arrange Section and Marker Tracks for example when making macros, and some commands are not implemented at all such as being able to select a group with anything other than a mouse.

The map is designed around a particular workflow and window layout, so describing it only with words or command lists is not that informative, it makes more sense when you see the context.

'Less eyes, more ears' is the approach.
One of the best sonic upgrades you can get, and it's free!

The basic philosophy is to remove the S1 DAW mixer from the equation, as a reliance on it is the main factor in preventing a truly more console-like experience with a hardware controller.

This map will work with any controller that uses the Mackie Control protocol in Studio One.

You don't need a hardware controller to make use of many of the macros and ideas in the remap though, there are some handy features which for me should have been default behaviour, but the strength of Studio One is that it lets you redefine default behaviours and customise them in lots of interesting ways.

All the final files will be uploaded soon

Last edited by Quetz; 31st July 2019 at 11:23 PM.. Reason: Updated
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear

The map is done and ready and all files and macros are collated, I'm just finishing a short vid to make it easy for people to see what it actually does before they commit to trying it.

I think getting rid of the S1 mixer from your working environment is a really important step to using an MCU device to its full potential, and that's really what this map and associated S1 setup helps you do (if you want).

I know I've achieved what I want when working on a project is more hassle when the X-Touch isn't fired up.

I'm going to be really interested to see if people love this approach, hate it or are completely indifferent.
Old 24th June 2020
Here for the gear

Hi, I've seen ur post about remapping studio one. And you have made a dropbox for us to download. But it seems the link is dead.
I just found out that I can do a remapping in studio one, could you post a working link?
thanks a lot
Old 1st July 2020
Lives for gear

Hi mate,

Qmap became a much larger project than I had anticipated, and is now a paid-for product.
It started off as a really basic thing, but as I managed to add more and more features (many of which aren't available anywhere else!) it was necessary to completely re-design the controller layout, which then required a physical overlay, hence the cost.
It's just gone through a major revision to v2, but this is extremely recent so the files haven't been distributed yet and the website ( www.modernidiots.com ) hasn't been updated either.

I can give you a quick rundown of some of the juicy bits:
  • Adds a 2nd layer of plugin controls (encoders, encoder buttons and faders) to both the main unit and one extender (using Shift or Flip).
    This means you have 50 controls per plug with just the main unit and 98 per plug if you have an extender.
    (The two 'extra' controls on the main unit are the master fader and jogwheel).
    You can momentarily access the second layer by holding shift, or bring them up over the first layer using flip.
    When flipped the whole thing is reversed, so holding shift will momentarily bring up the first layer.
  • Jogwheel 'upgrade'.
    Using modifiers the jogwheel can now control clip gain, event start/end points, data zoom levels, midi velocity, marker navigation and also shift loops left and right.
  • You can choose to control send pan for individual slots either independently or linked to channel pan
  • Reduction (gate and comp) indicators on the encoder LEDs when holding Play if the plugin supports it.
  • Switch between mono and stereo modes for a track/channel with a button push, with an indicator LED on the controller.
  • Tons of slots for inserting pre-defined plugins and macros at the push of a button
  • Insert Overview that allows you to select the automation mode for each plugin direct from the controller.
  • Recall specific scenes, markers and sections at the push of a button

All modes are enhanced and have been streamlined with extra functions using Shift, so these are now the most comprehensive control modes on any controller anywhere - even the SSL Nucleus doesn't let you adjust send pan or prefader from the controller!!

There's plenty more but I don't want to bore you

Right now I'm compiling all the files for the different devices QMap supports (Mackie MCU and MCU Pro, Icon Qcon Pro X and X-Touch) and also converting all the midi mapping for mac.

The website will give you a decent enough overview but it will see a big change with all the new features updated.

The OSD has also been updated so the images you see on the website are not current - I've added some images below to show the new OSD and to give you an idea of how one of the extended modes looks/operates - the images show a setup with one extender on the left - if you only have a main unit then obviously the OSD will be half the width and also slimmer in height, as it doesn't need to show the extender plugin controls.

(This is Balance mode, that the controller defaults to when turned on and is the basic console mode - click the images to view larger):

Balance Default - shows pan and stereo/mono track state, but the pan values switch to volume when the faders are touched.

Hold Shift and volume remains on the faders (yellow) but you can now control input gain (blue) with the pots.

If you flip Balance mode, you'll get pan on the faders but the pots will set output bus routing.

If you want a more traditional flip mode (with the pots controlling volume), just hold shift when flipped.

Balance also has a sub-mode that you get to by simply pushing the 'Display Mode' button.
This gives you an overview/set of controls for the selected channel as well as that channel's send controls.
Because this mode only uses the main unit display even if you have an extender, there is a customisable 'blanking cover' to keep the OSD tidy (otherwise the controls on the right would be repeated on the left, which is annoying! - this applies to all modes/sub-modes that only use the main display)

Touch the faders to reveal the send destination names and levels.

Either Flip or press shift to reveal the second layer of send controls & send destinations with or without touching the faders (here I'm touching the faders to show send pan).

📝 Reply