The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Pro Tools to Studio One Transition?
Old 23rd June 2019
Lives for gear

Pro Tools to Studio One Transition?

I've been a Pro Tools user for 15 years, and have a lot of recording console/analog workflow built in to me, so Pro Tools has always made sense to me as my primary DAW. I'm not a studio but I do some freelance work with rock bands and my own bands, so being able to playlist and edit real drums/etc efficiently is part of my typical use. All normal mixing expectations, automation, etc...part of that as well. I also compose for film, so I need video and timecode facility. I don't need to edit video, generally I'm just dropping in a whole video file and syncing to timecode, then working from there. Creating templates, as well. I don't need crazy MIDI or score functionality, generally basic MIDI is pretty adequate I think?

Not surprisingly I also have hundreds if not thousands of Pro Tools sessions from this time, some of which may be worth going back to at some point. I also have a collaborator that is heavily invested in writing with Pro Tools, so I'll be taking his sessions from time to time.

Now I'm looking to move away from the Pro Tools business model. I'm Mac based currently, but I am not confident that I will stay with Apple forever either, which is why I'm not sure if I want to try moving to Logic.

Am I barking up the right tree, or should I be looking at Cubase, or something else? I am fast with Pro Tools, so I would really like to be fast in whatever my next DAW is.
Old 23rd June 2019
They killed the thread on DUC when Presonus did the crossgrade thing, and it got posted over there, but someone posted a series of videos by the protoolsexpert/Studio1expert guys on the differences. I watched them, and they weren't too bad.

I set up studio1 with the protools shortcuts, but it didn't seem to help at first, then I started looking at/fixing the shortcuts, and it got much better. Not splitting at the cursor when I hit "b" was driving me nuts
Old 27th June 2019
Gear Addict

I'm in the same situation as you. I've been using Pro Tools since the very beginning of Pro Tools and honestly they've been going downhill since v10. I have put off learning anything new because I've been a user for so long but it's time for me to move on.

I've been demoing Studio One for about a week now and it's really a great program. I struggled a little at first but after I accepted that it is a different program and started learning the way it does things I think I like a lot of things even better than Pro Tools.

I really like the plugin browser. I've got so many programs that the pull down menu in PT became cumbersome to scroll thru. With S1's drag and drop it's a breeze. And the "hide" feature makes cleaning up all those UAD demo plugins a non issue.

The monitoring is much more efficient. In PT the smallest buffer I can use is 128 or else the CPU spikes and brings the whole system down. In S1 i can use 32 and all is smooth as can be.

Demo it and see for yourself. I'm pulling the trigger on the crossgrade offer and not looking back.
Old 28th June 2019
Gear Maniac
Has studio one implemented anything like sync points in a clip yet? This for me remains the biggest thing missing (for workflow ) .. as well as eucon.
Old 28th June 2019
Lives for gear

Hi guys,

I use S1 and Pro Tools daily. I too have become a bit dismayed at the turn of events with protools new business model. They seem determined to move everyone to a subscription based model. I've been with PT since version 5 which puts me at 20 years with the platform.

I am currently running:

2010 12 core 3.46ghz with 64 gigs of ram
1 Hdx
1 avid 16 io
2 avid 192
1 focusrite 16line rednet (love the pres in this) used with S1
1 focusrite rednet pcie card used with s1
1 uad octo card
1 benchmark dac 1

Basically, there still is no system out there that is more powerful and lower latency than pt HDX. There just isn't. The new mac pro may be a game changer but it is still just more horse power with older tech. However, in S1 I can record audio with a buffer size of 16 at 44.1/48k and 32 at higher sample rates. it is the first native system that is workable for me in this regard. S1 and vi's do sound better at higher sample rates but my system can't handle it. Aside from this I much more enjoy composing in S1 than I do in pt. S1 is a good halfway point between Live and pt. For editing and recording audio pt is hard to beat. For mixing maybe a tie but a slight edge to s1. S1 is lightening fast in creating buses and aux channels over all faster but for organization, flexibilty, transport controls and stability... pt all day. I hate s1's gui as i feel it is too cluttered and not as snappy plus you dont have as flexible transport, nudging, cross fading and grid display as you do with pt. Time stretching/elastic audio is better in s1 but transient detection is better is pt.

S1 is getting there for sure and the latest release has seriously made me question a few things. S1 may eventually replace pt for me. Overall if I had to pick one it would be s1 but pt is soooo good at what it does it is hard to imagine leaving. I also have a lot of hardware (kinda over the plugin thing) and ease of hardware integration is fantastic in pt....but s1's new pipeline could sway me. Just haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

hope this helps.

ej

Last edited by ejsongs; 28th June 2019 at 01:01 PM..
Old 28th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsongs View Post
Hi guys,

I use S1 and Pro Tools daily.
-snip-
1 focusrite 16line rednet (love the pres in this) used with S1
1 focusrite rednet pcie card used with s1
-snip-
However, in S1 I can record audio with a buffer size of 16 at 44.1/48k and 32 at higher sample rates. it is the first native system that is workable for me in this regard.
-snip-
I am very interested in this. I've been intrigued by Dante for a while but with the Pro Tools Vanilla 32 i/o limit it seemed pointless. Now with S1 I'm reconsidering it.

My question is about the latency. Is it low enough with low buffers of 16 or 32 to monitor thru the software and record vocals without comb filtering?

Anytime I tried to monitor thru PT I just couldn't do it. I'm going to try Vocals in S1 monitoring thru the software (my Apollo will go down to 32) this weekend to see how it goes.
Old 28th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCat View Post
I am very interested in this. I've been intrigued by Dante for a while but with the Pro Tools Vanilla 32 i/o limit it seemed pointless. Now with S1 I'm reconsidering it.

My question is about the latency. Is it low enough with low buffers of 16 or 32 to monitor thru the software and record vocals without comb filtering?

Anytime I tried to monitor thru PT I just couldn't do it. I'm going to try Vocals in S1 monitoring thru the software (my Apollo will go down to 32) this weekend to see how it goes.
Short answer yes ...with a few plugins as well. Be advised that you need to use the input channel/fader and use what ever plugins that you want to print such as autotune there. Not on the actual tracks. S1 is different in this regard. Focusrite will go down to a 16 buffer.

Hope this makes sense.

ej
Old 30th June 2019
Another longtime PT user (since v5) migrating to S1. Just can't handle their marketing BS and the subscription shenanigans. Demo'd S1 last week -- my first time using any other DAW in fifteen years -- and am finding the adjustment to be relatively quick and HIGHLY enjoyable. S1 feels like a 21st century DAW.
Old 30th June 2019
Gear Addict

Two things l got rid off.
1. Mac Pro Xeon in 2012, went PC.
2. Protools. In 2012

I went the Reason route as my DAW. 2017 l got S1. Im very happy. I have 2 of the baddest DAWs. I will never have PT in my home studio ever. Let the majors deal with that.
Old 30th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
Another longtime PT user (since v5) migrating to S1. Just can't handle their marketing BS and the subscription shenanigans. Demo'd S1 last week -- my first time using any other DAW in fifteen years -- and am finding the adjustment to be relatively quick and HIGHLY enjoyable. S1 feels like a 21st century DAW.
I agree. They are jumping on the subscription bandwagon. Why in the hell would lbwant to do that? Apple is on some nonsense also.
Old 1st July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave east View Post
Two things l got rid off.
1. Mac Pro Xeon in 2012, went PC.
2. Protools. In 2012

I went the Reason route as my DAW. 2017 l got S1. Im very happy. I have 2 of the baddest DAWs. I will never have PT in my home studio ever. Let the majors deal with that.
I love writing within Reason (since 1, and i have 10) however it doesn’t have a video engine and editing functionality isn’t quite like I am used to.
Old 1st July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCat View Post
I'm in the same situation as you. I've been using Pro Tools since the very beginning of Pro Tools and honestly they've been going downhill since v10. I have put off learning anything new because I've been a user for so long but it's time for me to move on.

I've been demoing Studio One for about a week now and it's really a great program. I struggled a little at first but after I accepted that it is a different program and started learning the way it does things I think I like a lot of things even better than Pro Tools.

I really like the plugin browser. I've got so many programs that the pull down menu in PT became cumbersome to scroll thru. With S1's drag and drop it's a breeze. And the "hide" feature makes cleaning up all those UAD demo plugins a non issue.

The monitoring is much more efficient. In PT the smallest buffer I can use is 128 or else the CPU spikes and brings the whole system down. In S1 i can use 32 and all is smooth as can be.

Demo it and see for yourself. I'm pulling the trigger on the crossgrade offer and not looking back.
I did download the demo and monkey with it a bit, I need to fiddle with it some more to feel confident.
Old 1st July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
I love writing within Reason (since 1, and i have 10) however it doesn’t have a video engine and editing functionality isn’t quite like I am used to.
How are you? Indeed l lovee to make music and mix in Reason 10. I master in S1v4. Reason is so dope its the only program l know where you can have actual keyboards cloned and put in a Combinator format and havevthe exact same sounds from that keyboard. Refill 3rd party companies are doing an amazing job at making skins and the exact sounds. Like below. The DW8000, but called DW9000.

I dont need hardware , the rack can stack as many as l want. Now with addition of bus channels its so easy to gain stage and mix.
I can go on.

S1v4 is just dope all around. All lm looking for is when l make drum patterns they fall on the grid right. Reason's squencer grid is tight. Dam near like the MPC.
Old 4th July 2019
Here for the gear

Question

I have moved from PT to S1 via the rent to own offer at Splice.com. So far so good. A lot more stable than PT ever was.
I cant seem to figure out how to pan a send to an Aux/FX track though?? I do hope this is possible.
Old 4th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goto10 View Post
I have moved from PT to S1 via the rent to own offer at Splice.com. So far so good. A lot more stable than PT ever was.
I cant seem to figure out how to pan a send to an Aux/FX track though?? I do hope this is possible.
Oh snap. You can rent to own S1V4? Dammmm can you rent to own PT?
Old 10th July 2019
Gear Addict

The sound quality just sound better in S1V4 than PT. The headroom is ridiculous. I am loving it.
Old 13th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Jumped the pro tools price gouging for studio one pro, I have found s1 to be pretty intuitive,
The producer side of it is miles ahead of pt.
And have learned faster than I ever did with pt.
No cpu spikes and crashes are even better.
Started with pt6!
However even if it was twice as hard to use I would have gone to another daw anyway, done with pt, and will not support a company like that.
I demo’ed s1 for a few days first, then went and purchased pro. Try the demo! And see what you think.
Two major updates have happened since I purchased s1, both cost me nothing...
No regrets, wish I did It sooner.
Old 13th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipss36 View Post
Jumped the pro tools price gouging for studio one pro, I have found s1 to be pretty intuitive,
The producer side of it is miles ahead of pt.
And have learned faster than I ever did with pt.
No cpu spikes and crashes are even better.
Started with pt6!
However even if it was twice as hard to use I would have gone to another daw anyway, done with pt, and will not support a company like that.
I demo’ed s1 for a few days first, then went and purchased pro. Try the demo! And see what you think.
Two major updates have happened since I purchased s1, both cost me nothing...
No regrets, wish I did It sooner.
Thank you! People would look at me crazy for saying l don't like PT. They don't know what l went through with PT.

The things S1v4 has PT don't. You have to buy them. Lets put it this way l don't miss PT.
Old 13th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave east View Post
Oh snap. You can rent to own S1V4? Dammmm can you rent to own PT?
No but you can buy pt perpetual, think you are upgrading yearly pt tax for $99. Like you did in years past,
And then in fact loose it. And end up with nothing!

Wonder how many will fall for this slight of hand, avid has no shame.

I do read the fine print avid, and am pointing out this wrong doing!
Old 13th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipss36 View Post
No but you can buy pt perpetual, think you are upgrading yearly pt tax for $99. Like you did in years past,
And then in fact loose it. And end up with nothing!

Wonder how many will fall for this slight of hand, avid has no shame.

I do read the fine print avid, and am pointing out this wrong doing!
I was being sarcastic when l asked can you rent PT. LOL
But dam you just shed some new light. Avod still playing games huh? Smh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search