The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studio One 4.5 Professional with price drop versus REAPER
Old 21st July 2019
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Studio One 4.5 Professional with price drop versus REAPER

I tried out Studio One 4 Professional, but before pulling the trigger, thought I'd try out REAPER. However, I just noticed Studio One 4.5 Professional dropped in price, so I'm trying to decide between that and REAPER. My cost for Studio One 4.5 Professional would be $200, since I have Artist. REAPER, of course, is $60. Any recommendations for a solid musician, but a relative newbie at recording? I'm on Windows 10.
Old 21st July 2019
  #2
Gear Addict
 
chipss36's Avatar
 

S1 pro is a killer value, if you have artist, you
Have started down that path, it’s not a bad path to be on, last few updates have moved this daw way forward imo. The included plug ins, vi’s, and sound library’s are pretty good.
Melodyn is very useful.
I switched from pro tools to S1 pretty much most of the time now, I just like it better, it’s more intuitive to me.
Old 21st July 2019
  #3
Lives for gear
You can use Reaper for 60 days before you have to pay for a license.
If price is important then it is very hard to beat the Reaper ;-)

I upgraded my Studio One Artist to Studio One Professional on a Black Friday a few years ago for $150...the $200 upgrade is certainly worth it for the new and additional features in Professional.

I tried Reaper for a while, but decided that it wasn't for me. Primary DAW is Logic Pro X, Studio One is my secondary (some things like mastering are better workflow), and I use Harrison MixBus as a creative "kick in the pants" when mixing.

You certainly get a lot of value for the $200 upgrade...
Old 21st July 2019
  #4
Here for the gear
 

I'd say get both. S1 just passed up Cubase for me because of the new fully customizable macro toolbar (like being able to enter chords in the MIDI editor with a click of a button like you can in Cubase). And Reaper for $60 you'd be getting probably the deepest and most customizable DAW ever created. Updates and new features are added almost on a daily basis for Reaper too. S1 feels more modern and streamlined compared to Reaper but Reaper is awesome if you like to customize your workflow and geek out a bit. Check out the recent Sonic-State S1 v4.5 demonstration video. Lots of cool features!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=FYhciwVhToM
Old 22nd July 2019
  #5
Lives for gear
 
JoeyM's Avatar
I think the Studio One $199 sale is over, and with Reaper it's very close to v6 which is the place to buy a license, so I'd save for the time being and use time to watch videos. Use Reaper and don't mind the nag screen.

But then again I can't see Reaper without Studio One and vice versa. Each has near exactly what the other doesn't, and offers comparison.
Old 22nd July 2019
  #6
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
I think the Studio One $199 sale is over, and with Reaper it's very close to v6 which is the place to buy a license, so I'd save for the time being and use time to watch videos. Use Reaper and don't mind the nag screen.

But then again I can't see Reaper without Studio One and vice versa. Each has near exactly what the other doesn't, and offers comparison.
I'm still seeing it here for $200.97 USD: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...st-any-version.

* Edit: Since typing the above, I contacted Sweetwater and the price drop goes through July 29, 2019. This gives me a week to experiment with REAPER. *

It's such a tough decision choosing between the two. I need to be able to record guitars and keyboards, but need to program drums and am hoping to have no additional costs for drums after purchasing either S1 or REAPER.

The ultimate goal is to create music demos good enough for a handful of bands to hear, so they can decide whether to buy the songs. Any money saved if I buy REAPER could be used for more badly-needed gear. If they were priced the same, I'd go with S1 only because I've had a little experience with it.
Old 22nd July 2019
  #7
Gear Addict
 
chipss36's Avatar
 

This is just my take, S1 has been pretty aggressively going after market share with not only discounted pricing, but updates to the product that are very very good, avid opened the door to this with stupid ideas, and has in fact lost money for some time now. It’s a good time to be an S1 user.
Imho reaper is a good value, a bit clunky in workflow, and to me, kinda ugly, if I had to choose one to work with every day, it would be S1.
But both would work fine, and do what you need.
Old 22nd July 2019
  #8
I use Reaper and would never migrate to anything else. It runs light as a feather, never crashes, and I love the workflow - once you have your own favorites and templates it's fantastic. You can also run it on anything, the oldest worst laptop will run Reaper well - so you always have access to it. It takes like a minute to download and install.


That being said, at $200.00 that's a really good value for S1 - you're getting Melodyne, better included plugins, and a bunch of virtual instruments etc. above and beyond just the DAW. You're getting a nicer UI as well. If those things are of any interest to you, then it's probably a better value to get S1 at that price.
Old 22nd July 2019
  #9
Lives for gear
 
JoeyM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggcain View Post
I'm still seeing it here for $200.97 USD: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...st-any-version.

* Edit: Since typing the above, I contacted Sweetwater and the price drop goes through July 29, 2019. This gives me a week to experiment with REAPER. *

It's such a tough decision choosing between the two. I need to be able to record guitars and keyboards, but need to program drums and am hoping to have no additional costs for drums after purchasing either S1 or REAPER.

The ultimate goal is to create music demos good enough for a handful of bands to hear, so they can decide whether to buy the songs. Any money saved if I buy REAPER could be used for more badly-needed gear. If they were priced the same, I'd go with S1 only because I've had a little experience with it.
Calculus change? I'm on it!
Then absolutely get Studio One now. All that content and Melodyne and how easy it is setup to make tracks right here and now. Like everyone says, Reaper has it's plusses, but it's not very plussy trying to figure it out in the first place.

Secondly, Studio One should hold a respectable amount of its value with 5 activations that can be re-allocated (Melodyne only two at a time though) that should cover enough computers. So when everybody else jumps the price back to $299-399 it's only a $25 fee to transfer your license to a buyer and I'm guessing you'll do okay if worse comes to worse.

Then again S1 is 64-bit only, so you're out in the cold if you wanted this on a 32-bit computer. Reaper will run with a nag forever, meaning even if you break EULA it won't fail you.
So just pop for it and download the 30 GB of content and get comfortable with a tutorial guy named Johnny Geib - my favorite Melodyne explainer of all time

Tip: when you download the content, put it off to the side and copy it, so when you install StudioOne on subsequent computers it can be re-decrypted (automatically). Most of my content was downloaded for version 3 and I always kept the originals on external storage.

Last edited by JoeyM; 22nd July 2019 at 05:55 PM..
Old 22nd July 2019
  #10
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
I use Reaper and would never migrate to anything else. It runs light as a feather, never crashes, and I love the workflow - once you have your own favorites and templates it's fantastic. You can also run it on anything, the oldest worst laptop will run Reaper well - so you always have access to it. It takes like a minute to download and install.


That being said, at $200.00 that's a really good value for S1 - you're getting Melodyne, better included plugins, and a bunch of virtual instruments etc. above and beyond just the DAW. You're getting a nicer UI as well. If those things are of any interest to you, then it's probably a better value to get S1 at that price.
Thank you, all, for all the feedback. I'm constantly having to change out cables to record from different instruments, so the money saved from buying REAPER could be put towards buying an audio interface, such as a Focusrite 18i20. But then again... there are all those additional features included with S1 that you mentioned. Tough decision...
Old 22nd July 2019
  #11
Lives for gear
 
JoeyM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggcain View Post
Thank you, all, for all the feedback. I'm constantly having to change out cables to record from different instruments, so the money saved from buying REAPER could be put towards buying an audio interface, such as a Focusrite 18i20. But then again... there are all those additional features included with S1 that you mentioned. Tough decision...
Calculus overdrive yeah now it's getting out of my league, but you're right, the hardware is very important. Years ago I made some important tracks and digitized most of the family archives and was real glad I bought a Fireface 800. That would have bought a lot of software but it was so well transferred back then there isn't any nuance I can't bring up or even have Melodyne sound fantastic years later.

Now that you mentioned Sweetwater, that's where I'd gotten my Fireface and was glad for a good warranty three years down the road when it went toaster on me. Mine was replaced by a newer build and is still used daily here.

But if it's a matter what's smarter to put money on Reaper (before major revision) or S1 (on sale) that was easy. Hardware choice added, I don't know.
Old 22nd July 2019
  #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
Calculus overdrive yeah now it's getting out of my league, but you're right, the hardware is very important. Years ago I made some important tracks and digitized most of the family archives and was real glad I bought a Fireface 800. That would have bought a lot of software but it was so well transferred back then there isn't any nuance I can't bring up or even have Melodyne sound fantastic years later.

Now that you mentioned Sweetwater, that's where I'd gotten my Fireface and was glad for a good warranty three years down the road when it went toaster on me. Mine was replaced by a newer build and is still used daily here.

But if it's a matter what's smarter to put money on Reaper (before major revision) or S1 (on sale) that was easy. Hardware choice added, I don't know.
With Reaper you'll get free updates for quite a while if you buy now, up to version 6.99 ( they're at version 5.9 now. ).
Old 23rd July 2019
  #13
Lives for gear
 
JoeyM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
With Reaper you'll get free updates for quite a while if you buy now, up to version 6.99 ( they're at version 5.9 now. ).
Just so you know, my version only covers the 5x range so I'll have to get 6x anyway
Old 23rd July 2019
  #14
Gear Addict
 
TexasCat's Avatar
 

They are both good programs but Studio One has the advantage of being very intuitive. The drag and drop workflows are a real time saver and lets you get on with making music. To me, the program never gets in the way.

You also have the Presonus ecosystem. If you're considering a new interface as well the Presonus Quantum series is seamlessly integrated into Studio One.

I recently switched to Studio One from being a long time Pro Tools user and I'm all in. I even sold my Apollo Twin and ordered a Quantum.
Old 23rd July 2019
  #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCat View Post
They are both good programs but Studio One has the advantage of being very intuitive. The drag and drop workflows are a real time saver and lets you get on with making music. To me, the program never gets in the way.

You also have the Presonus ecosystem. If you're considering a new interface as well the Presonus Quantum series is seamlessly integrated into Studio One.

I recently switched to Studio One from being a long time Pro Tools user and I'm all in. I even sold my Apollo Twin and ordered a Quantum.
You can drag and drop in Reaper - import a file through drag and drop, create groups via drag and drop, move items and tracks via drag and drop and even assign sends via drag and drop.
Old 23rd July 2019
  #16
Gear Addict
 
TexasCat's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
You can drag and drop in Reaper - import a file through drag and drop, create groups via drag and drop, move items and tracks via drag and drop and even assign sends via drag and drop.
Interesting, sounds very similar. When I tried Reaper something just didn't click and I admittedly didn't dig very deep. Being a Pro Tools refugee took me a minute to accept different workflows.

I'm sure either program would be a good choice...
Old 23rd July 2019
  #17
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
But if it's a matter what's smarter to put money on Reaper (before major revision) or S1 (on sale) that was easy. Hardware choice added, I don't know.
JoeyM - Are you saying S1 or Reaper is the better choice?
Old 23rd July 2019
  #18
Lives for gear
 
JoeyM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggcain View Post
JoeyM - Are you saying S1 or Reaper is the better choice?
For buying right now with Studio One on sale; easily Studio One. Run Reaper as trial until you feel like buying it. I'm saying that with hindsight and saying if that were me.

My own opinion: I can't over-stress the importance of two DAWs, because when you are in a recording artist's mindset making music, and something goes haywire, plan B is use the other one.
If you look at all the release notes for Reaper AND Studio One for the last year, there are hundreds of problems that weren't your or mine's fault and had nothing to do with us. In one case Reaper saved me from an S1 tempo bug (they fixed it) and Studio One did what Reaper couldn't.

Just get both trials I guess. No one knows like yourself what will work best on your computer and even though I have opinions hard earned through blood sweat & tears, I've also been wrong before and that burns. Go ahead and see what's better.
Old 28th July 2019
  #19
Lives for gear
 
gentleclockdivid's Avatar
 

Check kvr audio , sell buy forum
Couple of months ago I bought a Studio ONe pro license for only 140 euro .
It took only 1 day to transfer the license
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump