The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Studio One functionality questions
Old 20th July 2019
Gear Head

Studio One functionality questions

I recently did a test comparing CPU usage and latency between Cubase (latest) and Studio One (latest). Studio One's CPU overhead was considerably lower, as was the latency. And overall it feels faster and more responsive, not to mention I think it looks amazing! For these reasons, I'm trying to make the switch (again).

That said, I've run in to several issues that inhibit my workflow in varying degrees. I would appreciate any feedback/help on the following items:
  • How can I silence a range of an audio event?

If I select a range and want it to be silent (e.g., removing noises between parts), other than deleting that range, there's no quick way to make it silent. Deleting the range is irritating because then I have to join two events to make them one again.

• Is it possible to do re-record, where upon pressing a KC, playback is stopped, the present take is deleted, and it returns to where it started in the first place and starts recording again (with a pre-count, if that function is activated)?

I've tried the posted re-record formula (https://answers.presonus.com/17367/p...ecord-function) and it almost works, except if you record something, stop playback, and then activate Re-record again, it deletes the previous take. The built in Restart Recording macro doesn't work quite right either because it always restarts at the origin (or wherever the L locator is set). The problem here is if I activate playback and want to start recording (at a location other then the L locator), it goes back to the L locator. So the only way this works is to constantly set the L locator, which is slow.

• Can I save an Insert FX chain for a channel that has both pre and post FX?

It seems they need to be saved separately. Means for chains where I have pre and post FX, I have to load two presets.

• How can I set the metronome so it uses a constant count base?

E.g., I always want my count base to be 8th notes. If I turn on the offbeat in the metronome, if I go to a time signature with x/16 base, I get 32nd note offbeats which makes my head want to explode. The only workaround I've found is e.g., instead of using 4/4 to program 8/8 - but this still doesn't produce the desired result because all beats are equal velocity in the click, rather than the downbeats being louder.

• How can I use a plugin on the master bus that's never rendered without having to bypass it prior to exporting a mix?

I use Sonarworks Systemwide as the last plugin on my master bus. When I do a mixdown, I have to disable it. In Cubase it just exists in the Control Room and never affects rendered files.

• How can I switch between multiple monitor sources (each with their own FX chain, like room correction specific to the specific speaker/room)?

Cubase's Control Room allows for multiple output profiles to be saved so I can switch between speaker sets (all with their own plugin chains).

• How can I select multiple notes with multiple pitches in the MIDI Editor and be able to edit all their velocities?

When editing MIDI, I can't select a group of notes that are different pitches and edit the velocities at once. I have to do it pitch by pitch.

• On a similar note, how can I select multiple notes (different pitches) and ramp them up/down while maintaining their relative velocities?

Cubase allows to grab handles at either end to create ramps and a node in the center to move all the velocities up/down while maintaining relative velocities for the selected notes.

• How can I make it so Disabled tracks aren't loaded until re-enabled?

E.g., if I have an instrument track that takes up a bunch of memory but have it disabled, I don't want it to add on to the project load time and system resources.

• How can I save universal screen sets?

E.g., I have my project window on my L monitor and the Editor window in the top R monitor with the Mixer below it. This is a configuration I'd like to recall for all my projects without having to manually set it.

• How can I see timelines with bars/beats and seconds/minutes at the same time?

I appreciate your help!
Old 21st July 2019
Lives for gear

I've just read this and have some answers for you but you'll have to give me a few mins to type them up.

I'm also curious about your universal screen sets question.
But if it's just one main custom layout you use all the time, like I do, set everything up how you want it with all your windows spread over the screens, and channels/auxes set up, then go to File and save as a template.

That will only apply to projects you start from now, though.
Old 21st July 2019
Lives for gear

Ok.
(Edited to update the midi info).

How can I silence a range of an audio event?

Select the range and press Shift+ M (toggle event mute).

Is it possible to do re-record, where upon pressing a KC, playback is stopped, the present take is deleted, and it returns to where it started in the first place and starts recording again (with a pre-count, if that function is activated)?

It should be. Looking at the macro in that link, you could try just removing the 'Undo' command, and see what happens.

Can I save an Insert FX chain for a channel that has both pre and post FX?

Only the Master Out has pre and post fx in Studio One.
I assume you mean inserts (pre-fader) and sends (pre- or post-fader).

You used to be able to save a whole channel? Maybe not, I can't find it.
Maybe I'm thinking about exporting instrument presets with their channels.
That could be a way in, I need to figure out where the export channel options have gone, if they were even there in the first place.. Maybe that was Cubase.

How can I set the metronome so it uses a constant count base?

No idea..!

How can I use a plugin on the master bus that's never rendered without having to bypass it prior to exporting a mix?

When you export, just tick the checkbox that says 'Bypass master effects'.

How can I switch between multiple monitor sources (each with their own FX chain, like room correction specific to the specific speaker/room)?

Those separate output configs would have to exist in the S1 console, there isn't a separate CR app.
You could still have it set up as one-touch though:
Create a clean aux master stereo channel that all your tracks/busses feed to as usual.
Create as many output channels as you have monitor sets, and load them with the FX you want on each one.
Set 0dBFS pre-fade send level to each of the monitor outputs from the aux master and turn its fader right down.

Keep the monitor output channels muted other than the one you want to hear.

How can I select multiple notes with multiple pitches in the MIDI Editor and be able to edit all their velocities?

In the editor you just drag-select all the notes you want then click and drag one of their velocities. They'll change by whatever value you raise or lower to but will keep their relative values.
Works fine here, as it always has!

On a similar note, how can I select multiple notes (different pitches) and ramp them up/down while maintaining their relative velocities?

Use the midi transform tool. It's part of the Paint tool subset in the editor. (Hit the number 3 key until you get a crosshair).
When you drag this over any note selection, you'll get an overlay of an ugly greenish-brown colour which has handles everywhere.
You can drag them into all kinds of shapes and ramps as well as raise and lower, and they'll keep their relative values the whole time.

How can I make it so Disabled tracks aren't loaded until re-enabled?

Disabled tracks do not use any resources. That's the point of disabling them!
You can also transform an instrument track to audio and choose whether to keep the instrument loaded or unload it, and whether to keep all settings to revert back to Instrument state.
You can also render inserts which then switches them off or leave them live.

How can I save universal screen sets?

Save as Template, but only gives you one.

How can I see timelines with bars/beats and seconds/minutes at the same time?

No idea on this one either, couldn't find an easy way anyway..
Old 21st July 2019
Gear Head

@ Quetz - Thank you so much for your thorough response! I definitely learned several things.

That said, as described below, many of the issues I raised remain unresolved.

Select the range and press Shift+ M (toggle event mute).

This works, however it it slices up the event, which I don't want. I wonder if a macro could be created that would take the selected range and drop the level by e.g., 100dB?

It should be. Looking at the macro in that link, you could try just removing the 'Undo' command, and see what happens.

Removing the Undo leaves the last (unwanted) take in place which means I'd have to go through and manually delete all the unwanted takes. Another problem with this Re-record and the built in Restart Recording macro is if playback is not activated prior to pressing the KC, it seems to always start from the origin.

Only the Master Out has pre and post fx in Studio One.
I assume you mean inserts (pre-fader) and sends (pre- or post-fader).

Good point.

When you export, just tick the checkbox that says 'Bypass master effects'.

I was specifically talking about a single effect on the master chain while leaving the other FX on. I would have to just manually bypass it before going to render. Which isn't necessarily a big deal, but I forget half the time and S1 doesn't allow for clicking any of the background screens when the Export audio window is open - so I have to close it, press bypass, and then reopen it.

Those separate output configs would have to exist in the S1 console, there isn't a separate CR app.
You could still have it set up as one-touch though:
Create a clean aux master stereo channel that all your tracks/busses feed to as usual.
Create as many output channels as you have monitor sets, and load them with the FX you want on each one.
Set 0dBFS pre-fade send level to each of the monitor outputs from the aux master and turn its fader right down.

Keep the monitor output channels muted other than the one you want to hear.

Very clever!

In the editor you just drag-select all the notes you want then click and drag one of their velocities. They'll change by whatever value you raise or lower to but will keep their relative values.

This doesn't work for the drum editor. If multiple notes that are different pitches are selected it only selects a note (or notes) from a single pitch.

Use the midi transform tool. It's part of the Paint tool subset in the editor. (Hit the number 3 key until you get a crosshair).
When you drag this over any note selection, you'll get an overlay of an ugly greenish-brown colour which has handles everywhere.
You can drag them into all kinds of shapes and ramps as well as raise and lower, and they'll keep their relative values the whole time.

I see. It works, but it requires extra clicking (at least compared to how this works in Cubase).

Disabled tracks do not use any resources. That's the point of disabling them!
You can also transform an instrument track to audio and choose whether to keep the instrument loaded or unload it, and whether to keep all settings to revert back to Instrument state.
You can also render inserts which then switches them off or leave them live.

This is what I thought, but I had a disabled instrument track and I saw it loading the samples from that instrument when I loaded the project.

Save as Template, but only gives you one.

Gotcha - so basically this is a missing functionality.

No idea on this one either, couldn't find an easy way anyway.

Another missing functionality - bummer!

I realize many of the aforementioned issues are small might seem trivial to some, but for me these little things add up.
Old 22nd July 2019
Lives for gear

It does slice the event, you're right.
That shouldn't be the default behaviour. Yes you could make a macro, but just do one that mutes the range then glues them back together again.

There'll be someone that's actively recording that can better help you with the takes macro.
I would ask that as a separate question, search for it first, I'm sure it's not the first time it's come up.

Interesting that you can't select and drag in the drum view like you can other midi notes.

I should have said all outputs have pre and post, not just the master out, for accuracy.

That method of routing pre-fader to other buses can solve your master effects problem too.
Have everything cascading into one final bus that has only your sonarworks plug on it.
Then using the bypass master effects checkbox will work for you.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search